Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

New Army physical entry standards

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by lanclev, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

At least it's a brew and not a wet. :)
    [politely coughs.]

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Apologies, predictive text! I meant “women in combat roles”.

3. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I had a look at the new soldier standards and they are easier. For the lowest adult soldier entry standard (which I think is RLC), the old standard used to be a 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes. In the new standards it is a 1.2 mile run in 11 minutes 15 seconds. If you work that out in minutes a mile, the old standard was 9 mins 20 seconds per mile and you had to run that speed for 1.5 miles. The new standard is 9 mins 22.5 seconds per mile and you only have to run that speed for 1.2 miles. So soldiers now have to run less distance and they get to run that smaller distance at a slower pace. I call *text deleted* that the standards aren't dropping. In my opinion, every potential soldier should have to run a 1.5 mile in 11 minutes 15 seconds or less (with a little bit of training that is easy).

One thing that I want to know is if the bleep test levels are changing at all for an officer. The army have claimed that the new tests are 'gender neutral' but from what I know, males still have to reach 10.2 and females still have to reach 8.1 and I havn't seen any information to say if these are changing. Honestly, I don't see why females can't reach 10.2 on the bleep test. My mother joined me on a practice bleep test a couple of weeks ago and she managed to get like 10.5 and she is nearly 50 and doesn't even do that much cardio! Someone who wants to be in the military and has been training should be getting well above.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 5
  4. lanclev

lanclev New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    *Side note* I sent you a PM a few days ago mate but don’t think you’ve seen it do you mind taking a look? Cheers.

5. rkec

rkec New Member

Are you sure it was the 20m course? If your mum is doing that on a full size track, fair play to her.

6. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah it was 20m. The gym I go to has a 15m line and a 20m line and we went to the 20 one. She was struggling from around 8 but pushed through it and made it to 10.5.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rover

Rover Moderator

But what about the RAF.........

RAF.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yeeessss we haven’t forgotten the art of the banter! For a minute I thought we were getting a tad sensitive on here!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

Now more importantly how do I earn myself the coveted “ex pongo” tag?

These things matter.

Bet @Rover will square it away for me, I can sense it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Just pongs! I shall now be known as Hercules!!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Ex Pongo Scab Lifter would be nearer the mark! ;)

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  12. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Bootneck groupie surely? :cool:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

Behave. My role here is simple.
    All too often Royal needs a bit of a truth and a reality check. It’s really a public service I perform here. It’s my duty to remind bootnecks that despite imitating the glorious British Army Infantry they remain under the tenuous command of the Royal Navy. Kind of like the rockapes of the sea.

And @Illustrious please stop inviting me to partake in Naked Rollmat Fighting, no means no mate.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  14. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    So the new bleep test standard for all army officers is now 8.7 regardless of gender.

The old standard for females was 8.1 and the old standard for males was 10.2 so while the female standard has got slightly harder, the male standard is easier.

So the entry standards are definitely dropping, how can they even claim they aren't?

• Like Like x 1
  15. lanclev

lanclev New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    That’s slightly disappointing considering i was quite proud that I managed to smash 10.2 a few days ago. Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Even though the standards are now 8.7, I am still aiming for as much above 10.2 as I can. You have got to make an impression on the team assessing you. Even though 8.7 is the new minimum, I am sure the assessing team wouldn't be very impressed if you don't get quite a bit above 10.2 still.

17. lanclev

lanclev New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Don’t quote me on this but I was under the impression the bleep test was the same as the press ups and sit ups when they were still around, once you met the standard eg did 44 press-ups that was it, it wasn’t a best effort it was just to meet the standard. Once you hit 8.7 the test will stop as far as i am aware.

18. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    My recruiter has said that everything is best effort so you keep going for as long as you can.

19. Moonduster

Moonduster Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Are you talking about RM or the army? I don’t suppose you would get far if you turned up at POC or PRMC and stopped at 8.7.

20. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello. We are talking about Army Officer AOSB briefing/main board which has recently changed its bleep test minimum standard to 8.7.