New Training Program Needed

spiderman

Reaction score
As you all may know I am training for the Rifles. Currently I do not have a real program that I stick to. On tuesday I went running for around 10 miles at a slow jog and today 4.68 at the same pace. I currently do no upperbody except max pull ups on the chin up bar everytime I go underneath it.

Does anyone have any decent running programs (can't run very fast for long periods) and some upper body circuits with a few press ups. I am too thick for all this HITT stuff and evil russian push up workout, and the Royal Marine one has all box lifts and jumps which I do not have access to. I am looking to get a new ADSC date before the end of October so need to start hardcore now *text deleted*.

Don't have a job so I have all the time in the world!

spiderman

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. It was help in devising my own plan. Here is my new training schedule feel free to criticise as I don't know how effective it will be. Thanks guys.

Monday - Upper body circuit

Tuesday - 3 miler cross country steady pace

Wednesday- 3 miler fartlek

Thursday - 1.5 mile best effort

Friday - Upper body circuit

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - 10 miler slow jog

I will also do max push up/ sit ups every morning and chin ups every time I go under the bar. Also throughout the day I will do push ups under every door I go under.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Spidey, just had a look at your program and think you should consider rearranging your training split so you're not running on 3 consecutive days. For example:

M-Upper body
T-3 mile cross country
W-1.5 mile best effort
T-Upper body
F-3 mile fartlek
S-Rest
S-10 mile jog

That minor alteration should give you more rest between your runs, so you should be able to work slightly harder and recover better.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i heard two rest days in the week. rest days are even more important than exersize as it give *text deleted* body time to recover and become fitter

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Talking about box jumps, i have access to them either. I just changed it to burpees.