Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

OAQ Scholarship Application

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by editomo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. editomo

editomo New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Afternoon guys, I’m applying for the RM with a sixth form scholarship and have recently booked my psychometric tests over the portal. They sent me requests for information including my birth certificate, passports and also the Officer Applicant Questionnaire. I’m struggling with the OAQ because I feel like I’m constantly referring to my time in the cadets and might sound like a broken record. In addition I’ve heard of lads having the SIFT interview and careers discussion at the same time but would the AFCO not schedule them separately (while also letting me know)?Also- does anyone know if the OAQ has to be submitted prior to the psychometric tests? Thanks lads- sorry to go one

2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As you are only 15 they will not be expecting too much with regards to life experience. Try and have a think about anything you have done independently. Have you captained a sports team, done any charity work, worked part time, organised anything alone or as part of a team?

At this stage they are looking for potential so if all you can come up with is cadets, so be it, but have a think about what you are going to do over the next year or so for the sift interview. Have a clear plan about what you are going to do to get experience. Filling out an OAQ can often be the spur to get off your backside and into the wider world, especially if you feel it is a little thin.

Not sure about the other questions you ask but I’m sure someone more qualified than me can help.

Getting a bursary is tricky so if it doesn’t work out for you, chin up and reapply when you have a little more experience. Good luck with your application!

• Like Like x 2
  3. editomo

editomo New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @dodgyknees - Thanks for the advice I think I’ll definitely be looking at getting a bit more experience during sixth form

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The OAQ is the basis of your initial Career Discussion - after passing the Recruit Test.

My advice is fill it out on a PC, print it off and take it with you when you sit the Naval Service Recruit Test - unless advised to return it sooner or to upload a complete form via the recruiting portal.

A handwritten form can be difficult to read & you can get more detail on a computer-written form. Remember, the more information and examples you can give, the fewer unexpected or seemingly random questions likely to be asked.

Take your time completing the form, check spelling and grammar.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1