Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Officer: Minimum Service

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by Kaza, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kaza

Kaza New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    So I've been seeing mixed things about this when looking online.

Can anyone give me the details on the minimum service as an Officer or Young Officer once passing out after 15 months?

Just so I can gen up for interview:)
    Cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

So, ya, it's like round about 4 or 5 years total, dude. Ish.

Officers can voluntarily withdraw from their initial training up to a defined point in their training pipeline known as the Premature Termination of Career Training (PTCT) point. For RM Officers, this is up to completion of Phase Two training.

There's then 60 months Return of Service after training, supposedly . In total, 6 years 3 months is the official minimum.

Br3, Table 53B-1 states the RM Officer Return of Service is 5 year AFTER completing phase two training: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/royal navy responsive/documents/reference library/br 3/Br3book/an53b.pdf

In reality, 4 years total service is nearer the mark - if an RM Officer doesn't want to be there, he isn't really employable as you don't want a hacked-off individual leading his men on the battlefield.

The New Employment Model should be out next year, so it's quite possible this may well change.

3. Kaza

Kaza New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Got another question, ;)

I'm struggling to find out how long phase 2 training is?

Also is Phase 1 15 months or 15 and 1/2? Just want to make sure I'm bang accurate ;)

Cheers

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

5. Kaza

Kaza New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Okay Thankyou mate. How long does Phase 2 last? Can't find that anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

6. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Keep shouting Sir, we'll find you.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'll need to double check with CTC upon their return - as you state, it doesn't appear in BR3, the reference source. I'd imagine phase two would be simply consolidation/on job training during your first appointment as a troop commander, the duration dependent on the appointment and the time it takes each individual to achieve Operational Performance Standard in the view of his OC.

Possibly @thewatcher can advise, if he logs in.

8. JJJAR

JJJAR New Member

Just 'bumping' this to ask whether Ninja can provide anymore info. on the length and nature of phase two training? Is what you wrote above that phase two is dependent upon 'the time it takes each individual to achieve Operational Performance Standard in the view of his OC.' correct? If so, out of interest does anyone have any information for how long this generally takes?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Unfortunately CTC are on leave for the next couple of weeks, but I'll enquire once more upon their return.

10. JJJAR

JJJAR New Member

Thanks much appreciated!