Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

New to the site

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Monkeycbr, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

Good Afternoon,

Thought i would just pop on and say ello, :bigsmile:

Bored of current career, 23 years old and currently gathering information here about what lies ahead.

Going for my first run tonight after work, wish me luck!! I can barley walk up the stairs! :blink: hopefully if im not being too optimistic should be kinda up to an average standard in 4-5 weeks :blink:

2. JoePRMC

JoePRMC Royal Marines Commando

Good luck mate - stick at it!

3. PLloyd94

PLloyd94 Guest

keep running mate what *text deleted* done for my first runs i just started at a nice steady comfertable pace for about 1.5miles (2.4km) and i did that for about 1 week and then kept moving the speed and the distance its working to im doing 4 miles at the minute dont forget your recovery days :D
    Peter Lloyd

4. Valour

Valour Veteran Contributor

I wish you the best of luck mate as someone in a similar position to me :P.
    Stick at it!

Otherwise welcome to the forums, if it's information you want then this is a brillaint first step! :D

5. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

Cheers, theres a couple of guys that run at work, so i was thinking i could go before work at lunch time and then when i get home if i get bored, and see how that goes, i really need to get up to speed quickly, my brother has already been training for 6 months, (im always behind, *text deleted*) plus he has a gym at work, what a swine!

6. PLloyd94

PLloyd94 Guest

i wouldn't recommend running after you have just had something to eat if you are planning on going at lunch time eat after your run. and to get speed i learnt how to in Public Services it also helps your recovery there's a special name for it ill have to look up on the name.

when you are running depending on how far you are runnning but every once in a while sprint for a short distance and slow down to running pace again.

after a while of that you should start to see a difference well i have you get extremly good recovery time and it does get your speed up to.

Just a bit of advice if you *text deleted**text deleted** use it ;)

Peter Lloyd

7. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

I tried some wide arm pull ups the other day in my bruvs garage for a laugh, and managed 6; palms facing away from me so i think thats promising, considering i sit at a desk all day, will do some press ups and sit ups tonight and post the results tomoz at work to see what i am like from scratch. *text deleted*

How am i supposed to do the sit ups?
    back flat on the floor and elbows past knees and back flat again? i have no idea? how many of these is expected in 2 mins so i have somin to aim for?

The running advise is excellent, i broke my right leg twice, knee pinned and then snapped it in half so never done any running before, so all the advice is more than beneficial.:uglyhammer:

8. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

well i managed a really light 15 min jog, 29 press ups, and 40 sit ups, but at least im underway! *text deleted**:bud:

9. Mattyboy27

Mattyboy27 Member

Hello mate welcome to the site and good luck with everything if you launch the training fitness tool on the main RM Website you can watch all the exercises being demonstrated by the PTI's all in expected form,when you get to PRMC and perform them incorrectly they will knock some off your score so good form is of the upmost importance.As for totals you want to be aiming for 60 press ups/80 sit ups and 6 pull ups and your 1.5mile return should be as far under 10 mins as poss although u are allowed 10.30.
    Also adding hill sprints to your training would be very beneficial,hope this helps,
    All the best pal

10. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

ah ok cool cheers mate, will have to look at the main RM fitness tool thing at home, cause flash player is blocked here at work :( boo. :nunu:

11. Mattyboy27

Mattyboy27 Member

Its a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* when work does that :doh:
    The fitness tool is good,have a proper look *text deleted* it shows all the stretches and how to warm up properly as well chap,good luck with it all,im now at the PRMC stage(on the 9th march)really looking forward to it now,It seems like selection takes forever but it does come eventually...Watch that leg!!

12. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

Mate good luck, ive been looking at that and it seems intense to say the least, a 20 minuet warm up before the assult course! :thefinger: heheh,

are you upto speed at the moment?

Im sure the weeks will fly by and youll be smashing it no problem :)

Is there anyway the bleep test can be practiced? like a download for your mp3/ipod or anything?

13. Mattyboy27

Mattyboy27 Member

Yeah mate but in the weather we have been having recently i'll be happy to do it just to keep warm haha.
    I think im getting there,just *text deleted* get the press-ups total up,am only *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* low 50 at the mo,am happy with the running usually hitting 8.30/8.45 on the 1.5mile returns so fingers crossed i should be okay.
    There is a downloads section on the fitness tool which includes the bleep test and a few other bits as well.
    Have ya spoke to the AFCO yet?

14. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

ah sweet ill *text deleted* a look at the fitness tool tonight hopefully tonight,

Mate you sound like your doing alright specially as youve got 2 months to go,

Have you got one of those door chin up bar things cause your going to have to do those straight after your sit ups, and if youve pumped 60 press ups, thats going to be a mission,

Is that 8.30/8.45 after youve done the first 1.5 miles :)

Nope not yet, im waiting for somin else to pop up so when i take a day off work i can kill more brids with one stone :) i did speak with em on the blower thou :doh:

WHY DOES IT THINK IM SWEARING STUPID THING! *text deleted**

15. Mattyboy27

Mattyboy27 Member

Yeah got 1 a few weeks ago,am trying to do 10/15 a day with a couple of rest days a week.
    The times are after the first 1.5 yep.i try and keep the first to 11.45/12.00 mins,have 60secs rest then give it the best on the way back. also do a 4.5/5 miler during the week just to build a bit of stamina.
    If you get time u should also check out "commando on the front line"on you tube,u might have seen it already but if you havent then its a good insight to the 32 week training course.
    its quite long but well worth a watch....

16. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

the 5 milers a good idea,

im going to get one of those door things hopefully at the end of the month, deff worth the money,

im off to see avatar tonight, i dont suppose its anything like that is it? l o l (is not a swear word!!)

bit naughty really cause i was supposed to play squash tonight!!

comando on the front line - ok makes sense, something for the weekend then :)

how long have you been training for?

Is the running your doing on the tread mill? if so will that hinder you?

is there a minimum amount of attempts you can do on the PRMC? (i mean can you keep on coming back and trying?)

17. Phantom

Phantom Royal Marines Commando

I would think the minimum is one, unless you decide it's not for you? :cheesy:

As far as I'm aware the maximum attempts for PRMC is two, but you could be given a third for exceptional circumstances.

Make no mistake however, the aim should be to pass the course first time. If you fail then you'll have to wait a certain amount of time before you'll be invited back for a retake (3, 6 or 9 months).

Good luck, fella.

18. Mattyboy27

Mattyboy27 Member

It is good and worth the money.
    The running is all road and trail running,the only time ive used a treadmill is on the PJFT which u have to do in the local gym.
    Well i started my application last June so been running since then but only started seriously in November,did a few Duathlons with my brother in law which helped by having a race to train for,you know,breaks it up a bit.
    Not sure about how many goes you get,i think its graded so if you fail you are given advice on what to improve on before attempt 2.Best just to smash it first time ha ha.
    Avatar looks good let me know after youve seen it will ya?

19. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

thaks sd4857

ah matty that time frame makes sense, i never thought of going in for a race type senario! good idea,

i really hope i can keep the ball rolling on the fitness thing hopefully it may be easier for me as by the time ill start the whole PRMC itll be the summer-ish,

do i have to see a careers advisor or can they just send me paper work to get the ball rolling?

20. Monkeycbr

Monkeycbr Member

Woop works finished for the day!! :bud:

catcha tomoz :)