New RM advert.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Just read that the new Royal Marines advert will start showing on the 7th of November. Anybody seen it on the internet ?????

(Y)

Sam1

Reaction score
OMFG!!

looking for the new one, someone wrote about the last one to come out called "they come from the sea" with the chap standing on the beach shoting and shouting stuff.....

"This is a laughable attempt at macho jingoism from the Royal Marines. “I will come from the sea”? “Pain is my best friend”? Very impressive, darling.

All that business about dying for his “brothers” is simply a cynical attempt to exploit people’s natural feelings of solidarity towards each other and turn them against a portrayed enemy, who is, naturally, brown-skinned, unwashed and shouting at the sea (no subtitles are provided, obviously, because who cares what a crazy terrist has to say? It’s probably just something about Allah anyway. Go ahead and shoot him already)."

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
OMFG!!

looking for the new one, someone wrote about the last one to come out called "they come from the sea" with the chap standing on the beach shoting and shouting stuff.....

"This is a laughable attempt at macho jingoism from the Royal Marines. “I will come from the sea”? “Pain is my best friend”? Very impressive, darling.

All that business about dying for his “brothers” is simply a cynical attempt to exploit people’s natural feelings of solidarity towards each other and turn them against a portrayed enemy, who is, naturally, brown-skinned, unwashed and shouting at the sea (no subtitles are provided, obviously, because who cares what a crazy terrist has to say? It’s probably just something about Allah anyway. Go ahead and shoot him already)."

Thirdly this bloke is from South East Asia,
not the Middle East,
so the colour of his skin is different,
and (fourth?, fourthly?) unless he's Malaysian,
he's probably not Muslim,
so he wouldn't be saying something about Allah.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OMFG!!

Second why relate it to the colour of his skin???

To be honest, and as much as i do hate hippies, he is right. The ad does play on the heart strings and that a bit. But it is meant to, it' an advert, the soul porpous is to get you to join up.

Very good ad though

:)

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the physiological implications of having a nuclear device being deposited from one's rectum...

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
it starts in the cinemas in november

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ROFL good one.

They should remove the advertising laws, so like in Family Guy the advert could be 'Join the Royal Marines and hot women will have sex in your garden' ahh...

lharlowl

Reaction score
Second why relate it to the colour of his skin???

Yeah exactly, and even if the advert did intentionally portray someone from the middle east with 'shock horror' the skin tone usually found in that region, isn't that fair enough considering that is the ethnic group we are fighting a war against. I always see people making comments like that about racism etc. and it really annoys me.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The new advert is going to be given its premiere as a preview in the new James Bond film

Sam1

Reaction score
Last night i was watching Danny Dyers dealiest men, and at the breaks they showed an RM advert but they were all quite short so i dont know if it was the actual advert.

zooby

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just been to see james bond, there were no adverts for royal marines

WrapJuice

Reaction score
i saw a new one the other day, well it was new to me...

It was a bunch of lads playing football and it had a narrator saying "how many royal marine commandos can you see?" and it ended

then later on in the advert break it went back to the same video and it showed all the people who were marines.

don't know if any of you have seen that one?

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i just saw it, pretty gay and target audience is footy'ish lads.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
apparenly that was just one advert, there are a few different ones... i just saw another one asking how many commando's you can see walking across southsea seafront,

S

Sotiris

I think all the adverts for the Biritish Armed Forces are crap. I've been in the AFCO all morning, watching the same adverts on a loop while waiting for my results. They're all crap! They all look like they've been designed for the 16 year old in mind.

I truly believe that most people who apply to join the Marines on the basis of an advert are not the sort of people they're looking for anyway! The only people who are seduced by the adverts are young and play too many computer games.

I wonder how much new kit the money that's spent on the adverts could buy?

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There was an article in the October addition of Navy News about the new recruiting ad

"A new 50-second Royal Mariens recruiting film will be launched on November 7th with the new Bond film Quantum of Solice"

"Following its launch alongside the new bond, the RM film will run to the end of March 2009..."

"A 30-second version of the film will also run on PubTV from November to March"

"A series of 'RM Challenge' ads is also planned to appear on Setanta, Dave and Virgin TV...."

Apperently they were also RM display teams in some 20 key cinema foyers around the UK.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can't say they are not working though Sotiris surely??

Recruitment at an all time high (may have nothing to do with the recruiting adverts i dunno,) and aren't 16 year olds one of the key groups they are trying to target?