New to site

Buster

Reaction score
Hello,

It said not to put my real name when I created my profile so I put the name of my dog instead.
I have currently applied to join the royal marines.
A quick recap on my PBs in training so far:
press ups (to the beep): 30 (i really do need to improve)
pull ups (to the beep): 12 (aiming for that elusive 16)
sit ups (to the beep and without my feet being held): 37
1.5 miles best time: 9:15 min (my aim is to be able to do it in 8min45)
I train each of these every day (running i do it 4 times a week). I have been averaging over 250 push ups per day in the build up to my application recently.
I was just wondering how long it takes between each step of the application ? Having not yet got a date for psychometric tests, would it be feasible to hope to start recruit training by end of July if I get everything done as quickly as possible now?
By the way, I found this forum when I was looking for more information about the process. I found it very informative and decided to join it for that reason.

Shaza99

Reaction score
Would doubt you could start RT end of July mate. And times between each stages varies for person to person. Quite a few people have found that medicals take ages and if you get TMU then of course you'll have to wait longer. So really there isn't a set time between stages the only one being is that you have to take your PJFT within 2 weeks of passing medical.

Imperator13

Reaction score
You can get everything done with 3-4 months mate if you are PJFT and PRMC ready right now and don’t have any medical issues. Pass everything first time and attain good times and stats and you could potentially be loaded into a troop September time.

Buster

Reaction score
You can get everything done with 3-4 months mate if you are PJFT and PRMC ready right now and don’t have any medical issues. Pass everything first time and attain good times and stats and you could potentially be loaded into a troop September time.

Oh so I'm not looking at any date before at least November at the moment? That's a long time. I thought that since there are only 5 stages that was about 2 per month. My bad then, just shows I'm new to all this

Imperator13

Reaction score
Oh so I'm not looking at any date before at least November at the moment? That's a long time. I thought that since there are only 5 stages that was about 2 per month. My bad then, just shows I'm new to all this

See it as more time to get fully prepared mate! Don’t over look anything either, get ironing and globe and laurleing! Have a look at maps and obviously smash the phys!

I applied in October 2014 and didn’t have my first PRMC till June 2015 and then started training April 2016! It can be a long process if you aren’t adequately prepared.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I've processed candidates from overseas in less than a month from recruit test to entry into Recruit Training.

The issue is whether the individual is 100% ready & good to go, with adequate physical preparation and personal administrative skills regarding the medical stage of the application process.

The bulk of applicants will randomly blame Capita for being so thorough or their GP for wanting payment upfront, or indeed those irksome injuries or the demands of work for delaying their pjft or readiness for PRMC.

Truth is, with adequate prior planning & preparation together with foresight & good communication skills, the average person could easily crack the AFCO elements of selection within a week, get themselves squeezed onto a PRMC the following week and allocated a start date within a fortnight of passing PRMC.

Very, very few achieve this simply because they are adminstratively and physically unprepared.

The challenge? I'll personally ensure you join in weeks few ....but only if you are adequately prepared from the day you submit your application.

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, as a first time applicant, with no previous applications (partial or otherwise), post on this thread but if you intend making excuses or delaying stuff, give it a swerve because it'll be an intense experience and time wasters or admin votexes need not apply.

I'll refer any applicant back to their AFCO for routine processing if they do not maintain impeccable comms (I'll only ring once, no answer, no go) throughout or start making excuses such as pre booked holidays, family/partner issues/work commitments/illness/injury etc., etc.

Buster

Reaction score
Hello @Ninja_Stoker ,
From what @Imperator13 wrote, it gave me the impression that there was quite a long waiting list for prmc and starting training. If I was to take you up on your offer would it mean I would be jumping the queues? If that is the case, I don't want to sound like a smart arse but I don't really believe that is the spirit of the royal marines to jump the queue.
Please don't take this in the wrong way, this isn't a criticism or something similar. I have browsed the forum and I really find your advice helpful.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Rest assured, there's no queue to jump.

But, if I go to the trouble and effort of processing an individual who is not 100% ready in all respects at the point of submitting an application, then I'll be more than a little miffed.

This forum has over 1,500 individual visitors daily form 104 different countries with around 2 million hits a month. I've no qualms ditching those who waste my time, but equally happy to invest in viable applicants if they are literally ready in all respects.

Buster

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.
Shame I don't believe I am physically up to scratch. I would have taken you up on the offer otherwise. Medical would have been really easy, I have never had any major injury (fracture,...).
Even the interview would have gone relatively smoothly. I know a fair bit about the history of the corps from a book I received on my 15th birthday but would need to brush up on it (key dates, symbolism of each element on the badges, I even remember a few victoria cross recipients who's actions really impressed me[Cpl Hunter and Sgt Finch in particular], location of corps HQ,...), as for my motivations of joining the corps I prefer not posting them on the forum as they personal but some of them do resonate with what people have written in other posts.

D

dodgyknees

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, as a first time applicant, with no previous applications (partial or otherwise), post on this thread but if you intend making excuses or delaying stuff, give it a swerve because it'll be an intense experience and time wasters or admin votexes need not apply.

Lots of potential RMs on here bemoaning the fact that the application process takes so long. I think this is a great offer and would be really interested to find out how many candidates have the self-confidence to take you up on it.