Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

New guy (m2011 on old)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by m2013, Aug 27, 2013.

1. m2013

m2013 Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    hey guys, I was on the old prmc forum as m2011 and ive come back onto this now.

basically august 2011 I was turned down in the Royal Marines medical due to a squint so I switched and applied for the Army Parachute regiment.
    I got through the process and started training 3/3/13.
    Now 6 weeks into this I made the biggest mistake of my life. I didn't the para's were right for me, and this is a decision that has eaten me alive inside ever since. I struggle to get to sleep most nights regretting what I've done

I did re-apply for the army within a week of leaving but had to withdraw my application due to me dislocating my shoulder.
    now since then I've been rehabbing it myself (didn't see a physio) and im stronger than ever, since it happened I've been bulking up and continuing a bodybuilding training style and diet until a few weeks back when I think now im ready.
    my shoulder has definitely healed, and I managed to hit a 135kg bench press, 235kg deadlift and 180kg squat which all require a good strong shoulder with mobility.

Now im going to apply for the army again, but this time the Royal Engineers, im hoping to follow in my fathers footsteps and undertake the AACC eventually and join 24 Commando which is the ultimate goal.

anyways guys im currently doing 1 hour of interval hill sprints on the exercise bike (1 min sprint, 1 min recover) 3 times a week to build a base fitness level.
    then In a few weeks ill start running using the same programme that got me fit enough for the Para's.

Im currently 15 stone 5, and im cutting down to 13 stone as I don't really want to be carrying any excess weight which will make running harder.

that's basically it, im here now to rectify my mistake, thanks to anyone who read this and im sure ill be posting quite often from now :)
    if anyone has any q's please fire away

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome back to the forum.

Best of luck with your Army application, many leave regret and re-apply as I'm sure you're aware (not that it makes it feel any easier).

Have you considered re-applying for the Royal Marines or have they said the squint is a permanent bar?

3. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    the squint is perm bar, I tried appealing but it was rejected, however I am curious as to the fact that I've passed an army medical previously would be useful for a re-appeal? hopefully ninja stoker will see this

4. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

You can use your old account if you want.

5. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    thanks for that, but I feel that part of me is gone now I disgraced myself when I left the army, I want this to be my new start :)

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself. We all make mistakes, but as we get get older wiser and uglier (or better looking in my case), we can look back and just put it down to experience.

With regards the squint, hopefully NS may have some input, but it does seem odd the Army have said yes whilst the RN have said no. The RN instigated a new medical contract with a civilian company which started 11th October 2010 - in many (but not all cases) the doctors employed on the new contract (Capita) are different people to the original doctors.

If you have former military service, the AFCO will obtain your former medical records from the Army - which will indicate you were fit to serve in the Army. The original RN/RM medical docs will only be retained 12 months, then they're destroyed if you don't join. If your original RN medical was before 11.10.2010 then quite possibly it's worth another shot - if only to ask, if knocked-back again: "If I was passed fit for the Paras, how come the tri-service medical standards conducted by the same company as the Army (Capita) find me fit for one, but not the other?"

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

7. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    my medical was around may 2011 iirc, so I think ill just stick with engineers ill still get my chance to earn the green lid :)

8. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Venerated Contributor

Welcome back. What platoon were you in?

9. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    thanks, 759 oudna

10. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Venerated Contributor

I was in Arnheim dude. (sorry if it spelt that wrong) aha

11. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    did u complete basic?

enjoy plenty of lickouts at nod *text deleted*?

12. rwatkins123

rwatkins123 Valuable Contributor

what did you find hardest about the training mate?

13. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Phys was solid especially hill beastings
    loads of corridor beastings and show parade at night was hard too
    and just generally feeling under a lot of pressure

as I've said though leaving was a mistake I wish I hung in there

14. rwatkins123

i have heard about the hill beastings, sounds horrible *text deleted*. was there any part that you really enjoyed?

15. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I loved circuit training phys, surprisingly enjoyed weapon cleaning and handling.
    best bit was when u rarely got to bed before midnight *text deleted*

16. rwatkins123

sounds fun *text deleted*. the lack of sleep is what i am most worried about. i cant concentrate too well when i am tired *text deleted*, i guess i will have to work on it.

17. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    yeah you start nodding off in the middle of lessons and get thrashed if you're caught *text deleted* not good!

hopefully down the engineer route ill be ok, not going to jack in this time :) and then ill have 24 Commando in my sights after basic :)

18. rwatkins123

sounds good mate, good luck

19. m2013

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    cheers pal :) its a big mistake leaving every day I regret it, constantly on my mind.

good luck with the laser eye surgery, I failed the marines medical for a squint so its similar(ish)

20. spc_449

spc_449 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed AIB