New Russian Sniper Rifle

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
A Russian company has just produced a new sniper rifle that can take a target out at 4km!

https://www.rbth.com/science-and-tech/327095-ultra-long-range-rifle

I was quite amused by some of the writings, for example:

It is, "for people who appreciate high-precision guns, as well as for professional snipers who use them in long-range shooting,” Well the Russians would know all about that!

It then says. To increase a shot’s range and accuracy the engineers reduced the “running” part to a minimum after the trigger is pulled, and thus removed the clip. Consequently, what resulted was a single-shot rifle.

But then goes onto say, No rifle of this calibre allows a shooter to take 150-200 shots a day without impacting his health! Only the target gets their health impacted!

It does look as if the Royal Artillery has lost the title of long range snipers with this weapon!

I guess that all sniper units will be queuing up to have a play with it!

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Nice one. This extract made me chuckle:

"That’s why certain components of Tsar Pushka rifles, which are used by Putin’s bodyguards, are made with American technology and know-how.

No surprises there! :)

"Another particularity of the Sumrak is its heavy, meter-and-a-half (1430mm) barrel, made out of high-grade aluminum, which can function despite changes in temperature, from -40 to +60 degrees Celsius."

My bold. An aluminium barrel? Astonished if that's a fact.

Caversham

Reaction score
"Another particularity of the Sumrak is its heavy, meter-and-a-half (1430mm) barrel, made out of high-grade aluminum, which can function despite changes in temperature, from -40 to +60 degrees Celsius."

My bold. An aluminium barrel? Astonished if that's a fact.

Would that have anything to do with the fact that as it's a single shot weapon, it would therefore have no need of gasses to operate any working parts and would mean that the gasses are expelled at a great rate of knots along with the round, therefore reducing any generated heat inside the barrel?

You can probably guess by my use of technical jargon that I'm not an expert.:D

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
You can probably guess by my use of technical jargon that I'm not an expert.:D

Neither am I, so that's two of us! :)

Aluminium isn't very durable. I can't remember what the barrel life was for the old L42 A1 but it was quite low because accuracy diminished with barrel wear. And from my schooldays I vaguely recall that the melting point of aluminium alloy is just over 600°C. So presumably the barrel would need a steel liner? :confused:

But it certainly looks like an exotic piece of kit! Pondering how 'soldier proof' it is though.

Caversham

Reaction score
Neither am I, so that's two of us! :)

Aluminium isn't very durable. I can't remember what the barrel life was for the old L42 A1 but it was quite low because accuracy diminished with barrel wear. And from my schooldays I vaguely recall that the melting point of aluminium alloy is just over 600°C. So presumably the barrel would need a steel liner? :confused:

But it certainly looks like an exotic piece of kit! Pondering how 'soldier proof' it is though.
You're probably nearer the mark with the barrel being sleeved and as for being soldier proof, I doubt it!

Alan

New Threads