Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Nike Vaporfly trainers

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Chelonian, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Is it just me or is this apparently radical shoe advance truly surprising? Thoughts anyone?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/51324991

Shoes cannot generate energy because they obey the laws of physics. But they can conserve energy and release it. Which is exactly what my carbon fibre-soled cycle shoes do. And what my carbon fibre trout fly rod does but not as elegantly as my forty-year-old split cane rod. :)

Fitting a slim, durable, carbon fibre layer into a sole is a technical achievement but it's actually quite an obvious one.

2. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Being an old cynic do you think the benefits would only be felt at the elite level looking to shave milli seconds off times but they happily market out to the masses?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Who are you calling an old cynic? :)
    But yes, I don't think that these shoes will transform James Corden into an athlete although it would be his only amusing gag if he did wear them.

The carbon liner apparently cannot effectively be patented. My ancient mountain boots have steel shanks in them for stiffness. I understand that Asics are about to release their own version. I'm pondering if the tech advance has been the development of a carbon fibre formulation which will cope with the repeated bend stresses over one million plus steps while maintaining energy efficiency.

I heard a female Olympic-standard marathon athlete suggest in a radio interview that the shoes might give someone a three-minute advantage in her discipline.

But everyone has the opportunity to buy production versions of the shoes. Also, in cycling it is not unknown at elite level for riders to choose, say, another manufacturer's wheels and then stick their own sponsor's logo on.

I don't hear Andy Murray bemoaning the neglect of 1960's wood-frame Slazenger rackets in elite tennis.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Going back a few years there was controversy about carbon fibre prosthetic running blades giving paralympic athletes an unfair advantage.

Springs, basically.

It's just a matter of proportion, I guess and with the development of graphene, things will change in future.

Then there's jumping stilts - handy for a 3 miler, but crap for the bleep test, I'd have thought....

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Anyone failing the bleep test while wearing Nike Vaporfly trainers at PRMC will feel cheated. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hope so. As you say, energy in = energy out. (Minus a bit for mechanical efficiency).

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Supposedly, when tested in lab conditions, they have been shown to improve economy by between 2% & 6%.

Given the nature of running, however, I’m certainly inclined to agree with @sharpe. It is possible for one to have such a poor running technique that the energy lost through poor running form will negate any advantage gained through the footwear.

Either way, if I could afford them, I’d buy them! :D