Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Nutrition

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Grey man, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

Hardly an expert here but I know among our members we have some real phys monsters. Anyone be it civvie or serving, can share some hints and tips here with regard to fuelling the tanks.
    With everyone in lock down there couldn’t be a better time to get outside and train in the elements. Breathe in that fresh air and work your body. No one as any excuses for shoddy PRMC scores when normality resumes.

A healthy balanced diet is required but if you want to capitalise on all this extra Phys time pay some attention to your protein intake.

Protein builds your body. It creates muscle. It controls hunger. It's a win-win! Whether your goal is weight loss or muscle building, eating enough protein is key, but so is variety, since each kind has its own amino acid profile.

To get you started

Protein in an egg:6 g per 1 large egg

Eggs are one of the most perfect high-protein foods: cheap, versatile, low-carb, and packed with branched-chain amino acids. Look for eggs fortified with extra omega-3 fatty acids to give your breakfast scramble an extra nutrient boost.

Protein in Greek yogurt: 23 g per 8-oz. serving

Greek yogurt has twice as much protein as other types of yogurt. It's also rich in calcium and probiotic bacteria, which is great for gut health. Look for plain varieties to keep calories—and your weight—in check.

Protein in halibut: 23 g per 3-oz. serving

Among white fish species, halibut reigns supreme when it comes to the protein you need to build muscle. Each 3-ounce serving also has a mere 2 grams of fat, making halibut an even better catch. Pacific halibut is generally considered a more sustainable choice than Atlantic.

Protein in yellowfin tuna: 25 g per 3-oz. serving

Tuna delivers a boatload of easily digested, high-quality protein. You'll also benefit from the healthy amount of vitamin B and the potent antioxidant selenium, making it a great nutrition choice. When possible, look for troll- or pole-caught tuna, which are considered the most sustainable options.

Steak
    Protein in steak: 23 g per 3-oz. serving

These leaner cuts of steak provide a fantastic 1 gram of protein for every 7 calories; rib eye, on the other hand, delivers roughly 1 gram of protein for every 11 calories. Plus, round steak is considered one of the more economical cuts. Leaner cuts of steak like round and loin will become drier than the Sahara with overcooking, so cook them quickly over high heat to medium-rare.

Protein in turkey breast: 24 g per 3-oz. serving

As with chicken, this big bird can flood your muscles with protein while keeping the calorie count low. Like pork chops and chicken breast, turkey breast can benefit from a pre-cook brining. If you're concerned about antibiotic use in large-scale poultry farming, you can look for turkey breast labelled "antibiotic-free."

Peanut butter
    Protein in peanut butter: 8 g per 2-tbsp serving

Though not as trendy as other nut butters like almond, peanut butter still leads the way in the protein department. Make sure to watch labels for sugar, though. Natural versions made from just peanuts are best—some stores even let you grind your own.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @Grey man , great thread! Just emailed my CA this morning trying to get some info on what’s going to happen with PJFTs with gyms being closed and I said exactly the same thing to her. By the time this all blows over and recruitment resumes its regular pace, I imagine that we’re all going to be studs maxing out those PRMC score. (Or at least I hope so!)

That being said, Breakfast being the meal that fuels you first thing, I’ve always tried my best to make sure I get a substantial meal in. Oats is your best bet, but some of us get up early and having oats at 0400 isn’t always doable.

Good alternative is get 100g oats in a nutribullet, big scoop of greek yogurt, milk, honey, a seed mix for the fats, nut butter for more fats, a banana and some cacao powder . That way you get a good amount of calories in and it’s much easier than trying to consume it all in its raw forms. Also, it tastes incredible!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

• Seen Seen x 1
  4. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Chips and beans.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

No idea why I didn’t get a notification for the tag. Apologies, just seeing this!

Not a PT, just a lowly sports science grad.

Nutrition is a tough one! There’s an absolute wealth of information out there on the web, and depending on what school of thought you subscribe to, you’ll end up with differing opinions.

I’m not especially well versed on the ins and outs of specific foods but I can suggest a couple of things.

Just keep it balanced: there’s no need to follow some crazy diets or fads etc. As much fresh food as you can, plenty of fruit and veg, good quality meats etc.

Reduce processed food intake: a lot of food these days is massively processed, from vegetables to meat, there’s a lot of rubbish out there. This doesn’t just extend to fast food, groceries can also be crap! Give some thought to the number of processes required to go from source to dinner plate. A chicken nugget and a chicken breast are both chicken, but they don’t offer the same nutritional value. Another example being white bread vs whole meal, etc.

Eat for a purpose: a fair amount of “diet” information out there is aimed at either weight loss, or muscle gain, recomposition etc. For a lot of us preparing to undertake the challenges of RT, that shouldn’t really be our goal. Eating for athletic performance would likely be more helpful and conducive to success. Forget about low carb diets, you’ll struggle to crack an 8 miler on on lettuce power alone!

Eat your carbohydrates: as mentioned before, you need them! They will reduce and fend off fatigue. There’s a reason athletes carboload. They’re also delicious :D.

Maintain a good energy balance: if you need to lose weight, you need to be at a calorie deficit, and with gaining weight, a calorie surplus. Do it subtly though, your body needs time to adjust, don’t starve yourself, you’ll find it unsustainable by losing too much weight too quickly.

Forget about supplements, they’re a waste of time and money, especially protein shakes. Your body can only process so much protein at a time... You will likely be excreting half of the protein shake you just took, literally flushing your money down the loo! Also, the supplement industry is mostly regulated under food standards and not medical standards, which in my opinion they should be, especially given their proclaimed purpose. Granted, they can be useful, but they’re definitely not a preferential alternative to a good diet.

Drink your water! Fluid volume only counts if it’s water. Dehydration is one of the easiest traps to fall into, and one of the biggest performance killers out there, both in the long term and short term. Even more so now the weather is warming up! If you start to feel thirsty, you’re already dehydrated!

Don’t be vegan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2020