Officer Applicant - Current Employer Concern

Zandvoort10

Reaction score
Morning all,

At what point during your application do the RM contact your civvie job? I'm currently filling in my application (they say you can still make the '18 batch but not sure how likely that is reading threads here) and there is a section where you fill out both current and previous employment, only thing I'm slightly concerned about is how soon they contact my civvie job.

I didn't plan on telling my work until I knew I was eligible because I'd only be shooting myself and my civvie career in the foot if the RM reject me on medical grounds or after the initial interview. Basically I would rather not tell them until I'm confident I'm leaving.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
We do not contact your current employer unless you nominate them as a referee. We do background checks as part of security clearance to ensure your employment is legit, but your employer won't be aware of it.

To make the 2018 batch you need to take charge of your application and crack on with it. The new Defence Recruiting System (DRS) is having major "teething" issues and it's entirely feasible that unless you are pro-active in progressing your application, it could easily fall between the cracks.

Good luck.

Zandvoort10

Reaction score
We do not contact your current employer unless you nominate them as a referee. We do background checks as part of security clearance to ensure your employment is legit, but your employer won't be aware of it.

To make the 2018 batch you need to take charge of your application and crack on with it. The new Defence Recruiting System (DRS) is having major "teething" issues and it's entirely feasible that unless you are pro-active in progressing your application, it could easily fall between the cracks.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for that. What I wanted to hear.

One final query. I'm raring to go and start training, but from reading some of the lads on here I've left myself slightly unconvinced I'll be able to get fit enough in time for the POC.

My understanding from reading older posts here is that the latest POC date will be in March, and also that it isn't your choice when you attend, I could be put down for earlier than that. That would leave me with 12 weeks maximum to get from someone of average fitness, to a POC quality candidate. Some of the lads here seem to have been training for much longer.

In that short timeframe, would you say that 2019 batch is more realistic, or so you think I could get in shape (training 6 days, which is what I will do in preparation) for the POC's in 2018?

Chelonian

Reaction score
In that short timeframe, would you say that 2019 batch is more realistic, or so you think I could get in shape (training 6 days, which is what I will do in preparation) for the POC's in 2018?

Ninja will give you the definitive answer but from my wholly unqualified perspective perhaps consider doing this:

Bust a gut progressing your application and training (for both POC and AIB). You'll have to get your running shoes on, literally and figuratively. Aim wholeheartedly on making the 2018 Batch. The time frame is short but it also concentrates the mind!

If the 2018 target isn't achieved for any particular reason you have the 2019 Batch to aim for with the benefit of experience. Best of luck.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that. What I wanted to hear.

One final query. I'm raring to go and start training, but from reading some of the lads on here I've left myself slightly unconvinced I'll be able to get fit enough in time for the POC.

My understanding from reading older posts here is that the latest POC date will be in March, and also that it isn't your choice when you attend, I could be put down for earlier than that. That would leave me with 12 weeks maximum to get from someone of average fitness, to a POC quality candidate. Some of the lads here seem to have been training for much longer.

Track down arny's plan on this forum and get started on that. If you have 12 weeks i'd suggest 2 at 1/4 volume, 2 at 1/2 volume and then 2 at 3/4 volume before smashing it at 6 weeks full volume leading up to your POC. If theres anything that'll get you fit enough in time its that programme. Then, if you don't quite get it as Chelonian says, look towards the 2019 batch with the mindset that you'll have plenty of time to train so nothing less than max scores will do.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm no expert on phys unfortunately, but a few tips and pointers:

My son (19) started doing a bit of daily phys, with the intention of reaching a decent 5km run time in a couple of months.

He achieved it, but what scared me, whilst looking through a variety of so called "sports shops" was the amount of literally crap trainers they sell. They purport to be trainers but are nothing of the sort. All they are, are fashion shoes, completely crap and expensive...

Tip one: Prevention is better than cure - buy proper running shoes with cushioned/padded heels, not the snazzy fashion crap.

Example? I visisted JD Sports - not one pair of running.shoes sighted in the branch I visited, but loads of branded, useless stuff pretending to be running shoes.

Tip two: don't ignore injuries but train smart. Bodyweight training yes, Weight Lifting/Body building, no.

Tip three: mix up your CV fitness. Include regular cycles & swims on the days inbetween runs.

Hopefully those better versed than I will give you a few more tips & pointers.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what scared me, whilst looking through a variety of so called "sports shops" was the amount of literally crap trainers they sell. They purport to be trainers but are nothing of the sort. All they are, are fashion shoes, completely crap and expensive...
When I first started training for my application, my dad (who’s In his 31st year in the army and still going) said to me the first thing I need is a decent pair of running shoes, and he was kind enough to buy me my first pair and he guided me to get the most suitable ones in terms of soles and how they ‘should’ fit.
Asics.
£70 at the most for shoes that will last for months in all conditions (possibly longer than months, I usually buy a new pair every 6 months so that my legs don’t suffer, I use my old ones to walk the dogs etc. So they still have their uses)
Asics is the go-to brand in my eyes for running shoes.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
When I first started training for my application, my dad (who’s In his 31st year in the army and still going) said to me the first thing I need is a decent pair of running shoes, and he was kind enough to buy me my first pair and he guided me to get the most suitable ones in terms of soles and how they ‘should’ fit.
Asics.
£70 at the most for shoes that will last for months in all conditions (possibly longer than months, I usually buy a new pair every 6 months so that my legs don’t suffer, I use my old ones to walk the dogs etc. So they still have their uses)
Asics is the go-to brand in my eyes for running shoes.
Funnily enough, that's precisely the brand I bought for him because they don't muddy the water like other brands which sell fashion stuff then expect people to buy their genuine running shoes. Tick.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty of shops out there that offer gait analysis, get yourself to one of them if possible. I got my pair in one for £100, far from cheap but the amount you’ll be running definitely worth it.

Hadn’t even heard of the brand of shoe at the time, which I took to be a good sign

Jaguar2187

Reaction score
Plenty of shops out there that offer gait analysis, get yourself to one of them if possible. I got my pair in one for £100, far from cheap but the amount you’ll be running definitely worth it.

Hadn’t even heard of the brand of shoe at the time, which I took to be a good sign

You can get running shoes from 'last season' for around half the price. I bought a pair from Asics recently for £50, which were almost identical in every aspect but colour to the newer-season model at £100. I suppose its just like selling any other item of clothing really, don't bother going for the latest season stuff

Latest posts

New Threads