New selection process - Feedback

Saracen1

Reaction score
Hypermobility is fairly clear cut in it,s definition -so to be made UNFIT at CTC he would very likely have met the required criteria - how well Capita test is another thing - but if he was discharged purely for shin splints it is somewhat irrelevant as he was not discharged for that issue so Capita may escape via default.
I agree Guide, as far as I am aware the discharge is for shin splints, the diagnosis for hypermobility came about during the examination to see if there was a cause of them, other than just the running.

So just disappointed that he went through a eighteen months after the first medical, having been made TMU for underweight, putting on the weight, getting fitter, passing second medical, passing vPJFT, doing well in ROP etc. only to find it was all for nothing and although it is for shin splints realistically that is the end of the road.

Worse things happen at sea - and I should know!

Saracen1

Reaction score
Of course my comments in post #16 still stand, if anything it strengthens the case for ROP, although accepting my son is an individual set of circumstances.

However, yes he was injured with something that was always going to happen at some stage of RT.

The shin splints were an indicator of something else, had he got through to RT his hypermobility meant a knee or ankle could have given out at any time potentially leading to a far more serious injury which could have impacted on any future ’Plan B’.

So ROP has allowed this to show up, whereas the PJFT did not cause him a problem and again almost certainly could have led to injury during PRMC.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
The one thing that we, as a forum, are lacking is an ROP diary. We used to get regular PRMC diaries from those who had passed, or failed and they highlighted those areas, such as Bottom Field and the EC, where future candidates needed to work at. With them going straight into RT on the Monday there is obviously no time for this to happen, which is unfortunate.

My guess is that the ROP will be here for a while and will evolve following feedback from the TTs. The one big factor will be the overall cost of keeping 60 plus candidates at CTC for an extra four weeks, which will be huge, although offset slightly by not having a weekly intake of PRMC candidates, with associated travel costs.

The proof of its success will be around February/March next year when we see the numbers passing out.

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the circumstances @Saracen1, not good. We wish him well wherever life takes him.

The shin-splints issue is sadly relatively common, but recoverable in many cases with regards re-entry.

The hypermobility issue is a different matter. The Beighton Test should indeed have picked this issue up at the first face to face medical. The fact it wasn't raises grave concerns. Possibly there was a degree of latitude applied but equally, it is entirely possible the medical examiner did not conduct it correctly.

My advice? Raise your concerns via the processing AFCO.

Something isn't right & it needs addressing.

Saracen1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the circumstances @Saracen1, not good. We wish him well wherever life takes him.

The shin-splints issue is sadly relatively common, but recoverable in many cases with regards re-entry.

The hypermobility issue is a different matter. The Beighton Test should indeed have picked this issue up at the first face to face medical. The fact it wasn't raises grave concerns. Possibly there was a degree of latitude applied but equally, it is entirely possible the medical examiner did not conduct it correctly.

My advice? Raise your concerns via the processing AFCO.

Something isn't right & it needs addressing.
Thanks Ninja

I don’t know the score the RM use as a pass but the CTC Physio gave him 9/9, he is very ‘bendy’ which we knew but didn’t realise it was an issue and wouldn’t have spotted it in the JSP as our original focus was on a PMU appeal for an avulsion fracture to the knee and associated ACL injury, which he won, ironic really!

To be honest, when he video called me and went through the test the CTC physio carried out, the hypermobility is obvious.

I was at his first medical because he was 17, don’t recall these tests being carried out.

Following your comments, and in the interest of improving pre-entry medical standards, I will bring this to the attention of my lads AFCO.

This forum has been of great help over the journey to get him to CTC, especially when looking how to appeal a TMU & PMU, so thanks you and the other moderators.