need some creativity

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ok, the basics first. I work full time and im struggling to get enought phys in!

its a 9.30- 5.30 5 days a week job. not big I know but getting the needed stuff in is so tough.

so the week looks like this on average anyway.

monday:
6mile cycle to work
russian push up programme during the day
6mile cycle home
1 hour american football
1.5 hour thai boxing

tuesday
6mile cycle work
push up programme
6mile cycle home

wednesday
6miles to work
push up programme
6miles home
-krav maga 1.5hours usually instead 5 mile run

thursday
usually train into work feel so beat up
no push ups as above
train home
TRY and go for a 5 mile run. 50% of the time it works

wednesday
6miles to work
push ups at work
train home
1 hour wing tsun/chun training

friday
6 mile cycle to work
push ups at work
6miles home

arguments sake lets say off the whole weekend. but usually two random days during the week, and off 1 in four saturdays and hardly get two days in a row...classic retail job!

any creative ideas to get the proper phys needed.

I have tried the morining run thing but with the cycling it just tears me to shreds in three days!

I have a home gym and also a classic pay not to got the gym membership too!

any help or ideas will help cheers lads or just point me in a direction of something useful. thanks a lot

S

stokey_14

Get out of bed earlier, when you do train, keep intensity high cutting down the time needed.

Run before work, your body will get used to it, a six mile cycle isn?t exactly crazy distance. Suck it up, get proper nutrition and foam roll after the run.

Stop thinking about the complex ways of fitting training in. Make time, then make the most of that time.

Stokey

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly mate you're overtraining, it's a negative effect on your fitness.
Take a full rest day somewhere in the middle of the week. Eat right. DO NOT OVERTRAIN. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

For example, my crossfit-style Tabata coach has set me an experiment to try the below plan for 4 weeks and see how it helps, rather than a traditional RM-style plan. I thought it looked daft at first but must admit I'm already feeling fitter and getting higher reps on exercises. If running times start to drop (there's only 1 run a week) I'll be allowed to add a 400m Sprints session after the 4-week experiment, and test that for another 4 weeks:

Monday: Rest/sometimes 2.5 hours Handball
Tuesday: Crossfit-style Tabata (5 rounds, 5 minutes rest)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Tabata (5 rounds, 5 mins rest)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Tabata (7 rounds, 2 mins rest)
Sunday: 5 mile run with some hill sprints thrown in for good measure.

REST is not to be underestimated.

S

stokey_14

Honestly mate you're overtraining, it's a negative effect on your fitness.
Take a full rest day somewhere in the middle of the week. Eat right. DO NOT OVERTRAIN. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

For example, my crossfit-style Tabata coach has set me an experiment to try the below plan for 4 weeks and see how it helps, rather than a traditional RM-style plan. I thought it looked daft at first but must admit I'm already feeling fitter and getting higher reps on exercises. If running times start to drop (there's only 1 run a week) I'll be allowed to add a 400m Sprints session after the 4-week experiment, and test that for another 4 weeks:

Monday: Rest/sometimes 2.5 hours Handball
Tuesday: Crossfit-style Tabata (5 rounds, 5 minutes rest)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Tabata (5 rounds, 5 mins rest)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Tabata (7 rounds, 2 mins rest)
Sunday: 5 mile run with some hill sprints thrown in for good measure.

REST is not to be underestimated.

Sorry, hate to be an argumentative git but well? I am haha

How can you categorically state that the OP is over-training? With out knowing his training history, work capacity, diet/recovery plan etc

Combine that with the fact very few people have the work capacity to over train in the first place I think to state that he is doing just that is a little knee jerk.

He maybe over-reaching, however what he?s written out is not overtly crazy.

It?s all to easy to cry over training when in fact he could be, under eating, not making the most of his recovery time or simply not having an issue with this volume of work.

As far as I can see he is complaining about the lack of time and trying to squeeze his phys in more efficiently. Not struggling due to fatigue. Or noting any negative effects on his training.

Finally, whilst I?m not knocking your so called tabata training and indeed fully endorse this style of training (not strictly tabata as true tabata is only one round long) I personally wouldn?t be doing it that often. Not saying stop, if it works for you great but I personally prefer more verity in my workload.

Stokey

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cheers lads both very helpful...yeah my diet isnt great but i just seem to struggle with time management and getting things done.

will try this tabata thing out. as it seems small on time and thats what im looking fo rjust to jump start me back into training....

might sack the thai boxing as it isnt that intresting to me just using as its straight after my american football in the same school.

might head back to the gym 2/3 times a week before work and get the train in save being shredded then cycle home...

what exercises for tabata you be best. i was thinking burpees, press-ups, lunges and sit ups. as when i did my prmc it was like press up/burpee central!