Numbers

Reaction score
Hi, im wondering if anyone can tell me the man power of the three commando units and the overall strength of the Royal Marines, i hear the overall is about 7200 but i may be wrong.
Thanks HCR

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not many are there, is that because of drop outs in training or not many people go for the marines?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not many are there, is that because of drop outs in training or not many people go for the marines?

There's always been a problem recruiting people of sufficient calibre and fitness in sufficient numbers frankly.

That's the reason behind this site to be honest, to try & encourage more people to have a go - a bit of insight goes a long way into boosting an individual's confidence.

I've often heard Royal Marines criticise the RM advertising strapline: "99.99% Need not apply" as it puts people off, yet from a recruiting perspective the majority of potential Marines state that's what galvanised them into applying in the first place.

Incidentally, if you actually analyse the percentages that may apply- 50% need not apply because they aren't blokes, 40% of males needn't bother because they are under 15 years & 9 months old or over 32 years old, 5% can't because they are not British, Irish, Commonwealth or Dual British Nationality, 2% have unspent criminal convictions, 2% of those eligible to apply are medically unable to or fail the recruiting test,.....

You get the drift- It is possible, but it's far from easy and even then only if you are 100% eligible and are prepared both mentally & physically.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* most posters down there have the 99.99% need not apply! with the not crossed out incidentally.
Further reason to join in my book, becoming part of an elite few who have earnt there way there.

New Threads