New member, 33 years old.

Pegasus9

Reaction score
Attached, 9 Para Sqn Royal Engineers predominantly, and a bit of time in Recce Troop working alongside other Brigade ISTAR capabilities.

Worst bit is I’ve got wings inked onto my arm, can’t wait for the DS to spot that one when down Lympstone.

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
Oh dear indeed! Normally the Wings tattoo was reserved for PARA REG. I’m sure if any PARAs spotted it & realised you were a hat they either laughed or became seething. P-coy doesn’t make you a para. Depot does!

Still funny though

Pegasus9

Reaction score
Nah the Reg tend to stick their cap badge for tattoos. But yea they do love hatting blokes off that haven’t been through depot, which I always found amusing as it implies all their Officers are in fact hats as well

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
How did you find working with PF? With them being tri service are they still predominantly para reg? Were you not tempting to have a crack mate?

Pegasus9

Reaction score
It was great, RE was very well represented at the time- believe they still are in fact- including Sgt Mj PF, so Recce Tp had pretty close ties and we found ourselves invited along to some decent training evolutions.

I think at the time it may have been as much as a 50/50 split of Para Reg and other cap badges, Engineers took the next big slice, predominantly 9 Sqn with a couple 59 blokes, with a reasonably mixed bag after that, including one RAF Reg and I think there was even one bloke from the Navy.

Pegasus9

Reaction score
And yes I had planned to have a crack at either PF or SRR, but got distracted by my now ex Mrs and took a different path, ending up outside the forces.

It is a regret of mine not trying for that next step.

Djcuk

Reaction score
Oh dear indeed! Normally the Wings tattoo was reserved for PARA REG. I’m sure if any PARAs spotted it & realised you were a hat they either laughed or became seething. P-coy doesn’t make you a para. Depot does!

Still funny though
Do the guards not do the same infantrymen's course as paras though? The only thing separating them being p coy?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Do the guards not do the same infantrymen's course as paras though? The only thing separating them being p coy?

I might be able to shed some light on this. ITC Catterick runs four versions of the Combat Infantryman's Course: Line Infantry, Foot Guards, PARAs and Gurkha.

CIC is the standard framework course on which all infantry training in the British Army is based. The standard course (Line Infantry) lasts 26 weeks. No matter your cap badge the core content is the same as this combines Phase 1 and Phase 2 infantry training.

How CIC (PARA) and CIC (Foot Guards) differ from the standard CIC is they both have an additional two weeks included in their course. PARA recruits have P Company beat up & P Company test week. Guards recruits have two weeks of enhanced drill training due to the stringent ceremonial duties they can undertake.

Another important difference is PARA recruits will only be trained by Paratroopers within the PARA Training Company. Guards recruits will be trained by instructors from one of the Guards/household div regiments. Whereas line infantry recruits can be trained by any line infantry cap badge. @Hyperhippo can offer some insight into the Guards PARA Platoon. Essentially it is open to those serving within the Household Division. Those successful from the pre-para course at Household Division and Parachute Regiment Centralised Courses (HDPRCC) go on to attend P Company. Pass that and they can join the platoon.

If you are interested in the Parachute Regiment recruitment process you may find
www.Paras.uk a useful resource.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Everything @Johnny_Anonie said is pretty much bang on!

The Guards tend to work with the Paras a lot, with HDPRCC containing the JNCO cadre (to pick up LCpl) and their Sniper Operators course. Both renowned to be the hardest courses of their type in the Army.