Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

New & Unsure

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Brummielad1, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Brummielad1

Brummielad1 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi All,

I am interested in joining the RMR, however I am not sure where to start the journey.

I am currently employed full time with my evenings and weekends free. I would say I am in a fairly fit condition, however I want to be at a higher level of fitness prior to attending a PRMC in order to maximise my chances of being successful. I am aiming to spend 3-6 months focusing on improving my fitness levels before the PRMC. My question is should I submit and application form now or wait until I am at an acceptable level to pass the PRMC - i.e. how long is the process between completing the application form to being asked to sit NSRT, interview/medical tests, PJFT and the PRMC?

What is the best method people have used to prepare for the NSRT? - I can only find the practice questions on the navy site but these stay the same each time so you can only repeat these questions a set amount of time before you start memorising the answers.

I am currently working in a white collar role but I also have lots of experience in physical, 'hands on' if you will, work. I am also not the tallest/biggest of lads. I think that I have it in me to meet the tough requirements joining the RM brings, however the thought of being looked at differently coming from an office background and not being a tall/big lad is holding me back slightly. I don't want to invest so much time in to preparing for the process to find that I am not the best fit. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have no previous military experience so I am a little nervous in terms of joining the force and fitting in - are the staff friendly/will I feel welcomed if I tried to join? I would give the process all I had but equally I don't want to be giving up my free time to be attempting to join a place that doesn't make me feel welcome.

I started my training today - can anyone recommend any training tips to help me tailor my plan to ensure I am best prepared for the PJFT/PRMC?

I have also booked to attend a RMR experience session at my local detachment (Birmingham) - has anyone attended one of these sessions? and if so what are they like?

Apologies for the vast amount of questions above - I just have so many questions!

Thanks in advance,
    T

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A warm welcome. Just dive in. Hopefully others will be along soon who can give you the benefit of their recent experience and answer your specific questions.

A general observation about being made to feel welcome by the RMR:
    I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that anyone who demonstrates commitment and generally makes maximum effort will fit in nicely. But as before, others will chip in with their own comments. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Hi there , repeat what Chelonian has said if you prepared to put in thw work most Bootnecks will / would welcome you most are outgoing and can be loud confident types so generally friendly , some areof course the strong say nothing but a grunt type as well.!!..as for not being big..so what..i am just on 5,5 it,s the size of the fight n the dog not the size of the dog mate. As for a application the RT can be sat fairly quickly once your application is in , you can get a book on Amazon that helps with this one for a tenner , just type in RN recruit test.!!..the bit after that is where time can vary due to medical requirements some guys get through first time others need more info from the GP to Capita (who do the medicals) and this can get dragged out. The fitness side of things are easy enough to find out , just run those and see how you get on as a base line and work from there and even if you don't push a application through..your getting in shape so no loss on a personnel level.

As for questions just ask away mate , or search the forum nearly everything has been covered and there is a wide array of people on here to help..RM , Ex RM , Navy , Army , and "want to be" be RM & Army (Para Reg in the main - and saying this through gritted teeth..i rate the Para,s.!!) and all will help..!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey and welcome

I wouldn't worry too much about your size or kind of person.
    There isn't a single type of person in the marines and I think it's safe to say the lads come from all walks of life and differ in sizes and builds. I've got serving mates who are 6'3 gym, junkies, and some who are 5'7 racing snakes.

The other guys have hit the nail on the head, search for any questions and don't be scared to ask. I've always had my questions answered by numerous people.