Nutrition and Diet

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think this is a subject that is very important but I don't see it talked about often at all.

What does everyone have for breakfast, throughout the day, pre and post workout, dinner etc for food? I'm 86kg at the moment and I'm wanting to go down to 80kg, my diet at the moment is:

Breakfast
Banana
Belvita breakfast biscuits
Coffee

Lunch (I treat this as my pre-workout meal)
Brown bread lettuce ham and mayo sandwich
Apple

Dinner
Ususally pasta or rice with added chicken, or if I've been on the weights that day I'll get a steak on the way home and have that with new potatoes and veg

And then throughout the day I'll drink water and have a handful of almond nuts here and there

If anyone could give me diet advice or anything at all about diet and nutrition it would be much appreciated

Cheers guys

Kermit-E-Frog

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion mate there's no point trying to decide what to eat, drink ect. As long as your eating sensible and training hard that all that matters. I wouldn't worry about your weight "unless your morbidly obese " but if you just train hard for the marines and eat healthy then you're weight should decrease from the cardio, if not then your doing something wrong. Plus I find that just eating food is enough for me I don't have the luxury of healthy meals and pre workouts ect. And I find my fitness is still improving wonders. That's my opinion.

Kermit

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Points taken, I'm not morbidly obese I'm just a big guy I do train hard in all areas (hence the nickname hyper hippo haha) and I see improvements.

Just seen you start training in January, good luck @Kermit-E-Frog

Kermit-E-Frog

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Points taken, I'm not morbidly obese I'm just a big guy I do train hard in all areas (hence the nickname hyper hippo haha) and I see improvements.

Just seen you start training in January, good luck @Kermit-E-Frog
Sorry mate forgot to put a wink after that haha. Well if it works for you mate then crack on with it. And thank you aha

hug0Lvr

Reaction score
From what I can see from your example day you are definitely not getting enough protein in. Eggs are a winner, also I find canned mackeral/salmon very easy. If you can buy it whey protein is a very good way to supplement protein into your meals.

If you want to lose weight then it is all about calories in vs calories out.

A good basis to go off is 11-13 calories/lb of total bodyweight for losing weight. 14-16 is good for weight maintenance for a general population however if you are training regularly then you don't want to put calories too low or your performance will suffer, plus you will still lose weight at higher calories.

189lb (86kg) individual @ 14 calories/lb = 2650 calories.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/ - can be a good link for setting up diet templates and working out the calories.

If you give me more specifics on what your goals are. as well as losing weight, then I can give you some better information.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I eat around 3000 everyday with weight training 5-7 days a week with biking to lectures etc and 1-3 runs a week
Breakfast- 200g granola w a liter of semi skimmed milk
Lunch- usually a 300 to 500 cal meal of either 3 or 4 bananas, 2 bananas and cottage cheese or a sandwich/100g pasta or something
If I've done a run I eat an extra 300 or 450 cals of beans/fibrous things like oats
Dinner always around 1500 cals usually w 200-250g pasta w something meat or fish based. I usally get 100-200g protein a day.
The saying goes 'you can't outrun a bad diet'
I try to keep fully processed food out of my diet but every tuesday and friday I eat a protein cookie haha
I weigh around 73-75kg at 6ft

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also OP last year I lost 30kg+, send me a PM if you need help w weightloss

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

Using all your info I'll see what I can come up with and hopefully it will help, if I'm stuck anywhere I'll give either of you a PM

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of whey protein, would anyone recommend this

Attachments

• IMAG1153.jpg
    IMAG1153.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14

hug0Lvr

Reaction score
That's fine, the difference between whey protein providers is just price really. 1 and a half time the serving size to get 30g protein is perfect for after your workouts to maximise muscle protein synthesis and improve recovery.

Edit - throw some fruit in with it, say a banana, to raise insulin to push protein into the muscles

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

The best thing about maximuscle is that all their proteins are checked for illegal substances. So you'll be safe at the medical and for CDT.

Fraserg456

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Way over priced, it's the sort of stuff the sell in tesco!
When I was into powerlifting I took myprotein unflavoured stuff as it's cheap and as pure protein you can get then mix it with some nesquik strawberry milk!
Flavoured protein has 2-6% less protein than unflavoured

I wouldn't bother with shakes if you're trying to join the marines, 70-100g protein a day is enough, shakes are for getting up to 150-200g

hug0Lvr

Reaction score
Context is everything. In this case an individual training to meet Royal Marine physical requirements AND lose weight then protein intake should definitely be high!

2.2-3.3 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is the generally accepted as the optimal amount for athletes. If someone is trying to lose weight in a calorie deficit or is very lean then the requirement goes towards the upper limit. Individuals with higher body fat levels or in a calorie surplus require less.

The OP wants to lose weight from 86kg to 80kg so protein intake is definitely more important than if he was maintaining or gaining weight. I'd definitely recommend protein shakes to help you reach the amount required.

I second the last poster on using the unflavoured whey protein from myprotein . com for it being great quality and a better price - I use it myself.

Specific details OP:

2500 calories daily intake
Protein intake 3x85kg = 255g = 1040 calories
Fat intake 0.95x85kg = 80g = 720 calories
Carb intake - remaining calories = 740 calories = 185g

Eat carbohydrates around your workout
Protein shake and piece of fruit immediately after workout

Re-feed day - 1 day each week have a high carb day where you don't limit calories (just don't go nuts and try and remain eating largely healthy foods)

Free Meal - 1 meal each week you can eat whatever you want e.g. pizza + desert (again just don't go mental)

Llama

Reaction score
All about the Belvita biscuits! Haha.

Personally I try not to stick to a plan when eating otherwise I get bored, I just get what I fancy for that day and make it relatively healthy + balanced, then once every 2 weeks I'll have an unhealthy day.

Thomas Oliver Smith

Reaction score
My average meal plan throughout the day.

Breakfast:
200g oats (around 700cal)
1.4kg banana in a smoothie (around 1200 calories)
around 400ml soy milk in oats and 250ml in smoothie

Preworkout: 1 apple (go to the gym literally after breakfast)

Postworkout: 600g bananas with either a kale smoothie or spinach

brunch: 150g black eyed beans with tomato and pepper/ garlic sauce

lunch: same as brunch with 2kg of bananas (and occasionally apples or dates)

post lunch: 1kg bananas with 1 or two avocados

dinner: 1kg red potatoes/ sweet potatoes with 240g kidney beans and broccoli and cauliflower.

It varies, but this is what I mostly had last week.

And I'm far from fat. Hmmm

dtb911

Reaction score

Breakfast:

dinner: 1kg red potatoes/ sweet potatoes with 240g kidney beans and broccoli and cauliflower.

5kg of bananas per day! Sounds a bit excessive.

Pumber21

Matelot
Reaction score
Context is everything. In this case an individual training to meet Royal Marine physical requirements AND lose weight then protein intake should definitely be high!

2.2-3.3 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is the generally accepted as the optimal amount for athletes. If someone is trying to lose weight in a calorie deficit or is very lean then the requirement goes towards the upper limit. Individuals with higher body fat levels or in a calorie surplus require less.

The OP wants to lose weight from 86kg to 80kg so protein intake is definitely more important than if he was maintaining or gaining weight. I'd definitely recommend protein shakes to help you reach the amount required.

I second the last poster on using the unflavoured whey protein from myprotein . com for it being great quality and a better price - I use it myself.

Specific details OP:

2500 calories daily intake
Protein intake 3x85kg = 255g = 1040 calories
Fat intake 0.95x85kg = 80g = 720 calories
Carb intake - remaining calories = 740 calories = 185g

Eat carbohydrates around your workout
Protein shake and piece of fruit immediately after workout

Re-feed day - 1 day each week have a high carb day where you don't limit calories (just don't go nuts and try and remain eating largely healthy foods)

Free Meal - 1 meal each week you can eat whatever you want e.g. pizza + desert (again just don't go mental)

Sorry mate but i disagree.

"The OP wants to lose weight from 86kg to 80kg so protein intake is definitely more important than if he was maintaining or gaining weight. I'd definitely recommend protein shakes tohelp you reach the amount required." Care to elaborate as to why it's more important than if he was maintaining or gaining?

Completely absurd amount of protein and ratio of protein:carbs.

You're not a pro bodybuilder, you simply do not need that amount of protein, your kidneys will excrete most of it as there's a frankly ridiculous excess.

Also, less carbs than protein? He'll still need to train and on that kind of ratio that will not go well - hello exhaustion.

Also, not much fat? If you're cutting his carbs that much you'll need to up his fats, preferably unsaturates, so his body can adapt to using lipids as it's primary energy source, not glycogen. No chance on that amount.

I'm sorry but it is simply not a well thought out plan in my opinion.

I'd feel comfortable offering diet advice, but as stipulated by professional dietetics and nutrition bodies, no one should be prescribing a dietary/nutrition routine apart from a registered dietician.

Fact is, unless you're a dietician, you probably don't have the physiological knowledge to be prescribing a plan, especially in that detail!

Reaction score

Breakfast:

I love bananas but your 5kg of bananas per day made me feel a little queasy. Seriously, what is the thinking behind this?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ryanp16 Being uneducated in the workings of diet and nutrition. Jollies Bar 21
Grey man Nutrition Jollies Bar 4
robbo2270 Nutrition Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 6