Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Non 9-5 work

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by THOR, Jun 24, 2019.

1. THOR

THOR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm currently in the merchant navy and work contracts at sea for 1-5 months dependent on the vessel etc etc. Obviously this would clash with RMR training and so for that time I'd definitely base myself shore side (looking at moving more towards a shore based role anyway).

Once you're passed out, how flexible are the non-continuous days? I.e If I had a two month contract come up, would it be acceptable to go two months without attendance but then make it up elsewhere?

Does anyone who's in the RMR, work or know someone who works contracts. Obviously it has two sides as on the one hand I'd be away for periods but on the other it would make me available for mobilisations a lot more often and with greater ease than someone in a 9-5 role.

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    In short? No.

RMR recruit training has zero flexibility in it, and anymore than 2 missed weekends without proper excuses or reasons will result in being backtrooped.

You may want to consider other reserve forces that will be more flexible and understanding with shift/contract work.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. THOR

THOR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Managed to get on the phone to one of the RMR Sgts and he confirmed there are guys currently in doing similar length contracts in the security industry etc.

Basic point from them was there is some flex but take nothing for granted with it.

As I say, looking more at some shore side positions that may fit the standard criteria but if a good contract comes up, knowing there's a willingness to work it in is a bonus to what I was expecting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    There’s only flexibility if you are already a trained rank. Those in the the security industry would more than likely be ex regular Royal Marines.

There’s little to no flexibility if you are a nod (a recruit)

5. THOR

THOR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    100% with that.

If and when I do go, I'll get into some work that's shore based and works around the training. Was inquiring for once the green lid is on and I've had a bit of time post RT. My current work in the Merchant Navy is solid in the sense that I will be able to take 3 years off from shipboard and there'll be no issue getting back on for contracts should I wish once the RMR is set-up.

• Like Like x 1