New moves for Royal Marines - Exmouth Journal

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]New moves for Royal Marines[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Exmouth Journal, UK - 30 Jan 2008[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Marines based at Lympstone have been taught the moves by professional free-runners to improve their levels of fitness and as a way of exploring different ...[/SIZE][/FONT]

More...

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I don't like it. Might as well teach us how to break dance and use a skateboard while they are at it.

nathanb52

Reaction score
i like the way its been written so that it sounds like its a new part of the Commando training, as if it will actually help us in combat! Really its just a recruitment drive for the marines to be put onto the extreme channel and be seen.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed Nathan. Those moves won't help much in a desert environment with tons of kit on your back and in your hands. All promotional. I don't doubt it's a good workout, but very extreme and dangerous. Not really worth the consequences of landing incorrectly.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes, it will help in combat because it boost upper body stregnth like crazy and will help scrambling high walls e.t.c its also a great recruiting drive and hey, even marines need street cred :D

Zefan

Reaction score
yes, it will help in combat because it boost upper body stregnth like crazy and will help scrambling high walls

Well obviously it will, but not any more than assault courses or circuit training will.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
have you ever seen guys do this kinda extreme running? if you was being chased by taliban through buildings you wouldnt think of jumping out the window and onto another roof and sliding down a pole for example and easily escaping . its a survival technique and i beleive it would help

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Free running is just another extreme sports and its not designed for combat is it, this is all just my opinion but if you have a weapon why the hell would you run with your back against them just to get shot at. Just na

nathanb52

Reaction score
i just want to see the parkour crew have a go on the assault course at lympstone now to see how they cope with that! i can imagine they have the agility to do obstacles fast but i reckon once they've got a rifle and webbing strapped to them there'll be stuffed!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
All those considering Royal Marine Officer are very strongly advised to follow all "News" posts in this section.