Not joining the Royal Marines

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all like the title of this thread says I have decided not to join the RM and I have decided to apply for the Paras in the British Army because I want to push my self to my limits I know people are going to say your the RM are pushing your limits. I know i will let my step dad down but he will understand hopefully.
Thanks
RyanL

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all like the title of this thread says I have decided not to join the RM and I have decided to apply for the Paras in the British Army because I want to push my self to my limits I know people are going to say your the RM are pushing your limits. I know i will let my step dad down but he will understand hopefully.
Thanks
RyanL

There are quite a few on this forum who didn't join the RM and I am sure they are doing well for themselves.

We all have to forge our own path. The Parachute Regiment have similar mindset to RM, and they differ only in Military tactics, it's like a brotherly rivalry. I have some good mates in the Paras. At some point a lot of lads would have considered one or the other.

As long as you aren't making your choice on what's an easier route, you will do fine. And I am sure your stepdad will be proud of you asking as you have worked hard and been true to yourself.

Only you can decide where your life takes you.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are quite a few on this forum who didn't join the RM and I am sure they are doing well for themselves.

We all have to forge our own path. The Parachute Regiment have similar mindset to RM, and they differ only in Military tactics, it's like a brotherly rivalry. I have some good mates in the Paras. At some point a lot of lads would have considered one or the other.

As long as you aren't making your choice on what's an easier route, you will do fine. And I am sure your stepdad will be proud of you asking as you have worked hard and been true to yourself.

Only you can decide where your life takes you.
I know I know the paras isn't easy because I have seen the P company tests and they look hard as well. He is proud I just took him and he said good luck

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest, why did you choose the paras over the RM? Just out of curiosity

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest, why did you choose the paras over the RM? Just out of curiosity
I don't know mate to be honest I just seen some tv shows about it and I want to push my self with the 63kg log carry that is all

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don't know mate to be honest I just seen some tv shows about it and I want to push my self with the 63kg log carry that is all

A little bimble with a log? There's logs at CTC... and you may have to take one through the endurance course...

Chelonian

Reaction score
Thank you I apply in March because I am not old enough yet

Based upon your age now you'll almost certainly be bigger and heavier by March 2018.

Resist the temptation to spend all your training time in a gym lifting massive weights. Get plenty of running and bodyweight training in. It will give you a solid foundation to build upon. And don't bin off school—like what I did— instead, make it work for you. Exploit all opportunities now that you have career aspirations to focus on.

Lastly, keep an open mind about service career options. After all, the world is your lobster. :)
Best of luck.

RobFOB

Reaction score
Funnily enough I'm faced with a choice between relatively different branches. I'm seriously torn between the Fusiliers (Numerous friends of mine are in the same battle group) and the RM which is obviously tougher and clearly more elite. Never thought I'd be in any doubt until now!-banghead-

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Funnily enough I'm faced with a choice between relatively different branches. I'm seriously torn between the Fusiliers (Numerous friends of mine are in the same battle group) and the RM which is obviously tougher and clearly more elite. Never thought I'd be in any doubt until now!-banghead-
Same I just don't know like some people said keep my choices open

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It does seem a little bit daft that you're changing your whole future career options literally based on carrying a log though:D

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
it is not just that i just haven't been on a plane or any sort of flying aircraft before