Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

New Site Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by GreyWing, Aug 27, 2014.

1. projectx

projectx New Member

Will it be more mobile friendly.

2. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

Sorry if you got loads of notifications there but I decided to test all the new buttons!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm liking it already.

Joking aside I think this is an exceptionally good tool to either add credit or discredit to advice on the forum.

Very often there are those that claim the "forum concept" allows duff advice (unintentional or otherwise) and can mislead visitors. My argument is that if posts are rated, the critics (should they ever take the time to actually find out, rather than make wild assumptions) are silenced.

Personally, I favour the forum because it can be searched and is a valuable reference tool. I don't like Facebook, Twitter, etc because there is no searchable database and the same questions scroll endlessly across the page.

In the 7 years I've been involved in forums I'd be the first to admit questions get repeated but they are far more easily and effectively answered by posting links to definitive answers. This satisfies the enquirer and can be personalised to suit.

4. Tsar

Tsar Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    My goodness the royal marine recruitment fb is a mess with all the wall posts. I see a few get really upset if they do not meet the requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

I think most of the new buttons are unnecessary and just make things cluttered although I do like the introduction of 'agree' and 'disagree'.

6. Beans and Chips pls

Beans and Chips pls Royal Marines Commando

The buttons work well enough on ARRSE. Good idea.

7. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

• Like Like x 1
  8. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

We are just making a few design changes to the site, so don't worry if you see different colours. All feedback welcomed.

1) We have a new colour scheme (shouldn't see on tablets and phones)
    2) Template is narrower on wider screen
    3) Weird size logo has gone on mobile devices

• Like Like x 1
  9. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Seen, can we centre the logo on the top as its set left at the moment. Thats my only pick up so far.

10. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I'm trying to get Andy32 is favourite logo back, that's the aim anyway.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110713035551/http://prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/

So hopefully it will look as much as possible like it used to do when it was official. I'm just having a look at how the old one looked and it was very narrow. I don't think we should go that narrow though.

11. L4Isoside

L4Isoside Member

I agree the screen is too narrow, I thought I was on a mobile version at first!

The official one shown above looks quite good to be fair.

12. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

In fact mate I did fix this earlier on. If you clear your cache it will be in the centre again. I'm still working on the new logo.

Anyone else that isn't seeing the logo centre please press ctrl+f5

13. L4Isoside

L4Isoside Member

Mine is seen as attached - is this how you wish it to be? Red lines show how much space I have each side.
    upload_2014-10-5_14-17-12.png

14. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Yeah not keen on the red lines, can we loose them.......... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Yep in my opinion it looks better than the 100% width on wide screens. We are running at a max 1200px wide where as the official Royal Navy RM forum in the link was running at about 800px. So we are still quite wide without distorting by going so wide.

16. Nrfk21

Nrfk21 Member

Would it be possible to implement a splash page prior to registering, that makes it painfully obvious to a potential member that it would be in their best interest not to use their real name as a username?

17. Rover

Rover Moderator

Do you mean like this.......

http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/personal-security-and-operational-security.28327/

Or perhaps along these lines......

Discretion is vital. You should not discuss your application, other than with your partner or a close family member, providing that they are British. You should also make them aware of the importance of discretion.

But if people cannot read and understand it becomes pointless.-banghead-

18. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

There is something right above the "choose your username" option, has been for the last 6 months. It says (not word for word)

"For security reasons do not use your real name"

In my opinion there is no clearer warning possible that right above the box you are about to fill in it tells you clearly what not to do. Yet people still do it -banghead-

• Like Like x 2