Need some help, badly!

Roach

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is Ryan
I'm a Mauritian and I presently live in Mozambique, I've filled the online application form some two months ago and got a letter from the Navy asking me to call them. As I've been in Mozambique for the past two years, they told me they are unable to run the security checks.
Unless I have a member of the British armed forces (or retired for less than two years) willing to sponsor me they won't consider my application.
I've dreamed of joining an elite fighting force since I was a kid, though my environment, my culture and my family had set an entirely different course for my life.
I'm 28 now, I've got a master's degree, I'm a teacher and the only thing I want is to join the Royal Marines, I'm working hard for it, I run 13km in one hour thrice a week, I do 3 series of 60 push ups, 3 of 60 half sit-ups and 3 series of 12 chin-ups every day, I often swim 1.5 km in 45 minutes... I have no criminal records whatsoever (or else I wouldn't be authorized to teach at the French School of Maputo in Mozambique).
Now I need your help, I'm highly motivated as few of you could ever imagine, I want this job, badly, it's a calling, I'm willing to drop everything in my comfortable life to get my ass kicked and run in the mud for 8 months but I would just like to be given a chance to make it to the commando course.
I know that people here will understand how bad I want to join and how frustrating it is to be unable to just prove that you're worth being picked up for the training.
So if someone could help me, please contact me.

Thank you and hope I see you in Lympstone someday

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Roach,

Sorry about your problems in joining mate, unfortunately they look into the person who is vouching for you and how they know you?

If it turns out they don't know you and providing false references then they face charges.

Unfortunately this is asked a lot on here and no way round it I'm afraid.

Roach

Reaction score
Why don't you join the French Foreign Legion?

I'm a Commonwealth citizen, a subject of Her Majesty and I feel some kind of loyalty towards the Crown, my great-uncle fought in North Africa and Italy during WWII.
Moreover having spent 8 years in France I know a good deal about the Legion and their basic training, 4 months without any leave or even permission for a phone call, stuck with 50 non-french-speaking gallows birds, learning to sing, or speak french and mopping the floor half the time instead of doing cool stuff, no thanks.
As for bribery no way but thanks for the advice though.

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey roach good luck with it all, im half mauritian, nice to see other mauritians giving it ago :lovey:

Im off to seychelles and mauritiaus for 3 weeks next week :cool::cool:

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Can't you move to the UK for two years, possibly do some teaching?

I know it's a long route, but it sounds like it'll be your only option.

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is a problem, being in the uk when you apply would help tho, if i were in your position and wanted it like i/you do id move to the uk and get to a local afco, there are always extenuating circumnstances. Living out of the uk currently you'll find that the navy will be less inclined to help you.

Roach

Reaction score
I won't give up, thank you guys for your comments.
I will come to the UK and get to an AFCO but before that I need to spare some money since I'll be "dropped" in the UK without any job and I'll have to wait some 6 months (or more) before knowing whether I'm in or not.
I could also apply for the army or the RAF but there's something special about that green beret and that globe, I've definitely got a crush for the RM.
Cheers mates.