Norway Video

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As for norway, happy to never go again
It’s the one place I’ve never understood lads too be keen to go freezing your knackers off all day and plunging into stone cold water get enough of that at home. Bang me out the Caribbean/America any day of the week over that.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
It’s the one place I’ve never understood lads too be keen to go freezing your knackers off all day and plunging into stone cold water get enough of that at home. Bang me out the Caribbean/America any day of the week over that.

My hate for the deployment has nothing to do with the environment. Its actually an amazing place and the cold isnt too bad if you know what your doing.

What grips me are MLs talking to lads of the same cap badge like muppets for no reason, running a "fight week" which consists of skiing, digging in and then moving again to repeat it, but hardly doing any kind of soldiering.

A lad in my troop at the time had done several norways and had said ours was the worst he had done so perhaps I just had a bad first experience. But yer, I'm never going to ski into battle so I'll take a jungle trip any day

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was always surprised at the contempt most (not all) MLs have for bootnecks who aren’t MLs.

Rob20

Reaction score
Whys that flask not toppers?

Because you made us fill it 3 hours ago and run around like d!ckheads before this inspection! Proper nod routine at times. Drives lads mad

F.H.

Reaction score
Is that the Diemacho C8 they're using or is that the regular M4? Exciting if the AR platform is being used more in the RM.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I did one winter in 14 years, I went from Brunei back to 42 then 2 weeks later off to Norway, my body imploded ! Never went back, I was a coconut Commando.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Is that the Diemacho C8 they're using or is that the regular M4? Exciting if the AR platform is being used more in the RM.
It’s the C8. Most of SRS are using them now.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Must admit I've always found ML's amenable, in the main. A bit stand-offish, so they can get their unobscured and meaningful 5,000 metre stare in, now and again, presumably whilst practicing the rugged chiselled jawline, catalogue pose.

Then again, as a Stoker, they probably viewed me as unsalvageable.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The reason is the pay. I got back yesterday and got just over 1k extra pay a month. It defnatly makes it worthwhile.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good video that. Got to say though, that like others on here, Norway isn’t my bag. Like Former AE I did my first one 2 weeks after getting back from Brunei. Loved the jungle and loved the soldiering I did out there. As Rob20 mentioned, in Norway the soldiering is quite minimal. I spent 3 months skiing from place to place carrying a house on my back and falling over a lot. As ‘luck’ would have it I’ve been to Norway more times than anywhere else I’ve been sent! Proffers Royal!

Benefits of Norway;

The extra curricular activities (although the beer is far too expensive)

Sunday brunch

And as G Commando said, the money(if you don’t spend it all on beer!)

But as it said in the video, I do feel it’s a right of passage. What you learn mentally and physically out there gives you something extra. You’ve got to sit in an OP in the middle of winter overlooking a players house. No problem, it was worse in Norway. You’ve got to yomp with a heavy bergan for x amount of days. No problem, I’ve done it on skis.

Norway’s a bit like marmite, you love it or you don’t. Either way it’s definitely worth doing.

Sad to hear that lads are still getting treated like nods while out there though. I’d hoped those days had gone.

Rob20

Reaction score
I've been very lucky and had a few opportunities to go jungle however some bootnecks go a whole career without going. Luck of the draw really as to where you are and who's going. It's usually no more than troop/coy level. Whereas Norway is unit level so naturally more lads have done that

Rob20

Reaction score
But as it said in the video, I do feel it’s a right of passage. What you learn mentally and physically out there gives you something extra. You’ve got to sit in an OP in the middle of winter overlooking a players house. No problem, it was worse in Norway. You’ve got to yomp with a heavy bergan for x amount of days. No problem, I’ve done it on skis.

100%. Its an absolute griz so on those grounds I think its brilliant for young marines to do. Are there many tactical benefits to norway? I dont think so but it certainly makes you harder.