Nice to meet you all :D.

raastA

Reaction score
Hello lads, when i say lads am guessing only lads come on this site.

Anyway, am Jack, live North West Cumbria in a town called Barrow-in-Furness. I am 16 and currently at college, which is a good crack but the work is *text deleted**text deleted*e especially when i am not planning on going to UNI. Anyway i figured a long time ago life is too short to lead a boring life, so i became a very confident person trying out new things and now it leads me to here, where i have fancied the Marines for a while. Unfortunately my dad doesn't support me. Which my dad believes the army "is for nutta's and thickies" which don't take any offence as he is a muppet. Besides the army isn't the Royal Marines is it lads?

So anyway, my fitness is generally good at the minute, a few years back, i used to run A LOT, i did lots of cross country running, and after doing it for around 2 years, a lot of people saw my potential and i started a club, not for beginners, i eventually worked my way up to running for my county Cumbria. And before i knew it i was winning a lot of my races when running for the county. My week consisted of pure running, didn't have much time for social life, i eventually worked my way up to running for North of England, which is a huge achievement for me, unfortunately the standard of competition at that level was immense, and shortly after i started dis-liking running. Eventually i quit, and started sk8boarding stupidly, and to cut a long story short, completely *text deleted**text deleted*ed my knee up and now i struggle to run at all. So anyway it is improving.

Sorry for the long read, i guess the paragraph above is a bit pointless but just wanted to give you guys a little overview of me, and not to be one of this who stick around on the forum for about 2 days and naff off.

Would be great to here from you lads and thanks for taking time to read this short book haha.

-Jack.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Hello lads, when i say lads am guessing only lads come on this site.

Anyway, am Jack, live North West Cumbria in a town called Barrow-in-Furness. I am 16 and currently at college, which is a good crack but the work is *text deleted**text deleted*e especially when i am not planning on going to UNI. Anyway i figured a long time ago life is too short to lead a boring life, so i became a very confident person trying out new things and now it leads me to here, where i have fancied the Marines for a while. Unfortunately my dad doesn't support me. Which my dad believes the army "is for nutta's and thickies" which don't take any offence as he is a muppet. Besides the army isn't the Royal Marines is it lads?

So anyway, my fitness is generally good at the minute, a few years back, i used to run A LOT, i did lots of cross country running, and after doing it for around 2 years, a lot of people saw my potential and i started a club, not for beginners, i eventually worked my way up to running for my county Cumbria. And before i knew it i was winning a lot of my races when running for the county. My week consisted of pure running, didn't have much time for social life, i eventually worked my way up to running for North of England, which is a huge achievement for me, unfortunately the standard of competition at that level was immense, and shortly after i started dis-liking running. Eventually i quit, and started sk8boarding stupidly, and to cut a long story short, completely *text deleted**text deleted*ed my knee up and now i struggle to run at all. So anyway it is improving.

Sorry for the long read, i guess the paragraph above is a bit pointless but just wanted to give you guys a little overview of me, and not to be one of this who stick around on the forum for about 2 days and naff off.

Would be great to here from you lads and thanks for taking time to read this short book haha.

-Jack.

You alright Jack,
I pretty much had to start from scratch when I started running last year,
I was the kind of bloke who couldn't finish the 1500 metres at school,
and now I'm doing the Birmingham half marathon in October,
so it shouldn't take you long to get back to where you were,
just watch that knee,
and good luck.

Joe

raastA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate, and cheers for the encouragement.

And i think congratz are in order for you, you have improved massively from what you used to be. Well done mate.

I will slowly get back into training, and hopefully my knee will prevail.

Zakh0

Reaction score
Hey mate,

Welcome! Hope your knee heals up soon! I'm 16 and in college aswell at the moment. My Dad's the same as yours when it comes to joining the forces... so you're not alone there =)

Hope to see you around here.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome Rasta,

Good to hear a little bit about you nd this is what this section is for. Nice to hear that your are looking for a challenege in your life. What I would say is, listen to your Dad but don't worry about your Dad, he will soon come round and the RM's have a family day at the end of week 3 of training where they get to come down and see what training is like.

Any questions just ask and someone on here will know the answer.

raastA

Reaction score
Hey mate,

Welcome! Hope your knee heals up soon! I'm 16 and in college aswell at the moment. My Dad's the same as yours when it comes to joining the forces... so you're not alone there =)

Hope to see you around here.

It's nice to hear from someone who is in the same boat as me. Don't let it discourage you mate, i am not. I am pretty confident i want to go through with it. And ye thanks, hope my knee does heal up soon mate.

Nice to hear from you pal.

raastA

Reaction score
Welcome Rasta,

Good to hear a little bit about you nd this is what this section is for. Nice to hear that your are looking for a challenege in your life. What I would say is, listen to your Dad but don't worry about your Dad, he will soon come round and the RM's have a family day at the end of week 3 of training where they get to come down and see what training is like.

Any questions just ask and someone on here will know the answer.

Cheers bud, and thanks for the support.

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, matey.

Providing you keep your current enthusiasm and motivation, which you seem to have in abundance, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Just keep training and working away and good things will happen (=

raastA

Reaction score
Welcome, matey.

Providing you keep your current enthusiasm and motivation, which you seem to have in abundance, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Just keep training and working away and good things will happen (=

Thanks for the support as well matey. Ye i am not letting anyone get me down about something i would love to do. All these people going on saying "Why do you wana go and get shot" To be honest, they have no clue what so ever, and they don't understand it's the RM as well as many others that protect this country against many threats.

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good to hear regarding your first remark. The second, well, I've made my feelings known very much so on another thread on the 'Jollies Bar' forum. They appreciate the Armed Forces as and when it suits them. If such conflict were right on their doorstep they'd soon change their ignorant tune.

raastA

Reaction score
Good to hear regarding your first remark. The second, well, I've made my feelings known very much so on another thread on the 'Jollies Bar' forum. They appreciate the Armed Forces as and when it suits them. If such conflict were right on their doorstep they'd soon change their ignorant tune.

Exactly mate that's it. Then again this world is a very selfish one, people really only care about themselves generally, and if someone else they don't know is out there fighting, they generally couldn't really care less. But unfortunately it's a fact that we must accept.

lee87

Reaction score
Hey mate, welcome to the forums!

You guys had a strong running, team, remember running the 200m for my county, have a vague recolection of fighting off one of you lads for 2nd place.
Sorry to hear about the knee mate, same thing happened to me, but with my akilees tendon, had to stop my running career then. How ever, training up for the marines now! Take it easy man - good luck training.

raastA

Reaction score
Hey mate, welcome to the forums!

You guys had a strong running, team, remember running the 200m for my county, have a vague recolection of fighting off one of you lads for 2nd place.
Sorry to hear about the knee mate, same thing happened to me, but with my akilees tendon, had to stop my running career then. How ever, training up for the marines now! Take it easy man - good luck training.

Thanks mate, nice to meet you.

Aye we did mate, because we are northerners, the only form of running we practiced was up the fells haha. I used to run 200's as well mate, but mostly long distance to be honest. When ran for North England, never did the 200's then, wasn't good enough. Competition at that level is immense, it really does make you realize how good some people are doesn't it.