New here ✌

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by forrest, Jan 10, 2019.

1. tripp

tripp New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I think the point is, RT isn’t going to be a little gym sesh here and there. You’re mind and muscles are constantly fatigued and dangling beyond belief. If you’re not used to pushing yourself, when the going gets tough you’ll find it a shock to the system on the second day of RT.
    You may prove me wrong in which case I’ll certainly change my training regime to your style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. forrest

forrest New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I do push myself dude.. I’ve ran marathons, rowed 10,000m on the machine without stopping, swam a mile at the pool, boxed 10 rounds in a row, I used to compete in kettlebell endurance.. (the list goes on)

My point is I don’t see the point in doing ‘as many reps till failure’ whilst training for my gym tests ...
    you guys have blown this out of proportion a bit.

There’s a difference between RT and doing 1 set of push ups.

But yeah - let me get back to you with my PRMC scores (pass or fail.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Fair enough, but all those achievements can be done with months upon months of prior preparation. RT cannot be prepared for, due to the nature of it. The better you are physically does increase your chances but its a mentally taxing 8 months rather than a day of hard work and time to rest which you get in a marathon haha

Good luck with your PRMC though, hope you prove us all wrong!

4. Something Original

Something Original New Member

Best of luck, proof will be when you get your green beret mate.

5. forrest

forrest New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Exactly bro! I’m thinking of the bigger picture :)

6. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Are you one of those people that has ‘PT’ after their name on social media by any chance?:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. forrest

forrest New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Quite the opposite...

8. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It’s the best way. You have to find the balance by stimulating he muscles but not exhausting them. Ross edgley preaches this and that mans another breed. You just have to look at him and see what he’s done to know that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    IMG_2173.JPG

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  10. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    In all seriousness best of luck of luck with your up and coming PRMC

• Like Like x 2
  11. forrest

forrest New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks. Finally someone talking sense. It’s also trying to get the balance between having both strength and endurance. I don’t want to be strong as an ox and good at push ups but suck at running. Or be the fastest guy out there but struggle to lift my own body weight. I want to be an all rounder.
    I like to train equally and often, working as many muscles as possible! If i obliterate myself in a strength workout then go for a run then next day I’m a hell of a lot slower!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thats what its about pal, running when youve got nothing left in the tank and your muscles are screaming - that's what rt is *text deleted* be like so its better to start training like that now

• Like Like x 1
  13. Something Original

Something Original New Member

There is no denying his achievements, steroided or otherwise, but the average person/marine applicant who has not been driven from a young age to be an Olympic athlete to follow in their families footsteps, while on a diet that is supported with a substance that someone going for marine training cannot take (there is no way he is natty - the vascular structure etc, the fact he wanted to get big after being nearly drowned in training etc) is hardly good advice or advice that should be taken as standard.

That he has a career supplementing his achievements by being an instagram model recommending sponsored supplements, and now being driven to achieve ever bigger goals, with no requirement to make those goals achievable within an ostensibly 'clean' environment (such as Olympic teams, or within British Armed Service), he is under no obligation to be clean while being rewarded for taking those substances.

I have nothing but respect for the guy as an individual and his achievements, and care little about whether he uses steroids, but using, in your words, a freak of nature, who the stars have aligned for as the justification for not following a tried and tested suggestion for achieving the best out of yourself in such a significant make or break place as Recruit Training isn't the best bit of advice I can think to give.

MORP said it right: if you're going in a situation where you've never experienced, surely it's better to be somewhat acquainted with it? If you can do 30/30/30 gainers, then supposedly that means you can do 60 straight out. But can you do it after 2 hours of beastings? Can you do it after 2 months of hell before gym pass out?

Ross Edgley never swam round the UK having only ever done a mile in the pool maximum, either, regardless of whether he could do it in 20 minutes or quicker. And you've got to remember Ross Edgley failing to achieve his monumentally difficult task comes with less of the pressures of failing that affect the average Nod: and if anything, might enhance it through the filter of social media, and it wouldn't surprise me in a few years to see a very well publicised event which Ross fails at, only to 'try again' the next year (which he can contribute to a conveniently newly developed supplement/workout plan).

Specific training for a specific cause. And if you don't know what your balls out maximum is, how do you know that the time when you come to use your balls out max, you will be good enough?

Either way, skepticism over @forrest 's training plan aside, I wish nothing but the best for him and other nods going through their PRMC and RT.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    All I said was that you have to find the balance between stimuli and exhaustion. There’s no point redlining your body every single day when trying to get up to the required standards for PRMC you won’t progress that much. Like many Ex Royals have said on here, you don’t need to be an Olympic athlete to pass selection, just be fit, all rounded and have a strong mindset. There’s a reason it can be done in RT and that’s because of the structure of it as an entirety, it’s progressive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Just passed through PRMC and there were two different sets of advice given by the Corporal PTI's. The context and situation is important for this so ill state the times that they were stated. These are slightly paraphrased but remembered as best I could.

P.T.I. ONE - During Gym Tests

"You should be maxing out your scores, every single one of you. All you have to do is Max press-ups, Sit-ups and Pull-Ups, everyday. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, that's all it takes."

P.T.I. Two - During Post PRMC Phys Brief

"Do your exercises but maybe two or three off max rep. Your body will not have to recover as much and you can have more consistent training. If you max rep and overwork you will only require longer periods of rest before you can exercise again to the same level."

There are clearly more than one, two or three ways to train, dependent on what you are training for. Now I am no PT but the way I interpreted this is that P.T.I. One expected 100% effort all the time as that is what is expected of potential Royal Marines. A "never maxing out" way of training may be ideal for long fitness plans but at some point you are going to have to condition yourself for the hell that is the day 2 assessment. There is no real way to train for that except to condition yourself to push yourself to the limit in all exercises, not just press-ups, sit-ups and pull ups but every godforsaken movement taken from the underworld of kinesiology. It's mental conditioning as much as physical. There were fitter guys on the course than me, with better scores that failed.

Now P.T.I. Two brief came once the physical aspect of the PRMC was done. We now had to maintain, gain but refrain from injuring ourselves before RT. Me met the physical and mental requirements of PRMC and entry into RT now we had to be progressive and sensible with our training.

I think you are resisting what MORP is trying to say. I'm not saying either is right or wrong but at some point 'extra phys' yourself maybe beneficial.

I carried an 80kg sandbag 100m as part of a 5 set circuit. at times the day after my back just ached and the last thing I wanted to do was the ski erg. Did that help me with the Fireman's carries, baby carries and drags.....Most certainly. It was there I excelled.

16. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    p.s I love the way this forum auto corrects thr@sh1ng to "extra phys"