Need To Improve Quick

foss

Reaction score
Hello Ppl I Have A Huge Problem I Think Il Be Going On My Prmc In Abwt A Month And A Half And The Problem Is I Can Only Do Abround 20 Push Ups And *text deleted* This Is No Were Near The Standard Is Ther A Way I Can Improve My Push Ups So I Could Get Around The 45 Mark *text deleted* E.g Different Exercises I Could Do Ect. Il Try Anything *text deleted*
Thanks

JasonMc

Reaction score
The best thing for push-ups mate is push-ups make sure your running, pull-ups, sit-ups etc.are all okay then the push-ups will more than likely fall into place naturally with a bit of elbow grease and a 'can-do' attitude!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you do know you can prospone your prmc until you feel fit enough to do it, just talk to your AFCO and i expect if you tell him that you recon your not fit enough to pass then they will prospone the date, the last thing you and they would want is for you to fail because it doesn't only look bad on you but them as well. but what jasonMc said, just do push ups over and over again. go on www.100pushups.com i think it is. that will help loads

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is absolutely no point attending a PRMC until you are 100% ready to go. There is no shame in delaying it until you are ready- far rather that than face the ignominy of failing.

If you're struggling with press-ups, achieving less than a third of the target, odds are you will struggle to complete over 4 pull-ups also.

There's no "quick fix" unfortunately, just dogged determination and consolidated regular exercise.

Good luck!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Closed grip is good. Tricep dips will help, Tricep pull downs also. Try doing these then maxing out pressups.
Do closed grip press ups, then marine pressups, then wide arm. So they get progesivly easier. No break, stay in pressup position just move your arms further apart.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's www.100pushups.info this will get your push ups upto standard in 1 month withoud doubt, look at me, 4 months into training and I can do 83 in 2 minutes, I struggled with 30 overall at the beginning of this year. Pull ups are good too underarm, overarm, close grip, wide grip, as wide as your arms go grip (This is what gets you a V shaped body, but don't expcet to do more than 2 to start with).

A big mistake most people make is breathing DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH of course if you want to starve the oxygen to your brain and muscles and black out then be my guest, fatigue can be delayed a long time just simple by breathing correctly while exercising thus producing better results, a simple guide for every exercise is breath OUT when you're doing the hard bit of the exercise, with push ups this means breath OUT when you push out into the locked arms position, with sit ups breath OUT as your elbows touch your knees, with tricep dips breath OUT as you push upwards to the 'almost' locked arm position, with pull ups breat OUT as you pull up and out as you lower.

Oxygen is key, also do the 100 push up program and without doubt you'll be doing loads in no time before the month is up

foss

Reaction score
cheers lads but im not really strugeling wiv anything else other than press ups i can do 8 pull ups and 72 sit ups but im really bad at push ups

ChrisL

Reaction score
*text deleted* jst had a look at that 100 push up thing! i dont understand how it works..because after uv dun *text deleted* first set the push up decrease! therefor surely u wont becum stronger

SR

Reaction score
*text deleted* jst had a look at that 100 push up thing! i dont understand how it works..because after uv dun *text deleted* first set the push up decrease! therefor surely u wont becum stronger

I thought that but it does work.

On the series 5 i would aim for at least what i did in series 1. For example
22, 18, 16, 14, 22+

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you've never heard of pyramid training before then you should learn now. Pyramid training has been going a very very long time and has worked for all successful body builders, some body builders use reverse pyramid training which is starting small and getting heavier, or in our case less reps first then increasing reps but this wouldn't work maxing out your push ups then having to do a certain ammount, you'd just be blown out before you start!

Although the 'guide' is spot on in how they 'guide' you to train for the Royal Marines, it doesn't mean this is the only way to train. Pyramid training has been going long before the Royal Marines brought out a fitness programme.

Remember there's more than 1 way to work out and in my honest opinion pyramid training will give you better results.

Therefore you should learn the basics of fitness and training before you say you won't get stronger because how many weak body builders do you see?

Mat

Reaction score
Cheers for that link and advice Ashley, I think ill give that a go in the mornings instead of my regular press up routine. Im not having a problem with knocking out a decent amount of press ups really but Im always looking for ways to improve.

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just a quick question about that 100 pushups ting.....im gne start doin it from monday..as most are saying it works and is really good etc!

but should i use it ON TOP of doing circuits at the gym (including pressups)?

or should i do the circuit still at the gym, but exclude pressups, so they only get done in accordance with the 100pushups routine?

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's www.100pushups.info Pull ups are good too underarm, overarm, close grip, wide grip, as wide as your arms go grip (This is what gets you a V shaped body, but don't expcet to do more than 2 to start with).

Dont know if I agree with that. It will help a bit I suppose as overall strength is important. But pull ups is back and biceps. Pushups are triceps and upper chest a bit (pectorialis minor) and anterior deltoid.

JasonMc

Reaction score
Aye your right the 'v-shape' comes from lat exercises such as wide-grip chins and lat pull downs whereas press ups over time will develop your chest, triceps and deltoid muscles.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Like you say overall strength is required, it's not good working your tricep without bicep and your neck without back or your abs without obliques, gaining an overall base of strength in your upper body no matter what muscles they are, it will help. Another reason for pull ups is they are great for overcoming the effects of fatigue and numbness, the 2 main reasons people give up.

As for when to do it, they say 100 push ups for breakfast but I do it when I wake up and about an hour before I go to bed. On my circuit days I do the circuit aswell as the morning and evening push ups, it's up to you and what you can handle, if you need to just do it in your current circuit, then at a later date add a morning session and evening session. I followed it strictly but instead of 3 times a week I did it 5 times a week like my normal circuit.

I also do 30 push ups when I boil the kettle and lets just say my dad makes a habbit of getting me to make a cuppa!

foss

Reaction score
i tested myself yestaday and i managed to do 32 press ups in 2 miutes whitch im quite proud of *text deleted* this is a massive improvement when i first started training i could only do 14 so quite proud *text deleted* but before i go to prmc i want to be able to do at least 50