Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

New Site Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by GreyWing, Aug 27, 2014.

1. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

We are probably going to move shortly from a forum site, to a website that has a forum attached. So the forum will be located at RoyalMarines.uk/forum

It will just be so much easier for the site to evolve and show key information. We can get rid of most of the stickies by putting them into articles and the site will look a lot nicer. We imagine that the site will be a lot more "search engine friendly".

We will also bring some new things to the forum side, smilies, tapatalk etc and tighten up the design.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Sounds promising - maybe some of the classic threads could become articles as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RM2977

RM2977 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Will all the previous threads be saved still? I don't know anything about how websites work, forgive me if it's a dumb question.

4. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

No problem, nothing's a dumb question as they say. The forum side won't really change mate, it's just people typing in RoyalMarines.uk will come to a site first rather than the forum. The site will work like RumRation http://www.navy-net.co.uk/

The forum just won't be on the front page any more. Some of the weeks best threads will go on the front page or something. Other things will be much easier to find, rather than stickies on here we can have articles on their own pages.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tsar

Tsar Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Great idea.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm all for it. Essentially it'll just be an interactive "landing page" and hopefully, in time, we'll have a photo gallery so the site will have more graphics on the home page rather than a wall of text.

I note our search ranking is much higher on Bing than on Google at present & hope this will drag us up the rankings a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excellent idea!:)

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I reckon the site is ready for the update to provide a few more features, but we'll hang-on until the aftermath of the feedback from Commando School so that any time required offline is kept to an absolute minimum with regard time & disruption.

9. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I come for the forum, I don't really see the website side of it important. Maybe leave the forum as it is and create a seperate website ?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The forum will remain completely the same, all that's different is there will effectively be a "front page" featuring links to current popular threads and a few images to make it more striking than the current homepage. Hopefully we'll also have a photo gallery and maybe a book and film review section, for those interested. Basically, the way to look at it is simply a new book cover.

11. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Interesting to see "most ever users online 117" when we were hosted on the official site. We've more than trebled that since going solo :)

Daily visitors are about 2,100 at present, about a third more than in 2010.

13. Beans and Chips pls

Beans and Chips pls Royal Marines Commando

How many unique users do you average?

Would be great if you moved up the search engine results

14. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

2100 unique's per day with Commando School, 2000 as an average through the month.

• Like Like x 1
  15. British Bullet

British Bullet Toilet

I call dibs on the entire left half of the new website.

But seriously, that'll be cool if we switch over!
    What software are you using to build the site?

16. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

The king of CMS's - the mighty Joomla. I know other prefer Wordpress but the good lord put that on this earth to taunt people -banghead-

Joomla is where the big boys play, I heard!

17. British Bullet

British Bullet Toilet

Oh so its through like, a web hosting thingy?

I don't have much experience web designing but I've done a bit using the Adobe Dreamweaver

18. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

We have some new buttons, the like button has now gone. We are still testing the new buttons and will improve it according to feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  19. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Oooo I like this.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's ooh, actually. :)