Officer eligbility

westphili

Reaction score
just a real quick question because the internet info seems a bit finicky
to be a officer in the royal marines do you have to be British born ?
what are the exact residency rules ? myself as an Irish/new Zealand citizen (vice had a Irish citizenship since birth and an Irish passport) would i be eligible ?

just a quick question out of curiosity really

@Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi

To join as a Royal Marines Officer, regardless of Residency, applicants must hold a valIid British passport besides any other. The reason, as I understand it, is to do with the Nuclear Weapons protocols between UK and the US and the role that RM Officers could undertake in the course of their duties.

To join as an RM Other Rank, those holding an Irish passport are exempt residency requirements and can apply whilst resident in Ireland.

All the best

westphili

Reaction score
Hi

To join as a Royal Marines Officer, regardless of Residency, applicants must hold a valid British passport besides any other. The reason, as I understand it, is to do with the Nuclear Weapons protocols between UK and the US and the role that RM Officers could undertake in the course of their duties.

To join as an RM Other Rank, those holding an Irish passport are exempt residency requirements and can apply whilst resident in Ireland.

All the best
thanks a million !