Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Never Give Up - I was rejected.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by MisterNifty, Nov 14, 2016.

1. MisterNifty

MisterNifty Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This is just a quick morale booster for anyone who's training isn't going well or you have an injury.

I applied for the Royal Marines last year, passed the written tests, the interviews, got to my medical, waited around 3 months because of a condition I was born with they needed to investigate. At this point I was training hard for PJFT cracking under that 10 minute mark only to find out i was medically rejected on medical grounds.

It was gut wrenching because this was all i wanted. So what did i do? I appealed, wrote a detailed letter explaining why i think their decision was inaccurate and went to my doctors the next day to see if my GP would provide medical evidence backing that i was eligible for the marines.

The letter and evidence had been sent off, i waited over 2 months and heard nothing each day was killing me so i slowly gave up hope and was still at my job as a carpenter that i couldn't wait to leave.
    3 months went by and nothing.. but 4 months later i decided to call my AFCO and found that the results happened to be days away on it's way back from Portsmouth.
    I said thank you and put the phone down.. 1 hour later they call me and say guess what just came through the post, i said 'no way the results!?' they said yes i can tell you them now.. After 14 MONTHS of applying i passed my medical, they agreed I was right and was ready to book me in for PJFT.

By now i hadn't done a good running session in over 2 months! I had 3 weeks to get fit enough to run 1.5 mile 12:30, 1 min rest, then run another 1.5 mile under 10 minutes all on a treadmill on a 2% incline.
    Did i do it? yes i did, i trained that hard in 3 weeks i managed to get 12 minutes on my first run and 9 minutes 35 seconds on my best effort.

Here i am now, i'm not someone who has passed RT or even PRMC saying i've been there and done it all, i'm simply someone who has only just passed their PJFT, a position many people are in at the moment and just letting you know if you put your mind to your goal you can achieve anything! I still have PRMC to come and i will give it my all because this is what i want!!

Thanks to all who read the first chapter in my goal ;) still have a long way to go.
    Remember your body gives up WAY before your mind does, fight through the pain and it will become numb, focus on your goal and don't lose sight.
    Keep fighting!

:)

• Like x 30
    • Winner x 4
    • Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin x 2
    • Seen x 1
  2. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Glad to hear it all worked out well for you mate. Good luck with prmc and your green lid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Good effort lad! All the best, keep us updated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers mate, its been a nightmare but all worth it!

5. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No problem will do, soon as i find out PRMC date i'll post it on here. appreciate the support!

6. Ashyy

Ashyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Mate I'm glad you've shared this because I'm in the exact position as you were. Medical on Friday and if passed PJFT within 14 days and like you haven't had a decent running session in ages just started getting back into it, and now I know you've done it there should be no reason I shouldn't.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah mate just remember it's never too late, put your mind to it and give 100% each session till you're dripping sweat and your legs and lungs are burning.
    a really quick tip for helping on pjft is to do Hill sprints, they really helped strengthen my legs so it never burned as much on the test and with recovery time!
    but the best thing you can do for PJFT is literally run on the treadmill because it's very different to running outside trust me, even whack the incline on the treadmill to about 10-14% and go about 10-12kph for about 60-90 seconds no matter how much it burns which it will, just fight through it and you'll feel better for it afterwards :)
    good luck and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
  8. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thank you for this, I haven't been able to run since February and hearing stories like this cheers me up :) Congratulations and good luck with your PRMC :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    thank you I appreciate it :) how come you haven't been able to run since then ?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Unfortunately I have ITBS in both knees and posterior tibialis tendonitis in both ankles :(

11. Ashyy

Ashyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    @MisterNifty Thanks for the advice mate, I'll keep you posted hopefully all goes well. How much running where you doing a week? I'm definitely going to do hill sprints for sure.

12. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Well-Known Member

This is just what I need. I've been waiting on a medical for 4 months because they need more information on a leg operation I had 6 years ago. Sent the information they requested 1 month ago and still waiting. Why can't they hurry up?!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    yeah please do mate! a fair bit, to be honest though because i was only focusing on passing PJFT and only had 3 weeks to do it, all my running was at the gym on a treadmill, it's really built up my legs and CV and even done an hour straight on one session with no breaks!
    so pretty much everyday after work i would go the gym and get on the treadmill,
    now ive passed i go the gym and do upperbody aswell as running too!
    and of course running outside again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Seems to be the longest part of the whole process the medical! in total it took around 7 months from having my medical to passing, that is including being rejected and appealing!
    if i was you take this time now wisely to get under that 10 minute mark for the 1.5 miler, the first 1.5 mile is just the warm up, most people fail around 4-5 minutes in the 2nd run because they literally cannot cope with the legs burning and lungs cant cope either! you have to remember why you want to pass and that if you fail you have to wait another few months to even have another go at it, thats what i did during my 2nd run, it will keep you going, also keep limber and stretch so you dont cramp, tighten up or injure yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ashyy

Ashyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Been made PMU till 2018 12 months too get too peak fitness. Happy with the result seeing it could be much worse.

16. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    so you will be passed, how come its until next year? and 12 months is more than enough to get fit!
    make sure you make a training schedule and stick to it then increase the intensity as you become more confident too.

17. Ashyy

Ashyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    What happened was I had a chest infection so they gave me an inhaler this year and I never used it. However after looking into it they saw that I had been prescribed one in 2014 and you have to be 4 years clear. So if it had gone the other way it could have been 2020.

Bit peeved that I was made to go all the way to Brum so some Doc could tell me I've failed and so he could look at my little toe, but it is what it is. I'm happy that it wasn't worse and now can learn to drive and get a part time job in the meanwhile.

18. MisterNifty

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    ahhh fair enough. I'd take that too if its only a year, its not too much its not too little so good luck and hope it all goes to plan for you!

19. Ashyy

Ashyy Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah thats how I see, thanks bud and you mate

20. rm.ash

rm.ash Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    reading that really actually put a smile on my face, and made me feel a lot better thank you, and I hope you pass the whole way and get your green lid.;)

• Like Like x 1