not improving help

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i workout 6 days a week, circuit/running

but i just dont seem to be improving, my circuit is good and my running is 4-6 miles.

but i cant seem to improve on pull ups or press ups,

i really want to apply, but i want to be able to smash the test, i dont want to scrape a pass, i want to smash it,

why cant i see any improvement on these? i have been doing them for months now

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i workout 6 days a week, circuit/running

but i just dont seem to be improving, my circuit is good and my running is 4-6 miles.

but i cant seem to improve on pull ups or press ups,

i really want to apply, but i want to be able to smash the test, i dont want to scrape a pass, i want to smash it,

why cant i see any improvement on these? i have been doing them for months now
Are you taking any rest days?

You should be working your muscles 2 days on then day off then a further 2 days then day off to allow for your muscles to repair and strengthen.
I made the mistake of trying to workout 7 days a week and finding my gym tests were DECREASING. Try it, it worked for me.

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
are you eating probably? having adequate sleep? having enough rest? all just as important as the training self

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i take sundays off as a rest day, and i sleep enough, eat healthy

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
We need to see your circuit to know that your circuit is sufficient to promote change.

Can you post it up in the workout sticky in the training subsection?

mkelly

Reaction score
Make sure you are doing regular push ups, at least 3 x a week.

When you get to failure on them drop to your knees and keep going, this will build muscular endurance.

Same with pull ups, go to failure then stick a leg on a chair and keep going until failure, then put both feet on the chair. Its basically drop sets and you will get better over time.

Make sure you recover properly and if you feel certain body parts are lagging behind, focus on them. e.g. triceps during press ups etc.

Also increase your grip strength, this will dramatically increase your pull ups.

As far as running goes, try some hill sprints, find a steep hill and run it up 8 times as fast as you can.

As well as that try fartlek running, run at your normal pace, then race to the next lamp post, sign, car etc. Recover then do it again with something else. Be consistent and try to do sprints and fartlek at least once a week each.

Make sure you are getting your heart rate to its maximum during each sprint. You should feel like collapsing at the end.

Try plyometrics. Lots of jumping, hopping, jump squats, etc.

You could also consider taking creatine monohydrate, don't listen to anyone who says its just for size. Olympic runners use it for muscular power and endurance, helps me loads.

Hope this helps. Good luck mate.

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We need to see your circuit to know that your circuit is sufficient to promote change.

Can you post it up in the workout sticky in the training subsection?
its pretty much the standard royal marine recommended one, but the website got taken down so i don't know if its still good one second ill post it

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You could also consider taking creatine monohydrate, don't listen to anyone who says its just for size. Olympic runners use it for muscular power and endurance, helps me loads.
Im wondering what creatine monohydrate helps you with? It is more suited for short duration and high intensity exercise thats why it is used in weight training. I personally would not recommend this for a potential royal marine who is/should be doing a lot of cardio endurance and muscular endurance exercise.

As the problem is to do with performance i would follow the others advise and make sure you are getting at least two days rest a week (perhaps weekends as you already take the sunday?) giving your muscles time to adapt, recover and grow

SoM

Jbc

Reaction score
Blorange, please see my post in my training & crossfit thread.

mkelly

Reaction score
Creatine has helped me with strength and endurance. It is true that is most beneficial to weight trainers because it does help so much with short bursts. However one of the most over looked benefits of creatine monohydrate is the fact that it helps the body recover from intense exercise. Any exercise.

Weight gain is only achieved by eating the right amount of the right foods, creatine itself does not cause any weight gain alone. It increases a strength trainers ability to lift for longer periods which in turns helps them to gain muscle.

Also it must be taken in higher does for strength athletes somewhere around 20g+ per day whereas endurance athletes only need around 5g per day.

Creatine will help with strength, power and speed. Ideal for sprinting, jumping, press ups, pull ups and sit ups. Almost everything a potential royal marine must possess.

It also indirectly helps with running.

Although creatine doesn't affect performance in any type of exercise lasting longer than 90 seconds. Endurance athletes do (or should do) a small amount of very high-speed running and high-intensity strength training. Since creatine clearly enhances performance in these types of training, it could indirectly enhance your long distance running or return times by boosting the fitness gains you derive from doing short intervals and lifting weights.

Creatine is used by many atheltes in the olympics and has been for decades. Its a perfectly safe supplement produced in the body itself and its very cheap. Taking it won't harm but it can help.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting post mKelly, you raise some good points! Do a lot of crossfitters use creatine?

Jbc

Reaction score
Nope.

Never have, never will take it. Seems like a completely unecessary supplement.

Only supplements I take are:

A decent multi-vitamin stack (Animal Pak)
Flaxseed Oil & Cod liver oil
Nitrix

I don't even use protein shakes. I'm still gaining, getting leaner, stronger, more flexible and I've got more money as well.

Jbc

Reaction score
Having read some of this mans posts i need not say much ever again HAZAAR!
It's up to you mate, I can see the benefit of certain supplements and I'm not an expert on any of them. If someone presented me with solid science (that I could understand) to state that (x) would improve (y) I would definately utilise (x).

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i dont really feel anything from supplements like protein powder, my muscles didnt recover quicker, so i dont really want to take anything

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 Cents

If someone presented me with solid science.
Firstly I want to say I used to take lots of supplments to go with my previous training (american football) and I like the science behind nutrition in general.

Secondly I am not currently taking anything but multi-vits and Cod liver oil. I simply don't need it for my training at the moment, I am seeing gains without.

ANYWAY, although there is a huge ammount of testing done on these products in food labs etc, the actual effect on our bodys is mainly figured out from trial and error and obvserving overall reactions(there is no way to make a completely "fair test" in the human body) and we are all diffrent if only slightly. So my view is it is a case of 90% listening to your body and figuring out what it needs, the other 10% is intense research, but don't just read/see what you want too. Look for both sides of the argument (there is a lot of both out there) and build your own educated oppinions.

Bit of a random post but I hope y'all can see what I am on about or where I am coming from.

Cheers, JMC

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As for supplements, I'll tell you my story and you can work out your own conclusions.

I used to be on LOADS of supplements. PhD was my brand and I loved it. I tried everything all the way upto their Methoxy product which was supposed to be epic. It actually resulted in flatulence and smells that even I thought were beyond reasonable limits. As for gains, not a sausage.

Following that I tried MyProteins bundles seeing as they were such good value for money. This involved for the most part a thermogenic product, CLA, L-Carnitine, BCAAs, L-Glutamine, Omega 3's, protein (whey), Creatine, Instant Oats and I threw in some electrolytes as well. After a horrible shake one morning where I actually threw it all back up (I've previous urged, never hurled) from either the chemicals or just the thought of it, I came off all supplements.

I did about a fortnight supplement free and have since been adding them back in one at a time to work out what's hot and what's not.

I've since settled on a daily vitamin (brand undecided at the moment, although PhD catalyst is very good but a little ?), an Omega 3 supplement (MorEPA clear winner here as it's the best money can buy, and I get it free! :biggrin: )

Two that get used occaionally are BCAAs (PhD, other brands seem to do sweet FA making me doubt their contents) when I'm feeling run down or overtrained. I then try to avoid using them again but adjusting my diet. I also add electrolytes in after a long session. By long I mean 3-4hr+.

The results speak for themselves. I feel like my body is functioning better. It just feels 'cleaner' and more efficient. My BF% is dropping. All the bloating from the Creatine has gone and left quite a defined body. My PBs are dropping left right and centre and I am still building mass (albeit slowly) whilst dropping that fat. Of note as well is that my mass gain is in density, not size; this has possibly been the biggest benefit to both function and form.

The second greatest benefit is waking up to nice buttery scrambled eggs on wholemeal rather than 'Strawberry delight with creatine and instant oats' :rock: