Need some advice lads!

Oz22

Reaction score
I'm 22 and i run my own landscaping company, obviously it's great being able to decide what days you work ect... but for the last 5 years i have been considering joining the Marines. I know what your thinking lads, 5 years is a long time to consider something but it seems that i can't get it out of my head.
It doesn't help that i'm mentally in a rut, because this means making any kind of decision is difficult.

I have come to the conclusion that i am indicisive!

Any constructive advice welcome lads?

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
For when you exercise, tell your self

"if I'm not sweating like a pig and all my muscles don't hurt by the end of the day I'm not training right"

That's what I do

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its better to live a day as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm.

S

Sotiris

Here's my opinion:

Sell your company, apply for YO training. Use your experience to sell yourself. Tell them how you have developed your leadership skills to some extent doing what you did and now you wish to lead the meanest, toughest most badass men on the planet.

Do it.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Go For It Mate

OZZ: If you're into landscaping, you'll have no problems digging your shell scrapes mate!!

Don't sit on the fence. Follow your ambition and go for it.

Best Regards

Steve

Oz22

Reaction score
Cheers Steve, digging holes could be my speciality in the Corps!

Thanks for your advice everyone, it's all on me now!

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Could you offord the pay cut? I'm guessing you earn a fair bit as its your own business, could be wrong though!!

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i run my own electrical business mate but no matter how good work was it still wasnt enough to make me jump out of bed in the morning. i was unhappy and stuck in a rut similar to yourself. ive had the marines eating away at me since i was about 19 and i just found myself weighing up the pros and cons for months.

one day i just thought *text deleted**text deleted* it, what have i got to loose. a 3 minute phone call to afco and 5 months later im 2 weeks away from prmc. im fitter, happier, more focused and more determined than i have ever been for a long time.

go for it mate youve nothing to loose, if its not for you at least youve had the bollocks to try it, but trust me theres nothing more head wrecking than just sitting there doing the shall i, shouldnt i thing.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cheers Steve, digging holes could be my speciality in the Corps!

Thanks for your advice everyone, it's all on me now!
Theres no harm in trying it out, it may really not be for you and you may hate it, or not be able to cut the grade, but at least you would have tried.

Failing on the first day is better than not trying at all.

Oz22

Reaction score
Cheers lads, thats exactly what i needed to hear. Grimesy i can relate to you on that, everyday i have a battle with my mind.
So much of the Marines appeals to me, the mates you make, the adventure, travel, sports, serving your country, being part of an elite, we all know why it appeals to us.
One thing is for sure, i don't want to go throught life not achieving what i know i can and look back one day and regret not giving it a shot.

john boy

Reaction score
Hi mate, i was in the same position as yourself after running my own tiling buisness for 5 years it came to the point when if thought i just aint getting any satisfaction from the job anymore.The money was great as well as having the freedom to decide when i took a holiday and all that but it felt like all my life was wrapped up around the buisness. I was working long hours through the week and most weekends then having to price up and give quotes in the evenings.
It felt brilliant when the job was complete and to have the customer say they loved the work then passing my number onto there friends but one day down the pub whilst with a load of other tradesman i realised all we had to talk about was the work we was doing and what new tools we had plus was'nt leading much of a life and thought *text deleted**text deleted* i feel like im turning into boring *text deleted**text deleted* something needs to change. Thats when i packed it all in and went travelling for a bit to think what i really wanted out of life and decide joining the marines was it after stewing on the idea for quite some time.
Since being back im still doing the tiling but for someone else, the money is less but im not doing the long hours and weeks i was which gives me the time to train.The way i see it is its a trade ive got under my belt now which i wont forget so why not give something else ago that i really want and one i want to get out of bed for in the morning and that also puts a big grin on my face everyday knowing im having the time of my life whilst the lot down the pub are still talking about there new makita drills!!

My advice fella is go for it if u really want it, in ten years time u dont want to be sat their going i wish i done that plus your'll have some wicked storys to tell the grandkids in later life.

All the best with it all if u decide to pursue joining the marines.

rcopley1

Reaction score
Good luck fella wit wateva u choose to do............but i think FUK IT U ONLY LIVE ONCE!!! might as well hav a stab, its *text deleted* own business so if u dont like royal marine life then u can always go back to it!! ; )

User infraction: Text Speak

Oz22

Reaction score
Cheers lads, thanks for all your advice!

I have my interview coming up soon so i should be on a PRMC by December.