New member, 33 years old.

Jbrennan

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

New member here, and keen to be a part of it.

I appreciate this topic has been thrashed, but any help as always...

I was 33 in January so I know by the letter of the law I’m too old for the RMR, in my head my life line is I served for 7 years in the RAF Regiment and have been out for less than 2 years. Could I have a case for applying?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I was 33 in January so I know by the letter of the law I’m too old for the RMR, in my head my life line is I served for 7 years in the RAF Regiment and have been out for less than 2 years. Could I have a case for applying?
Welcome to the site.

I'll make enquiries via the Re-entry Cell on your behalf. Gut feeling, unless already Commando trained, the answer is unfortunately likely to be a 'no' under normal circumstances, but it's certainly worth an ask as the rules and regulations, particularly at this time are in a state of flux.

The thing to bear in mind, is after 7 years service is whether you would be happy to accept joining as a recruit, day one week one.

Couple of queries before going into bat on your behalf:

What rank did you leave at?
Were you discharged fully medically fit or were there any medical issues on your discharge medical?
What was your discharge category? (ie: Discharge as of right, Med Discharge, SNLR, Redundancy, Disciplinary, etc) ?

Jbrennan

Reaction score
Hi @Ninja_Stoker,

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I understand that I would be day 1, week 1 again and would relish the challenge.

I left the RAF as acting L/CPL, I left as non deployable as I had shoulder surgery. I am now 100% fighting fit, I was told I would have to sign a self declaration and my GP could sign me off.

I appreciate the age requirements are there due to the evidence of pass rates above a certain threshold, but given the opportunity I would throw myself into it.

Thanks.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Jbrennan @Ninja_Stoker , I have looked at this issue very recently and confirmed via RM allocations team that the age lift from 32 (must start training by 33rd birthday) only applies to those that are Ex RM & not ex-service, which most media information does not clarify, so, unfortunately, you are over age.

Sorry to bear bad news.! , but you never know Ninja could work some magic.!!

Last edited:

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Yes , even if Ex - anything - apart from Ex RM. It was a Ex RAF Reg i was asking for.! but as above ,you never know with the military.changes happen.!

B

Blackers

Damn, sorry to hear that @Jbrennan

Maybe try the Army reserve mate, they have much higher age limits. SF (R) is up to 50 now for ex regs, unsure about 4 PARA.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear that @Jbrennan

Maybe try the Army reserve mate, they have much higher age limits. SF (R) is up to 50 now for ex regs, unsure about 4 PARA.

4 PARA applicants must be aged between 17 years 9 months and 42 years 6 months.

4 PARA recruits nationwide with locations in Glasgow & Edinburgh (A Company), White City London, Croydon & Romford (B Company), Altcar, Pudsey & Hebburn (C Company) and Nottingham, Rugby & Newport (D Company).

For more see here

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind the lower age limits for all Corps entry levels in comparison to the other services? Is it purely a numbers game? With longer training requiring a greater chance of success for cost reasons?

As I understand it, the average length of service is around six years, which would render the older concerns for promotion being linked to age over the course of a full career less important. I believe this tendency towards a more patchwork career is partly why the other services have upped the age limits -- I think it's possible to being officer training in the Navy until mid 30s now. I know Sandhurst also recently upped the age of entry to 29 also.

Reaction score
There is no evidence of a clear tri-service policy on age.
As an aside, and probably of little interest to the OP, the RAF Reserve age range is:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 10.54.31.png

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/...MI8sC0kMvd6AIVR7DtCh3GIgISEAAYASABEgJVdfD_BwE

As another aside, the RAF reg have an ex Man City footballer that joined their regs in his mid 30s after retiring from football. Quite a dramatic example of career change/joining the military late-on for those thinking about it.

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-n...019-lee-crooks-man-city-player-to-raf-soldier

Pegasus9

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

Hi mate, although by the letter of the law you are too old I’d get an application in and chance your hand.

I’m in a pretty similar boat, served for 7 years and after 6 years out I started to get that itch again and subsequently applied to the RMR at 32.

The careers office progressed my application and prior to lockdown I had been attending Holding Troop for a couple of months and had a regular PRMC lined up for end of April. That has now been *text deleted* canned and I’ll (hopefully) be attending a reserves PRMC later in the year, which will be post my 33rd birthday.

I had been concerned about this which is why I had opted for a regular PRMC earlier in the year... Having voiced these concerns I have been assured I will be granted a age waiver based on my previous service, which is much less current than yourself.

So while not yet out the woods as things stand I’ll be starting training at 33. One thing I will highlight is it took a full year from application to commencing Holding Troop, there’s a lot of hoops to jump through and things don’t always go smoothly. Anyway, try applying and see how the dice fall, best of luck.

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
With the constant strain on resources, I don't think the Armed Forces can afford to be quite so dogmatic about age limits. They are denying themselves too many potentially very good Marines. Some middle aged guys are in exceptional condition. My neighbour is mid 40s who would make the average PTI look like a fat bag of sh1te tied in the middle. Why loose all that experience/knowledge for the sake of someone being 12 months older than they were last year when they were able to do the job - nothing changes except the age and surely as long as they can meet all requirements, not just fitness and can hold their own on deployment they should be allowed to join.
I think the age limit isn't that people become less fit as they get older, it's that recovery from injury takes longer.Also, the older the recruit, the shorter their potential time in. Recruit training is expensive, the forces need a return on their investment, a recruit that is only capable of serving for 3 years or so isn't that appealing.

Anyway, Nice to see you have left the darkness and coming over to the light. Just be careful you don’t get a nose bleed if you stray too far from the wire! Only joking lad. The RAF tends to treat its personnel better in terms of accommodation, food and conditions, plus the career structure within the Regt offers a bit more variety than the Army might have to offer, so be aware that life with perc won’t be as comfortable as your rockape days. This is not 'willy waving' propaganda, the RAF Regt just has a different mission to other combat infantry units. Try not to get too distracted by all the 'doubters' out there and good luck to you. Such a shame you can’t have a crack at RMR but I’m sure you’ll enjoy the challenge of 4 PARA. Like RMR, 4 PARA expect the same standards as their regs in training. Are you ex II Sqn by any chance? Once upon a time rockapes on the TACP/Fwd Air Control Parties would be allocated places on an AACC. I recall meeting one impressive bloke. He was RAF REG Officer, passed all arms, got his dagger and trotted of to be a FAC Officer. Few years later met him again and he had re roled as a Harrier pilot! Rover may recall him. Top top bloke!

On the other side of the coin, I remember we hosted a range package once and a hash of RAF REGT and some Crab officers attended. On the short range a real hooray Flying Officer calls back towards some rocks " Excuse me I can't seem to fire my gun"

I remember a rockape saying "No sir, that's because your pistol is blocked sir" putting heavy emphasis on the word PISTOL.He cleared it, handed it back to him and I swear to God, no word of a lie , just like from an episode of Jeeves & Wooster he says "Oh thanks awfully" . The Rockape was so bloody embarrassed! So I feel your pain for wanting to avoid the RAF!!

The scarey thing about that though was that here was a pilot who couldn't even clear a stoppage on his own sidearm on a firing range.

Last edited:

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate, although by the letter of the law you are too old I’d get an application in and chance your hand.

I’m in a pretty similar boat, served for 7 years and after 6 years out I started to get that itch again and subsequently applied to the RMR at 32.

The careers office progressed my application and prior to lockdown I had been attending Holding Troop for a couple of months and had a regular PRMC lined up for end of April. That has now been *text deleted* canned and I’ll (hopefully) be attending a reserves PRMC later in the year, which will be post my 33rd birthday.

I had been concerned about this which is why I had opted for a regular PRMC earlier in the year... Having voiced these concerns I have been assured I will be granted a age waiver based on my previous service, which is much less current than yourself.

So while not yet out the woods as things stand I’ll be starting training at 33. One thing I will highlight is it took a full year from application to commencing Holding Troop, there’s a lot of hoops to jump through and things don’t always go smoothly. Anyway, try applying and see how the dice fall, best of luck.

The guide is clearly a recruiter and he says no. He knows better than you. Changing ones arm will be a waste of time. He should go get the next best think, a maroon lid. Shame as the Corps is cutting its nose of to spite its face. Well done in getting into a troop in RMR, best of luck with it. Work hard and give it your best shot.

Pegasus9

Reaction score
The guide is clearly a recruiter and he says no. He knows better than you. Changing ones arm will be a waste of time. He should go get the next best think, a maroon lid. Shame as the Corps is cutting its nose of to spite its face. Well done in getting into a troop in RMR, best of luck with it. Work hard and give it your best shot.

Thanks Apex. You might be right but if the OP is set on the RMR it might be worth getting an application in and see what unfolds, quite possibly concurrently with an application to 4 Para, or for that matter 21.

And as a proud wearer of the Maroon machine I can vouch for the challenge it provides... not to mention the feeling of hitting slip stream for the first time!

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
I agree with you lad, it seems such a shame that he can’t pursue the RMR. Bloody hell lad, so are you ex airborne?

Where you PARA REG or attached? Either way good effort. Going from Maroon to Green takes balls of Steel.