NSRT & Officer Applicant Questionnaire

ginge94

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got my NSRT booked for 29/11/17.

I've applied for Royal Marine Officer role and have to bring a completed officer applicant questionnaire, question like 'whats your motivation for joining the Naval Service' & 'Describe a time you've been in a leadership role' and other similar questions.

I just wanted to check how in depth into your answers they go? Is this like a formal interview process? I can imagine it is however I just wanted to confirm.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My answers were all between 100 to 200 words. Like you say, I treated it like I was answering questions in an interview e.g. I didn't want to ramble but made sure to give a detailed answer/anecdote.

RedStag

Reaction score
To echo Cuzza22297, I made sure my answers were fairly in depth using as close to the maximum 1000 character limit as I could.

Was lucky to have a short (20 minute) semi formal interview with a RM Captain after sitting the NSRT and he said he was impressed with the effort I'd put into it, so it's definitely worth taking your time over.

Might be worth having a look in the new 'YO18 Batch' thread that recently started, the lads in that will be just ahead or at the same spot in application as yourself.

ginge94

Reaction score
Thanks cuzza22297 & redstag, i've been doing a fair bit of research and so I'll just make sure i stick the questions they ask.

How're you both getting on with the 2 x 2.4km runs, making much progress?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Been off running injured for a few weeks so haven't done a mock PJFT in a while. Planning on getting back onto the treadmill soon although TMU so not looking at a PJFT until sometime in Feb. Was hitting 9:27 on the return before the injury though, so aiming for a sub 9-minute PJFT time by the time it comes around.

How about yourself?

Last edited:

ginge94

Reaction score
Oh damn, hope it heals OK for you.

Only really in the second week of dedicated training, im fine with the 1st 2.4km on the treadmill, just the second im struggling on, but im sure i can get there.

Im fine on the road, find it a lot easier to run and its a bit more interesting/more to take your mind off your lungs/legs

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, does seem to be all better now, heading out for my first slow run this evening.

How is the 2nd run going? Are you making it to the end or coming off before? Whats your best time?

Gradual progression has really helped me. Do a mock PJFT once or twice a week and gradually increase the speed of the return every time you do it.

For example, say you can complete it on 14kph speed at the moment, next time you run, stick the return on 14.2, the time after 14.4 and so on. I'm yet to do mine as mentioned above but in my opinion try to avoid messing around with the speed, stick it on a speed and keep it there (increasing for the last 400m sprint). Moving the speed around interrupts rhythm and if you move it around too much, you might find yourself with too much to do in the last 30 seconds or so and come in short.

RedStag

Reaction score
I'm struggling with the monotony of the TM more than the running itself if I'm honest, I just get up in the morning jump on the thing and run for 20 mins at a given pace usually 12-ish kmph, then do either a mock PJFT/Hills/Long run on a Saturday.

Its definitely the first 'real' test of the commando mind set, a test of discipline and commitment, for myself at least

But definitely as Cuzza22297 says, small incremental improvements, even just 0.1 of a kmph each session and you'll get there.

Latest posts

New Threads