Nzsas & Asas

Sitmus

Reaction score
Do the NZSAS (New Zealand Special Air Service) and ASAS (Australian Special Air Service) go through the same training and selection?

Echus

Reaction score
Nope, the NZSAS and ASAS are seperate identities. While I imagine they probably do advanced training and exercises with each other, the selection and initial training is seperate.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Echus,

I believe you are the first Kiwi on here, got a few aussies though so nice to balance it up. :doh:

S

Sotiris

There's a brilliant documentary about the NZSAS on you-tube. Can't exactly remember what it's called but type in "sas New Zealand" or something and it should come up in predicted text.

Echus

Reaction score
The documentary is called NZSAS - First Among Equals. Faaaaaarking interesting. Kinda cool actually, there are a number of locations I recognise from where I did my Basic in NZ. Hell, there were actually a bunch of them doing stuff up there while I was undergoing my 'boot-camp' phase in training. Pretty crazy, they would come back from their morning runs while we were just forming up for ours at 0530h and we'd hear gun-fire at random times during the night and stuff. So sweet.

Welcome to the site Echus,

I believe you are the first Kiwi on here, got a few aussies though so nice to balance it up. :doh:
Chur. I'm in the New Zealand Navy looking at crossing over to the Marines at some stage in several years time. Have been inspired by the amount of RM and RN personnel we get transferring down here. There is actually a ex-RNZN Petty Officer who is currently doing his Commando course which is kinda cool.

rmcbeast

Reaction score
The documentary is called NZSAS - First Among Equals. Faaaaaarking interesting. Kinda cool actually, there are a number of locations I recognise from where I did my Basic in NZ. Hell, there were actually a bunch of them doing stuff up there while I was undergoing my 'boot-camp' phase in training. Pretty crazy, they would come back from their morning runs while we were just forming up for ours at 0530h and we'd hear gun-fire at random times during the night and stuff. So sweet.

Chur. I'm in the New Zealand Navy looking at crossing over to the Marines at some stage in several years time. Have been inspired by the amount of RM and RN personnel we get transferring down here. There is actually a ex-RNZN Petty Officer who is currently doing his Commando course which is kinda cool.
Dont get me wrong when i say this but id much prefer to do the training depicted on the nzsas programe than the one here england, and im saying this because i went through 21(R) selection and it is very hard! although i think id be better at 22 selection cause u dont have to hold down a job at the same time which is the bad thing about it! anyways looking at the nzsas program makes me want to do their training! still looks hard *text deleted**!

Dansusername

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sorry RMCBeast but I have to ask, how far did you get along on selection with 21?
I began with 23 but left early on, relationship issues, cant wait to start recruit training but cant help but wish I'd stayed on!