Needing Some Advice....

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
Well as I've already mentioned I've already submitted my Officer Information form and waiting to hear from my ACLO. However i'm in a sticky situation. I've got my GCSE's all of which are A-C and I've got my AS and A-Levels which has given just over 300 UCAS points, which is more than the required 140, and now I'm currently at university, however this is where my problem has arisen.. If i'm hoping to do POC and if I'm successful, AIB. Should I stick with university for the rest of the year or nip it in the bud now, and focus on building more on my strength and fitness and getting on the ball with more current affairs and sharpen up on my knowledge of the Royal Navy/Royal Marines. Right now I feel that i'm on a treadmill running nowhere fast, I'm acedmically capable but if I already have what is required educationally would there be much point carrying on with something that i know I'm just going to put enough effort to get by whilst focussing on chasing my potential career. Also say I am just as successful as the person next to me, but this person has a degree, would I be, not be penalised but not be selected for Young Officer Training, because he has more education than myself.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Whilst you do not need a Degree for entry as an Officer, you gain more “seniority” with higher qualifications which means it will speed your advancement through the ranks, increase your earning potential & is of definite benefit when you leave.

Most people take on more financial commitment as they get older & are therefore unable to afford going back into full time education later in life to gain a degree. Similarly the younger you are, the more likely you are to graduate. Many people pass POC & AIB but do not get selected so it’s a ridiculous gamble to bin you degree before you know whether you will be selected. Both AIB & POC are valid for a year- the obvious solution is to take both within your last year of graduation and see if you get selected and offered a provisional entry date- THEN make a decision. Officer entries are only one per year in September, so to comfortably be selected for entry that year, you need to pass AIB & POC before March of the year you intend joining.

If you bin a degree, it indicates that possibly you may not have the ability to stick at something, whereas if you graduate, it indicates you are a good candidate to invest in.

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Hi Ninja,
You've just said that to join the up coming years intake for officer you have to have passed both POC and AIB before March of that year. I'm hopefully taking my POC in March and they have still said that I have the chance to join this years intake? Is it very unlikely that I will *text deleted* I haven't done both?

SJ55

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you Bart.

I'm a bit confused as to why they would still have POC and AIB dates later than March, if, to be comfortably selected for September intake you should have done them both by March.
If you do your POC and AIB, say April-July 2008 and you do not get into the September 2008 intake, it only lasts a year so you would have to do them again in 2009 to get into September 2009 intake...

Could you clarify anymore Ninja?

Cheers,
Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to cause confusion chaps:

If you want to pass comfortably and graduate comfortably then March is a good time to have passed both POC & AIB. You can of course take them later as long as you're happy trying to graduate simultaneously by submitting your dissertation in between your fitness preps & AIB reseach. If you are not at Uni, then passing POC & AIB as late as June/early July is probably realistic.

You have to remember that an average pass at AIB may mean you are not selected & have to retake both POC & AIB- far better you get a good pass at POC, AIB & Degree without one encroaching on t'other.

It's entirely possible to pass both AIB & POC after March and be selected for entry in September, but my statement was made with the intent of trying to give the maximum time & effort for each element you guys are trying to achieve.

SJ55

Reaction score
Oh right. I'm not at uni, so just out of interest, when is the latest I could possibly do the POC and AIB to still get into the group that could be selected for this Septembers intake? Not that I'm planning on it but could I do my POC and AIB say, in the summer, and still be up for the September intake?

Cheers,
Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'd suggest early July at the very latest Steve, to have completed both POC & AIB for a Sept entry the same year. You would be cutting it fairly fine though.

SJ55

Reaction score
Cheers Ninja,

I am planning to have them done by spring but it's good to know that there is a bit more time available just in case of injury or illness etc.

Many thanks for your advice and quick reply as usual!

Steve

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
I do see where you are coming from ninja, however as to what you said about dropping my degree may give the impression that i cannot stick to something, it certainly isn't the case.

I found the total lack of structure within the university environment alienating and difficult to handle. I know that I'm looking for a more structured approach, and being in the military is exactly that. I've had a slither of what military life is like during work experience with the parachute regiment and spent 3 years in the Air Training Corps (air cadets) where i learnt drill, uniformity etc, and found myself wanting it more.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
NicholasSkamballis said:
I've had a slither of what military life is like during work experience with the parachute regiment and spent 3 years in the Air Training Corps (air cadets) where i learnt drill, uniformity etc, and found myself wanting it more.
That is exactly the sort of evidence of "stickability" that you need to re-affirm your ability to succeed, despite setbacks at Uni.

I'd still strongly suggest you do not quit uni until you have a provisional entry date. If you do not pass selection at your first attempt, you will be able to continue your academic studies.