New PJFT Standards as 1st May 2018

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by CHUB!, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is there any update on the New BFT standards? Is it gen?

2. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Looks like some are with and some without? o_O

3. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son has his tomorrow and it has the new standards on the results form.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FuriousD

FuriousD New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I had my PJFT yesterday and it was with the new standards. The results form also had the new standards on it that was printed out by the AFCO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

I reminded my pt that they had changed and she looked it up and lo and behold they had so I’d take it as gospel

• Like Like x 1
  6. bcfc_4life

bcfc_4life New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    The whole world has gone soft

• Like Like x 1
  7. almondsandapples

almondsandapples Royal Marines Commando

this is genuinely demoralising.

8. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Why you can not B/S a PRMC?

9. almondsandapples

almondsandapples Royal Marines Commando

yeah true, until that gets adjusted to suit someone high up for numbers.

I'm just referring to the already expected lowering in standards actually starting.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

The truth is that the entry pass/fail parameters are always in a state of flux, it's just that whenever they change of late, many naturally attribute it to females being able to apply.

Talking of pre-entry standards - we usually witness about 40+ changes to recruiting procedures and standards each year, and have done for the 15 years I've worked in recruiting.

Not so long back we were getting re-entrants who were discharged through injury, at various stages of RT, failing re-entry PRMCs due to the ever -increasing standards.

We're getting silly amounts of potential recruits failing the BFT at present, following the sequence switch.

I was talking to a Bootneck CSM about this earlier this morning. He was very frank and reckoned that one of the peculiarities of making the grade into the elite, members-only "Green Beret Club" is that there's an inner psyche that makes you feel like want to close the door behind you to stop the riff-raff getting in. Nothing to do with gender, just a belief that "it were harder in my day".

One of the things that HAS changed recently was actually a fair shout, I thought. Minimum weight 65Kgs OR BMI over 23. Doubtless some suggest it is an erosion of standards but the minimum weight only came about a decade back and it was increased to 65 Kgs seven years back.

The PJFT didn't exist in 2003. PRMC (or PRC, the fore-runner) only came in around the 1980's I think - perhaps @Caversham or @Rover maybe able to confirm?

The proof's in the pudding:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/height-and-weight-requirements.4311/#post-30758

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/changes-to-minimum-weight-from-april-2011.38568/

11. Pedders

Pedders New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Just received my email from afco with my form and everything to book my pjft. States the new 30second extra time but doesnt state the 0 incline? Do you think they will be aware or do i need to contact my afco to make him aware thats it's not stated on the form.

• Seen Seen x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Give 'em a call to check. The gym should know already.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Hazey66

Hazey66 Royal Marines Commando

The PJFT has always been a weird one as it’s the only time (ever) that you’ll be tested on a treadmill. It has to be done this way, so its the same standard wherever you apply in the UK. The testing standards is still tough enough with the 1st 1.5 in 12 mins 30 secs and the 2nd in 10 mins 30 secs, as when you pass out of trng and conduct your annual BFT it’s always been 10 mins 30, so seems sensible to me. Candidates are guided and advised throughout their application process and should be fit for PRMC prior to them being loaded. Loads and loads of PDF fitness guidance pre/post PRMC on the navy website.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    As far as I can say the origional times still stand. I had the run last night with the first run under 12:30mins with a 2% incline and the second under 10:00mins with a 2% incline.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    you sure where you went knows that the standards have changed?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I passed my PJFT last weekend - 9.29 - to the new standard of under 10.30 0% incline.

You are issued paperwork from the AFCO with your candidate number and test requirements on it. I would have thought that would be the gospel according to the gym that delivers your testing. I had mine at Nuffield and they had up to date information so I wasn't put in the situation of having to query.

Best to train to the original test anyway.

I found a good way of nailing it are as follows

13.9kph for the first 2 mins
    14.4 till 3.33
    14.8 till 5 mins
    15.3 til 6 mins
    15.8 till 7 mins
    16.5 till 8 mins
    17.5 till 9 mins
    20 for last 100-150m
    This got me in for 9.29

I found this I nice gradual way to get a good time. Personally I find 14.8kph straight out of the gate less effective for a 10 min run.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. Lawman

Lawman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Defo has changed, i've done the old standard and the new standard, I'll be honest the new standard is ridiculously easy, which explains the failures further down the line whether on the VO2 or the BFT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    It was the incline which provided the challenge/difficulty. Maybe they should have kept the time at 10 mins or even made it 9.45. As I found it easy and I really didn't before. My best time with the incline was 9.53, without it was 9.29. I reckon I could make 9 flat if I reworked my pace timings and do even better with extra training.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    As far as he was aware the old times stood and my paperwork from my AFCO also supported that.
    Seems to be an area of confusion. You'd think 5-6 months would be enough to clear this up....

• Like Like x 1
  20. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah a lot of runners are in absolute bits at the mention of hills. It should be a massively important part of anyone's training and testing.

• Like Like x 1