Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

New member/Application Q's

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Geordieboy7, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Geordieboy7

Geordieboy7 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place! First time posting on here :)

I applied for RM commando the other day and i'm just waiting to here from the AFCO (I've received the initial eligibility confirmation)

I just have a few concerns which I think will probably affect my application. Firstly I've been on anti-depressants in the past and only been off them now for a few months, though not officially discharged by my GP yet, I just stopped taking them and I've never felt better. I've had eczema before as well and my last bout of it was about 5 years ago and I've not had any issues since. I'm also taking anti-acne tablets. I don't have it bad but I had a bit of problem with it on my back. I realise that i'm probably getting well ahead of myself because I've only just applied but I prefer to be like that then i'm more prepared haha

I know that no one can give me a an absolute answer but just wanted to get a heads up before I hear anything else. I'll be gutted if this sets me back but it is what it is.

Anyway thanks to anyone who takes their time to reply I appreciate it :)

2. Bellionaire679

Bellionaire679 Valuable Contributor

Welcome mate, get stuck on with the craic here don't be afraid to ask questions

@Ninja_Stoker is your man for those questions

Best of luck!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site. The immediate news is not good but in the long run it's not insurmountable. You generally need to be two or three years clear of treatment for depression I'm afraid. There is no way the service can employ a person still under review for mental health issues because even recruit training is sufficiently stressful to make the situation worse, let alone conducting the job in a critical life-threatening operational environment.

You need to be three years clear of prescribed medicaton for eczema, free from acne on your back and shoulders (due to load carrying/risk of infection) and generally free from prescribed acne treatment for over 3 months.

4. Geordieboy7

Geordieboy7 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Ah that's a gutter, but I do understand why. I'ts a triple whammy for me :( I'm assuming that would be the same for the army as well?

Thanks for the replies :)

5. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

How old are you?

6. Geordieboy7

Geordieboy7 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I'm 25 mate!

7. Jaykay2343

I'm from Newcastle too mate, late 20's, by the sounds of it, as ninja has alluded, give it a few years to be all clear. Plenty of time on your side.

8. Geordieboy7

Geordieboy7 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Nice one :)

yeah man I just need to work on my patience haha I had the email from the AFCO today and tried to get in touch numerous time but to no avail -_-

Thanks mate

9. Jaykay2343

I get spots on my back aswell when working out, getting a sweat on. Wasn't an issue at medical but being using cocoa oil to help with scarring mate

10. Bellionaire679

In the mean time, plenty of time to train! should be smashing it by the time you're all clear!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, ongoing treatment for depression is a tri-service medical standard unfortunately. Eczema is best dealt with using over the counter medication rather than prescribed medication and I believe the trusty sunbed is particularly good for both eczema an acne.

Some of the acne treatments can have a side effect that causes dried skin (eczema) and mood changes so it's worth checking treatment for one condition isn't actually making other things worse. There's a (dated) news article on it here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...anned-links-depression-suicidal-thoughts.html

12. Bellionaire679

Not to hijack the thread, but why is acne an issue? They're only spots? or am I missing something?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If they are on your back and shoulders then they will chaffe when load carrying and it can result in quite nasty infections.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bellionaire679

What qualifies as acne? The odd spott or being covered in them?

15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Webbing burns can turn into horrendous injuries, which are exacerbated by acne. Trust me when I say that Pusser has this one spot on.

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I don't think there is a maximum specified number but I'd guess more than two or three on each shoulder would be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Geordieboy7

Geordieboy7 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey

I've looked into this a bit more and it seems I would be classed as permanently unfit as I was taking these stupid tablets for more than 12 weeks. Wish then I knew what I know now.

If this is the case then I'll be pretty damn gutted. Anyways I'll check with AFCO just be sure but I'm not hopeful

Cheers lads!

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

@CHUB! Quoted the following advice from the Royal Navy Service Entry Medical Cell regarding treatment duration for depression, number of instances and period required upon completion of treatment;

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Very good, Alan. Wonder how many spotted that? :D

20. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

:):)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017