Non long term UK resident joining RMR?

kych

Reaction score
In my research I have read that to join the RMR you need to have lived in the UK for at least five years. Other things I have read indicate that as long as you are Common Wealth your are eligible. I am a Canadian looking at the possibility of moving over once I finish my engineering degree in December. Does the eligibility of a foreigner depend on the local unit? Would a waiver be granted if they considered me a dependable candidate? Would it depend on my visa status? Thanks in advance if anyone has advice on this issue. I realize I am eligible for the regulars as a Canadian buddy of mine joined. I am asking specifically about the reserves.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Assuming you will be living in UK for an appreciable length of time (enough to complete RMR RT, attend drill nights most weeks thereafter & are available to be operationally deployed) and are legally able to live, have a work visa & presumably have a fulltime job in UK, then it's possible a Canadian ( due to diplomatic links) maybe eligible to join the RMR after a shorter period of residence. After you settle in UK, contact your local unit to investigate further.