Bonzo

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’ve just registered as a member of this forum and am very glad I have done so.

Came across this site whilst gathering information for my pursuit to join the RM. Lots of useful information seems to be available and I will definitely be making good use of it!

I will update on my joining process as I go I guess, currently in the initial application phase. I was asked to withdraw my application and re-submit when my 1.5m return time got better (about a month ago now). I was hoping that by the time my application progressed to ROP (which I’m aware can be months down the line) I’d be in good shape. It’s just the running + bleep test that I need to improve on now and with a well structured training program that I follow (finally), I am not far off ringing AFCO again to resume my application.

Sorry if this is long winded but that’s me! Always wanted to pursue a career in the military since I was little. It had to be the RM the older I got. Towards the end of school I started hanging around with the wrong people doing the wrong things and set myself back massively. Got comfortable living the mundane, monotonous civi lifestyle until I woke up again, sorted myself out and thought nuts to this!

To all those in the application process and especially further down the line, I wish you all the very best of luck! Leave no stone unturned

Cheers!

Murk

Reaction score
Best of luck mate, make sure to practice the VPJFT as well as the ROP fitness tests!

Bonzo

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I passed my interview this afternoon. Awaiting paperwork to come through to be completed and sent off for organisation of my triage medical call.

Anyone with interviews on the horizon, you would have seen it mentioned on here plenty of times before, but you really have nothing to worry about. Your interviewer will make you feel very relaxed and comfortable. Be confident and most importantly honest in yourself and how you come across but not arrogant (obviously). Turn up respectively, in good time and make the most of asking any questions you may have about anything at the end.

It is predominantly about you, your background, interests/hobbies etc. I was also asked more specifically, but be aware it is different for everyone about:

- ROP: what it is and consists of
- RT: how it is broken down etc.
- Commando tests: what they are, be specific with the requirements of each i.e. times, distance and how much you carry etc.
- Terms of service: contract length etc.
- Commando units: who they are, what they do, where they’re based etc.
- Post training: what happens and what you want to do (SQs etc.)
- Why do you want to be a RM?
- Current fitness ability: press ups, sit ups, pull ups, bleep test max and 2.4km time

Any questions feel free to drop me a message and I’ll do my best to help out where I can. Best of luck ladies and gents!

Bonzo

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Passed through my triage medical call with no problems on 20/02. Currently awaiting a date from Capita for my face to face medical.

I was emailed a couple of days ago through my Navy portal the booking information for the VPJFT+. I will send off a responding email on Monday (08/03), confirming my readiness to undertake the test.

Feeling confident and happy that my application seems to be moving along at a good pace. However, fingers crossed I’m not waiting too long for a date from Capita for my F2F (highly likely I know!)

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I started hanging around with the wrong people doing the wrong things and set myself back massively

I can relate, as similar happened to me. It's good that you salavaged yourself before it became too late. We all do stupid things when we are younger, so dont worry about it so much.