Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi lads,

currently 18 and hoping to go off to uni this year and either join UOTC or RMR. Hopefully, after uni I can join as either a Marine or as an Officer.

Currently am fat but got the diet in order and the weight is coming down slowly.

Anyone got advice towards if I should go RMR or UOTC?

2. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

OTC won’t do much towards developing you physically for service in the Royal Marines. Study first. Once you have your degree, you have all options open to you. Or you could go for RMR and really build up your physical state ready for your regular application, with the fall back position of a good, demanding unit in case your application does not go as smoothly as you hoped for. Be warned though you will have to manage your time well as RMR is incredibly time commitment heavy. Is it really worth dividing your attention and possibly failing your degree.
    The other option is to sack it all off, get on the lash and shag students until your course is over then work hard on your phys safe in the knowledge that you got the most out of being at university.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

UOTC is entirely compatible with academic studies. RMR is the complete opposite and as stated by @Apex it is a considerable time commitment.

Having said that, some years back we had a forum user who was a third-year med student who managed (just about) to juggle studies and RMR.

Personally, if I were committing myself to a full-time university degree I'd focus on getting the max out of it rather than attempting to ride two bikes at the same time. There are plenty of civilian opportunities to develop fitness and learn transferrable skills at university. Orienteering, climbing, etc.

And if you want to go Officer how about joining a debating society?
    AIB won't give a hoot about an Officer candidate's ability to strip and clean a weapon or any other 'green skills' he or she has acquired.

• Like Like x 1
  4. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'm in final year uni *text deleted* and also a part of OTC.

I'd recommend joining OTC due to time commitments. It's an insight into military-life and you get paid for it too. It also completely orientates itself around university life.

Admittedly you'll meet some absolute mongs who think they're the equivalent of SF in UOTC, but there are swings and roundabouts I suppose.

If you can (depending on the university), I'd personally recommend joining URNU over UOTC as it's Navy orientated, and probably valued more at AIB than UOTC. At the end of the day, URNU will also likely respect you going the Marine route much more than OTC, and have much more links to RM activities than OTC (for example I got to go to a few RMR holding troop nights for phys, and previous years got to play enemy for RM activities).

Anyway, up to you mate, hope I've given a little more insight into the university unit route!

5. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

Just to be clear, if you were to join the RMR would you be doing it for experience then to join the regulars and undergo regular recruit training? Or would you aim to get your green lid in the reserves and transfer to regular service? Because that’s a whole other can of worms

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    From everything I’ve read it seems like the commitment to RMR would be too much for me to take on whilst at uni so I’ll probably go OTC.

7. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What would you suggest instead of OTC? RMR takes up a huge amount of time and I don’t want to risk failing my degree because of it. Would you suggest army reserves instead, or something else?

also the fact that my uni is far away from home so if I went RMR then I would have to stay at uni through the holidays to make sure I’m there for drill nights and weekends.

8. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Comp sci at Exeter (hopefully)

9. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice mate, already been looking at 6 rifles for the reasons you listed.

I see your serving - are you an officer or marine? I’m still weighing up which one I want to do.

10. zarcher48

zarcher48 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice, definitely not settling down on anything right now and I expect to be a vastly different person in 3-4 years.