Officer or Entry Level Commando?

matthew.glynn1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am seriously thinking about applying to the Royal Marines, but I am unsure whether I should apply as an officer or go in at the entry level.

I am 24, have completed a Law degree at Nottingham Trent University, and have spent the last 2 years or so in an office based role for large sports company IMG.

An office role is simply not for me. I have a natural sense of adventure and don't want a run of the mill career. I want an exciting, adrenaline rushed career where I am challenged as part of a team learning together.

Understandably, the POC is much more difficult than an entry level commando. However, the training is much longer and I am in a position where I want to get in and begin my career.
My fitness levels are very high. I gym 5 times a week, and have done since I started University in 2006.

Press-ups in 2 mins - 72
Sit-ups in 2 mins - 64
2.4km run (with 1 min gap) - 16:00

Does anybody have any pointers as to what I should be thinking about most in my decision?

I also understand that I can begin 2 applications - 1 for an officer, and 1 for entry level commando at the same time. If I then fail the officer training, I can continue forward with the other. Is this correct?

Hope you can all help.

Thanks,

Matt

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Might be worth looking in the POC section of this forum mate, there are countless threads started by people in very similar situations that you are in.

Good luck with your application

Naylor

Reaction score
16 minute 3 milers!??! How is that possible??!! Thats crazy fast
Says 16 minute 2.4 km, pal. And to the OP, if you apply as an Officer, it is inevitable that you will at some stage become desk bound which is something to keep in mind.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So he's either super fast or super slow!!

Which one is it?

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you believe you can pass the tests for officer then I would go for that and then have OR entry as a fall back. However there is only 1 officer entry a year, in September, so if you are willing to wait until next September then great. Also, if your run time is 16:00 for 1.5 return I'd start running a lot more, need to be hitting sub 10 minutes minimum.

Rocky5748

Reaction score
My fitness levels are very high. I gym 5 times a week, and have done since I started University in 2006.

Press-ups in 2 mins - 72
Sit-ups in 2 mins - 64
2.4km run (with 1 min gap) - 16:00

Matt
Credit to you for having confidence in your abilities.but...

a mile and a half...with a rest... and it still takes you 16min? I suggest you take a look at some of the advice on here about running and get some serious milage under your belt.

(Unless its a typo and you meant 4.8km :wink:)

Regards being an officer or not, you will undoubtably have to spend plenty of time looking at emails and other desk bound as an officer, but i guess its down to how much "action" / paper work you want. Only you can really make the call.

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Regards being an officer or not, you will undoubtably have to spend plenty of time looking at emails and other desk bound as an officer, but i guess its down to how much "action" / paper work you want. Only you can really make the call.
Ignore this, officers spend plenty of time in the field, especially at the lower ranks such as Lt, Cpt.

Obviously as you progress your going to spend more time controlling troops from afar as your responsibilities increase, but there are still opportunities to get out and about.

I know it isnt the best way of demonstrating the point, but the proof is in the casualties from Afghan, Captain's , Major's and a Lt Col have all lost their lives out there.

Rocky5748

Reaction score
Ignore this, officers spend plenty of time in the field, especially at the lower ranks such as Lt, Cpt.

Obviously as you progress your going to spend more time controlling troops from afar as your responsibilities increase, but there are still opportunities to get out and about.

I know it isnt the best way of demonstrating the point, but the proof is in the casualties from Afghan, Captain's , Major's and a Lt Col have all lost their lives out there.
Apologies.

I may not have made myself clear.

At no point did I say that he wouldn't get out.Of course officers spend plenty of time in the field.

I was just pointing out that the is still an element of unavoidable paper work, and the OP should be aware of that aspect.

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I was just pointing out that the is still an element of unavoidable paper work, and the OP should be aware of that aspect.
Well yes, but I would imagine the same can be said for OR that reach Cpl or onwards

Mad_fer_it

Reaction score
I won't add to the good advice posted here apart from to say this: Ninja (the forum moderator) made a post a while back about usernames, and how they shouldn't identify who you are, mainly for security reasons.

I just typed your name and company into linkedin and found you straight away. You may want to change your username and your post for the above reason, and also if you are keeping your application secret from your current company (the application process can take well over a year).

matthew.glynn1

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

In regards to the officer entry being every September, do you know when the entries are for commando's? I presume they are more regular.

Another thing I have thought about is the fact I have a degree. I will look to apply in September, as I am off to china for 3 months and will want to be fully fit. In that case, I will not want to wait until Sept 2013, and so will ultimately go for Commando. Will the assessor's look down on this (the fact I have a degree and aren't going for officer) or is it a decision that they respect I have made providing I give good reasons for? I think I have good leadership skills, and a good grasp of life experience, but do I want to wait another 12 months? Probably not.

Apologies in regards to the fitness, I didn't explain clearly. The pre-joining fitness test is 2.4km, a 1 minute break, and then 2.4km again. I do 2.4km in 8 minutes, then a 1 minute break, then 2.4km in 8 minutes again. 2.4km converts to 1.5miles.

I can almost guarantee that none of my colleagues will look on the royal marines forum, and they will then have to fall upon my post which is even more unlikely. I don't need to hide from anything either.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Matt

matthew.glynn1

Reaction score
I can also close this thread after I have made my decision/got enough feedback from everyone here.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

In regards to the officer entry being every September, do you know when the entries are for commando's? I presume they are more regular.

Another thing I have thought about is the fact I have a degree. I will look to apply in September, as I am off to china for 3 months and will want to be fully fit. In that case, I will not want to wait until Sept 2013, and so will ultimately go for Commando. Will the assessor's look down on this (the fact I have a degree and aren't going for officer) or is it a decision that they respect I have made providing I give good reasons for? I think I have good leadership skills, and a good grasp of life experience, but do I want to wait another 12 months? Probably not.

Matt
OR entries are indeed regular, every 2 week, 1 per month? I can't remember.

Having a degree would not be looked down upon when applying to be an OR - indeed there are more people who join as an OR each year with a degree, than officers (quantity, not %.

It all comes down to what you want to do. Find out about the roles of each to help make a decision.

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The name/company is more about personal security than anything else. And you do want to hide personal info if you are in the forces.

From my own point of view, 12 months is no time to wait with regards to the job you want.

There will be no one questioning your decision to go for OR rather than Officer with a degree.

If they are indeed your stats they are fine.

Mad_fer_it

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that none of my colleagues will look on the royal marines forum, and they will then have to fall upon my post which is even more unlikely. I don't need to hide from anything either.
Like I said, I'm just passing on the message delivered by the forum moderator, Ninja:

no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=28327[/url]

stateproperty

Reaction score
i have a diploma in business certificate and im currently in the university can i apply as an officer matter of fact i from Ghana and im 23 yrs