Officer or Marine ?...

Luke313

Reaction score
alryt,
well i filled in the information request form online and was contacted by the Royal Marines, once they asked whether i'll be doing A levels n if i should get 2 A or B's and i replied yes, they seem to assume im interested in becoming an Officer.
what u all think ? i dont want to risk not passing and not being able to become a Marine
any guidance would be appreciated :praise:

Luke.

Luke313

Reaction score
sorry, just realised that i never asked the critical question... which is best, Marines or Officer ? *text deleted*

Luke.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Luke,

I'm trying to decide between officer and marine. I'm at uni but wouldn't mind being a recruit because I want to pass out as quickly as possible. I've been told recently though that if you fail officer training you can still join the corps as a recruit. If it was the case that if you failed officer training, you couldn't join as a recruit, I would defo join as a recruit and mayb go for a corps commission later on. Although, I think if you are capable of going for officer (POC and AIB will identify this) it's a huge opportunity and shouldn't go to waste.

Luke313

Reaction score
yer im indecisive about the whole thing, because ive read on here that if you fail your training for Officer, your'e not allowed to re-apply as a General Duties Marine. *text deleted* sort ma interview out anyway so i'll ask them guys.
nice1 *text deleted*

Luke.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If u find out 1 way or the other Luke could you PM me or post on this thread with the answer

Cheers

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Officer entry, better money, better prospects, more elite. Enough said.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the NCO's are the men to respect, but I may just be biased. When the bullets start flying by your ears, who're you going to look to for leadership, the newly minted 2nd Lt. or the 10 year veteran Sergeant? What exactly do you mean by more elite anyway?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sergeants run the Military and they run the war, why become an officer, it's just a desk job with fitness and guns.

Zefan

Reaction score
Woah there guys, why are you laying in to Officers so much?

The examples you're giving there are extremely unfair, a Sergeant with 10 years experience to a 2nd Lt.... it's hardly comparing apples to apples.

Given the same amount of time serving as it normally takes a NCO to reach Sergeant, an Officer could reach Captain or even Major.

It's not anywhere near as simple as how a lot of you are outlining. Yes senior NCO's do command respect, however Officers do equally if not more.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Majors or Captains usually just end up doing 'staff work', don't they?

I'd rather be the Sergeant in charge of the small unit tactics of a rifle troop, than a Major in charge of the logistics and supply of a commando.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
just to make things clear, as to what was said at the start, if you want to be an officer its best to join the officer training course rather than apply for corps commions, because if you apply for corps commision and fail the tests you cant go back to being a marine you have to leave, but if you fail the basic officer training course you can still apply for the other ranks.

also, ok yeah the officers do a fair bit of paper work, but its not just that, remember commando on the frontline, that berty carr or whatever his name was, was right in the thick of it with the rest of the lads. and for those who dont know when a troop goes out into the field/battle area, they have a troop HQ which consists of a 2nd Lt or a 1st Lt.

from then above im not to sure on what officers do, but if its just paper work i would gladdly get paid a stupid load amount of money for sitting at a dest. but i expect they do more really. but in truth i would like to be a other rank to experiance marine life at the lower ranks, because i expect the officers dont get up to half as much as the marines do on a night out.
however have you seen some of the women that the officers get... id have some of them in bed in less than a second *text deleted*,

Luke313

Reaction score
If u find out 1 way or the other Luke could you PM me or post on this thread with the answer

Cheers

soz pal didnt really find out, but i decided this morning that being an Officer is not for me, ive got an interview sorted and hopefully i should then be able to fill in my application form.
cheers for the response anyway lads, n best of luck Duffy!

Luke.

Georgie

Reaction score
I'd like to apply to be an officer, but I'd probably feel that I was missing out.

Luke313

Reaction score
I'd like to apply to be an officer, but I'd probably feel that I was missing out.

its not as if the Officers dont see any action, there not sat in an office a million miles away you know.
you would most likely see a similar amount of action as a General duties marine would unless you were promoted.

Luke.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to clarify a few misconceptions about officers, other ranks and the reality of actually serving in areas of conflict.

First off Officers- looking at the word itself, they are an official that holds office and sometimes yes, actually works in an office too, so it's a fairly accurate title. The Officers hold a great deal of responsibility, they lead, manage, look after and organise as well as "get stuck in" when deployed on the ground. Anyone that thinks the administration aspects of looking after your troops is boring or should be done by someone else, is probably not quite ready for a managerial post just yet and is best joining as an other rank. You cannot delegate responsibility, only the task. If someone is delegated and subsequently makes a mess of it, it's still your fault. That's why you get paid more, because you are held to account. (Unlike the directors of many civilian occupations). Officers look to their SNCO's & NCO's for advice from their previous experience, but concentrate on the "big picture" rather than the nuts'n'bolts, the higher up they go.

Other Ranks still have responsibility to themselves, their superiors & each other. Likewise there is still plenty of administrative and personal administration tasks which are undertaken day-to-day. The NCO's and SNCO's have the experience to guide and train Other Ranks AND Officers. This is where the RM's are unique in that officers train in the same geographic location as other ranks, hence the very high credibility & esteem in which RM Officers are held. Having the qualifications is one thing, doing the job itself is a completely different kettle of swimming things.

Despite what we read in the "Tuppeny Blood Commando Comics" and experience in "Call of Duty 4", the reality is that "contact time" in relation to the whole of your career, is relatively short in duration. Most of our career is spent honing your skills, training, practicing, exercising in preparation to deal with the life & death events which are the reason you are employed in the first place. Whilst the body is strong, the mind is less so, hence the duration of the training.

The tempo & duration of the conflict in, for example, Afghanistan is amongst the most intense encountered in any theatre of operations in 50 years. Going back 25 years, I endured 10 consecutive days in which I was stuck below decks on a ship which was bombed, straffed, shot at - every day & set on fire (twice) whilst literally sat on top of two UXBs throughout this period, fearing they may go "bnag" at any moment. Believe me after 10 days, I had my pencils ready to ram up my nostrils and go "wibble" - it was only the lack of clean pants that prevented it, but many beat me to it at the time & have done since. Being afraid is fine, it keeps you alive, it's coping with it afterwards that's a bit more difficult. You may get a "buzz" from it, I certainly did, but rest assured there is no glamour in it.

Georgie

Reaction score
Cheers for the info mate.

Does anyone know the irish equivalent for the points needed to become an officer?

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
POC or PRMC?

Hey all, this is my first post on here cracking site though and was just lookin for a bit of advice. Started my apllications back in December as commisioned entry but it's taken to this point for the AFCO to process me, recruit tests etc. Been told my POC cant be till oct now so looking at sept 2009 entry which would be last crack because of my age then (been told im an old bastard apparently). im seriously thinking of switching my apllication to non-commissioned, want to get cracking really and was just wondering what other peoples thoughts are.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
not meaning to give a bad vibe off but if you failed officer would you still have enough time to take a prmc and get into RT? if so then go for it, but if not you may wish to play is safer and go for prmc so you have another chance if you fail that or whatever. i would personally say go for the 2009 officer entry.