Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

New here, trained rank.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Jack of no trades, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add, the 'official unofficial' status of this forum is endorsed by some rather senior people within Her Majesty's Corps of Royal Marines. The former Captain General even intervened in a subtle but effective manner on a previous occasion when the forum's future was in doubt. Rather decent of the old boy to dictate his reply while driving; hope that he wasn't too distracted.

The forum has a good working relationship with the Corps and is identified to Recruits as a source of reliable information by CTCRM. Who'd have thought it, eh? I only discovered this a few months back.
    So the head-shed is very much aware of the forum and its content and recognises that making it 'official' would place constraints on its content which suggests that sometimes at least the chain of command does actually know what it's doing. :)

As an ex-Percy who is politely tolerated here I've been mightily impressed over the past years by the overall balance of content. The Trained Ranks who patiently contribute do so in a manner that exemplifies the notion that a Royal Marine is indeed the 'thinking man's soldier'.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Jack of no trades

Jack of no trades Royal Marines Commando

Jesus christ...wait one...

If the all lads who have done well say that being proactive was the key...then....well....maybe it is?!

There isn't an organisation on earth where (that wants to survive), if the needs of the individual and the needs of the organisation clash in some way, the organisation wins.

However, you can set the best conditions for promotion/SQ entry being being good and proactive.

Did I disregard the younger lads?! nope, merely a statement of fact that it is often younger lads with these drips.
    All the information about why they may have been seen off is available, just a case of digging a bit...or thinking about it a bit. That's not me saying lads don't get seen off, they will, always have and always will, but this is rarely in the absence of a decent reason.

P.s. hardly old and not very bold.

Not sure who wrote what but if the boot fits....

You need to again, think of the Corps' needs as well as your own, I know many guys who have got language courses, I know many lads who haven't. Defence as a whole is lacking in certain languages, and not others. there is an epic duration for training and consolidation within a language, etc, etc, many factors other than "yeah well I like this language and am good at it so send me on a course so I can be away from my unit and their commitments for a billion years"

P.s. if you're still in the branch I think you are, then you don't work in the language side of the Corps as they don't routinely have linguists trained from within the branch (with a couple of exceptions I'll admit). (working near a linguist doesn't make you an SME in language training).

Education within the Corps is what you make of it. there are tons of options, and to say the CoC make it difficult is gen bollocks. Not giving you time off to do courses is not making it difficult, you *text deleted* do a Degree, dig out, but YOU want to do a degree. many lads manage it and get excellent results. The CoC regularly give them chuck-ups for doing well and it almost always gets into their SJAR.

Completely agree with you on all of this, my point was merely that the reason the DSS system is needed is because of the current Corps structure. With the Corps re-structuring this will undoubtedly change in coming years.

Didn't say we are better or they are worse, you can be a different kind of person and not bring who's better into it!

I merely mean you can't always apply one concept to another group of people.

So the quote doesn't apply to you...well done. It still applies to all the lads I'm talking about though.
    (see bold for actual reason you got kicked out)

My point still stands, the way some people have put drips onto this forum is unprofessional.

3. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

Then take away the culture of cronyism and get lads to join up and pick a spec at the careers office. There would still be massive waits for certain roles but lads tend to not be as threaders with a *text deleted* job if they choose it for themselves rather than being told. Yes I am aware that happens in the military but thinking from a retention viewpoint that would be a quick and dirty win.

The way you come across about younger lads is scornful. I'm not 12 , I can tell when someone writes with low regard. You have a massive issue with younger lads being seen off - help them don't mock them for not being aware. Younger lads will drip because they are not heavily invested in the corps ( promotion etc ) and know they have options. If they feel they are being treated like turd they will go. So rather than drip about their drips being born from ignorance ; you could try solve the issues around them for the next generation - The DSS system and passage of information.

Otty the Opsec otter would slap me if I delved into the spec and language side so I will sit here and smile inwardly to myself. I mustn't know a thing about the 18 month language courses offered at chick sands and Shrivenham..

The boozy bit was a joke but clearly the rod up your backside pushed commando sense of humour out.

Who are these 'some' people by the way? Shall we hunt them together? We could become pussers crockett and tubbs (I'm crockett) hunting drippers

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    From the perspective of a hopeful recruit, the drips posted on here whether professional or not offer a valuable insight into a possibility that many potential recruits will not be aware of.

And should the dripping of serving royals on here put any potential lads off, does that not call into question their determination in the first place?

Thanks to the threads on DSS etc posted on here, should i get into and through RT I will be going in with my eyes open to the possibility of being pinged.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So would you say you feel more/less aware of the process after passing out and life in the corps?

Do you appreciate lads being honest and giving a full and open picture about life in the Corps?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah totally appreciate it, it allows me to make a more informed decision and should I get pinged I can't say I wasn't aware it was a possibility.

Everyone knows, or should know, the gucci stuff from the adverts is not the day to day experience of many in the corps. Its an invaluable contribution for all the recruiting spiel to be balanced out with the gen from serving lads.

• Like Like x 3
  7. 06061944

06061944 Royal Marines Commando

Beat me to it

When you are in a place, where at times the glass can be pretty half empty...... trés bleak. They'll know it's the right decision for them taking all this into account.

Restraint is more appropiately observed when dealing with current recruits. ( Thankfully they should be too busy to be on this forum for any prolonged length of time during RT for it to adversely affect them)

They don't need us dimming the light at the end of the tunnel for them. In CTC perception versus reality is a significant factor

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jack of no trades

Jack of no trades Royal Marines Commando

I'm wrapping on this thread, it's growing more arms and legs than planned, and dripping about dripping about dripping about dripping it making my head hurt and is getting annoying.

More than willing to continue this one in PMs but that's about it for the drips.

9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Do I understand that you are now 'dripping' about this thread!!:confused:o_O

:):)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It was one of those threads that was waiting to happen, I s'pose.

Either way it's really beneficial for those hoping to join to hear different perspectives of the reality of life as a Royal Marine, warts & all, rather than simply viewing the glossy veneer of a careers publication.

One thing that strikes me from the parent & partner subforum is the unexpected surprise at how much life changes after the rigours of training. Once the tempo of daily life as a recruit relents upon joining a unit, the newly-hatched Royal Marine doesn't take long to find fault with his lot, particularly as he integrates with the more experienced trained personnel. Most common complaints? Draft, courses and promotion prospects...usually in that order.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

A big sigh of relief all round! -yawn--yawn--yawn-

What would be good is for you to contribute to those who aspire to join. We have a small number of trained guys of all ranks from Marine to WO who contribute and a few times a Lt Colonel has posted. We even have some from the Paras who used this forum when they joined the Army. Added to this we have former Royals, such as myself and a smattering of Pongos, all of who make this a very successful platform. We even have our very own gobshite who will take apart in a polite and constructive manner anyone who thinks that they are bigger than the forum.

Maybe you could introduce yourself to the hopefuls, outlining your service, rank and maybe SQ. Rest assured you will be snowed under with questions, but your input will be invaluable.

Please think seriously about this!

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  12. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Dripping isn’t all bad. If things need changed, then the old military attitude of kept in the dark, doesn’t wash these days. And lads should have a bit more input and the chain of command more receptive of ideas and suggestions (sensible ones).

It wouldn’t be a problem if the corps was toppers.... but they are facing a retention and recruitment problem. Thus incentives must be found.

Oh and not turning their back on lads that end up homeless, and want back in the corps... only to come crawling back asking for rejoins when they realise they are losing blokes left, right and Chelsea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

As a counter argument and purely anecdotal, my job role sees overall C&C being at Captain level but a huge amount of input is delivered from the bottom and implemented by the chain of command as we are best placed to know what we need. I couldn't say if it was a rarity or not, mind.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

What do you think about the implementation of females in the corps?

Just a add on to a lively debate.

15. ave!

i have recently been D and I’ed so I believe it is important for all the genders to have equal opportunities. I can’t wait to be the first human male to grow a baby inside me

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I like!
    !

17. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Joking aside, I always thought dripping was a way of military life? Was when I served anyway.
    It was usually the oggies haven’t turned up at stand easy!!

18. ave!

I love a constructive drip personally

But I worry that females wouldn’t “get” the culture

• Like Like x 1