Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. paidtoraid220

paidtoraid220 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey lads, Aussie army amphibious infantryman here looking at going for my second bite of the Lympstone apple once my return of service here expires next year. I’m a glutton for punishment.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

G’Day.

Golden sands to the sodden hills of Dartmoor. Lunatic!

Only messing, welcome along & good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sbradb

sbradb Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Welcome and best of luck on your endeavour!

If you don’t mind me asking though- why try for the RM over the Australian Commandos?

• Like Like x 1
  4. paidtoraid220

paidtoraid220 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    made it to week 26 previously before getting injured and then being tempted by the pay down here whilst in Hunter. Didn’t take long in here to realise that soldiering culture here is absolutely not a patch on the UK. We’re a lot more like Americans here than we think we are, and although the thought of going for 2 Commando has heavily enticed me, I can hand on heart say that being a grav in a Royal fighting unit would to me be a bigger personal accomplishment than being a 2 Cdo operator.

A Coy 40 Cdo were out here last year working with us, a lot of my mates from training which was awesome, and made my mind up to sack this off when my time’s up next year and come back to where I want to be.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

How inspirational.

You’ve clearly unlocked some fantastic inner strength and added some mental tools to your arsenal. Sounds cliche but life isn’t supposed to be easy & comfortable if you want real growth. Commandos don’t take the path of least resistance, if they did- everyone would have a green lid.

Keep this focus and drive going.

Keep an eye on the age limit

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rover

Rover Moderator

CartoonRecruiting_zps53ccd34a.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. paidtoraid220

paidtoraid220 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Very valid point and one that’s caused me a lot of stress, however I was given a specific person to talk to in recruiting in regard to getting me an waiver if need be. Hopefully that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

In the time I’ve been in the Aussie army I’ve picked up heavy weapons, sigs, the equivalent of LCs and pioneers (AEs) plus most likely doing my recce course towards years end, Corona permitting. So I think I’m quite a good candidate for a waiver

• Like Like x 2
  8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

At least with him being on an Aussie time zone he’ll have someone to talk to on here in the wee small hours. It’ll coincide nicely with some of our more mature user’s 0300 toilet dash.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Yeah but what’s your BBQ skills like?!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    with all that I don't understand how you couldn't be waivered, they're getting an older marine straight outta basic but with the skills of an older marine anyway. do you think you'd get bumped up to Lcpl or maybe even Cpl quite quick?

11. Rover

Rover Moderator

Will need a JCC for promotion to Cpl.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  12. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am aware but I am saying do you think he would spend usual time Marine, Lcpl then Cpl or will they put him to Lcpl quickly or maybe quickly onto JCC after RT?

• Seen Seen x 1
  13. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

It doesn't really work like that mate. All based on reports and time served in branch etc

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  14. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

It doesn’t work like that lad. But I can see your thinking. He will need a few years in the Corps, decent annual reports and Branch/SQs play a part.

15. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Rob beat me to it.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Rob & Apex. Can you account for Rob’s mother’s whereabouts 20 odd years ago.

#TwoPeas

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

How dare you!

Im sure Dad will be along soon to back me up!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  18. Blackers

Blackers Member

It took me four years to pick up my first tape in the mob. I was a unit level sniper and completed our SOC, Sniper cadre 10 wks, and sat within our sniper platoon on Herrick 10 and then deployed a second time on Herrick 14 with the BRF. I came of the board for Cpl but didn’t attend Brecon for the cadre as I signed off. Anyway point is I’m coming into RMR as a Mne and rightfully so! I’ll happily wait my turn to come of the boards again.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Blackers

Blackers Member

What I can carry over will be discussed at det level but rank ain’t one.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I recall we had a rejoiner during my basic. He barely mentioned his experience. It wasn’t until a few years later I discovered he served in the infantry and deployed to Iraq back when it was a real rats nest.

During basic this guy was an absolute god send. He never bragged or boasted, never belittled or mocked and was the first to help any lad who was struggling. He just quietly got on with it and kept everything in perspective. The TT clocked this and unsurprisingly he passed out with a best recruit award.

Oh and he made enough money to buy a second house by bulling all our boots!!

Joking aside- rejoiners have the potential to add real value to a troop in RT.

• Like Like x 4