Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

No such thing as a daft question?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Apart from the thread title, no.

The reason for this thread is to hopefully explain the way we roll with regard interactive online recruiting advice in various forms, such as this forum and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RoyalMarinesGreenOps

Firstly the Royal Marine Facebookpage and the Potential Royal Marines Course Forum are Official sites, sanctioned by the Royal Marines, intended for recruiting. There are other Facebook pages and indeed forums (RNCOM) specifically for serving or former serving trained ranks. There are also a plethora of unofficial online social networking websites.

It's appreciated there will be a repetitive element to the nature of the questions - it is why the sites exist.

For those more experienced and knowledgeable, bearing in mind everyone who undergoes selection is an 'expert' at that moment in time, it can be frustrating seeing the same questions or indeed the seemingly obvious answer to an outwardly obvious question.

What few realise is these questions are asked daily on the RM Recruiting Line (03456 00 14 44) and indeed in every AFCO - they have been since recruiting offices first opened many decades ago. The difference is that the questions asked are now in the public domain & visible to all.

The thing all should try to bear in mind is particularly with Facebook, the age demographic is clearly a lot younger than on the forum - a large number of first-time enquirers can be aged between 12-14. An exasperated or bombastic response can cause a very negative and long-lasting impression. In some instances it's 'legal proof' of cyber-bullying and reflects very poorly on the service with both parents and potential future recruits. Believe me, every exasperated outburst costs money as we have to sometimes take legal advice and have to employ people to reply to the complaints we receive due to corporate responsibility. The service will, if necessary identify & prosecute service personnel who do not follow the service protocol with regard social networking.

In basic terms Facebook is geared toward initial enquiries including eligibility leading-up to starting the selection process, whereas the PRMC Forum is geared toward those who have entered into the selection process requiring more specific help and advice, together with a large searchable databank of previous examples offering specific, detailed careers advice. The PRMC Forum therefore is intended for repeat visits & the exchange of information and Facebook is very often a source of one-off queries for single visits by those starting-out on the road to achieve their goal.

For those with experience of selection, training & beyond, your help is very much appreciated on the forum in particular - we have about 30 trained ranks who contribute on the forum at present and the input is truly invaluable, we cannot function without it. It is on Facebook too, but please self-moderate when answering the less experienced. Try not to "bite" when you see a seemingly deliberately provocative question - it may not be.

2. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Member

Agree with not bullying the kids, they are annoying but many of us were the same so give them a chance. I remember being that little *text deleted**text deleted* at the airshow who asked a Para in the army section "how many people have you killed?"

But you know what else sends out a really bad impression? The boy who constantly posts wall photos and is some neo-Nazi madman. You'll know his name when you see it. On one photo someone says to the effect of "we need to talk about your profile pic" and he says "I believe in a white South Africa".

3. Grimmey

Grimmey Member

Out of interest Machete what did he say?:bigsmile:

*text deleted** seen this guy, don't go on Facebook much so really don't think much to be honest. Your always going to have some looney, wannabe or straight up prat coming on to these places to talk crap!.

Does anyone here remember that yank on the Facebook page that talked crap about how the Royal Marines/Navy were useless because they didn't let people from non commonwealth countries join unlike the US Military. Then went on to say the same old, "we beat you guys in the in the war of independence blah blah!".

There's also always a random para talking crap as well trying to get an argument going. Marines don't go over to their page to cause trouble...but in all fairness i don't think they have one or if they do it isn't as good as the Marines.:biggrin:

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I am guilty of making sarcastic remarks at people who ask stupid questions. But i try to be helpful most of time. I try to put myself in their shoes...heck i am in their shoes...:huh:

P.S. What ever happened to those dudes that used the African sounding names and just posted irrelevant/stupid sometimes funny answers?

4. lawley23

lawley23 New Member

Just makes you think when the same question get asked several times in a row by different people, I know everyone wants to have there say which makes it feel a bit more personal and reassuring, I put my hands to have taken the biscuit but I can be sarcastic as a person, you'll learn to love in time

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The bit were people need to be careful is when posting under their real name - particularly those in the service.

What has made me chuckle on FB is people 'giving it large' about how much better another unit is - little do they realise that very often we know whether they have actually applied, passed selection or training. In almost all cases most of those purporting to be trained ranks in other services haven't even started training. Such is life.

6. Grimmey

Grimmey Member

Darn it i've been found out!...

haha I'm not on Facebook very much but i love seeing these random things. Some one said, i think it was Ninja that said this that in all likely hood its currently serving booties or nod's in training that do this for a bit of fun.

7. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

@Grimmey the Para was from Pathfinder plt and got distracted by some kid trying to unchain a C8, so his reply was "I can't tell you but I'll be adding 1 to the tally if that scoundrel doesn't *text deleted**text deleted* off"

And yeah Ninja it's brilliant when you unleash the sarcasm on the trolls, especially your replies to that photo of the para/royal babies.

8. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

So, no daft questions, but lots of daft answers.

9. ryan354

ryan354 Member

I promise I'm not joking I remember somebody asking once "When your out of training and deploy to Afghanistan can you choose your own sights and camouflage" You can probably imagine for yourselves what the answers were :laugh:

Quick question whilst I'm here actually... are you allowed to use goggles whilst going through the flooded tunnel at PRMC at during RT ? :dontaskme:

Ryan

10. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

haha that one's quite good. One which is fair though and is unfortunately mocked too much is "are you allowed goggles in the swim tests?" because, even though you aren't, many nations inc. US/Dutch marines, and even SEALs, allow them. Sort of justifies the question.

11. dbar8886

dbar8886 Member

Just saw that too, hilarious

12. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Member

Someone also just asked on FB

Can I join if i'm left handed?

13. Airwalk2k8

Airwalk2k8 New Member

I'm always asked by a friend what gun I would have and crap like that. We've raised a generation of bloody CoD lovers!

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, that pretty much sums it. It's frustrating seeing the same questions repeated endlessly on FB, but to be fair to the young individual they may not be brilliant articulating what they want to know, it's the first time they've asked and a roughy-toughy response from someone that knows the answer but is hacked-off the enquirer doesn't, isn't the best introduction to the Royal Marines.

When someone's Mum rings the AFCO to complain that her son was told to 'eff' off and take his head for a pooh on the Facebook RM Recruiting page, one has to be seen to be sympathetic.

15. lawley23

lawley23 New Member

No way that happened

16. Grimmey

Grimmey Member

Too be honest if i asked a question on the RM Facebook i would be a bit worried as to what people would say. Only because i would think 'oh god does that sound like a stupid question?' or 'Did i say something wrong?'.

You get the most varied questions on the RM Facebook page so i haven't actually had to ask anything.

I would of thought seeing as this is the Royal Marines we are talking about, mothers would realize that its a grown up decision to even contemplate the Royal Marines so they should be able to deal with Adult (mostly sarcastic) responses? Maybe the days of 'deal with it' are long gone. Maybe it is best to show the best impression to the Parents since these days they have parental permission over alot of under 18 Potential Recruits.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I can be sympathetic sometimes. Admittedly not often.

18. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I do get bored of seeing the same questions over and over. I'd like nothing more than to dunk some of the enquirers in a "thinking puddle" for a considerable duration. Laziness is not ignorance, it's just laziness. Most answers are already out there & if you want to join the Corps' of thinking men, then you best start showing some initiative in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Where can I find this initiative? Will I have to be spoon-fed? Will I need a bigger case?

20. Bear92

Bear92 New Member

HAHA!! Love that guy! His comment when someone asked who "Andrew Miller" was, was great!! :laugh: