Officer or not?

Bish94

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently in a dilemma of what to do with my life after sixth form. I have uni offers if I want to go, but at the moment I'm not feeling like it's the right choice for me. I am also considering a ski instructors course and a few ski season's working as an instructor. The path I'm most set on, however, is the marines. Is it worth applying for an officer position now, as I'm 18 and don't think I have enough experience I'm not feeling confident about my chances, or should I apply for standard RT? And if so, how possible is it to get an officer level promotion after training and a few years service?

Any opinions to help would be great.

Bish

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A good starting point is sit the initial recruiting test now & ask if your score meets the required level for Officer, then decide which path.

Rocky5748

Reaction score
remember you can always do uni and work ski seasons during your summer break. I have a friend who did, PM me if you want more details.

I don't know what you would study at uni, but sheffield university for example, has a ski team( good links with other countries) and a UOTC. Your really having your cake and eating it then. UOTC gives you a slight insight into mill life, your degree would help you in and after the marines, and you get to break your legs going down ski slopes at the weekend ;)

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation, I want to be an officers and am finishing my A-levels soon but I don't really want to go to Uni.

I know you can apply with A-Levels but less people get in with A-levels. I'm thinking maybe just 'other rank' but I would love to be an Officer.

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Again similar position for me as well.

I have actually gone through 2 years of part time university due to Rugby commitments. I am currently thinking that going to university is not the be all and end all. Yes, having a degree is a fantastic thing to have but its not the end of the world if you dont.

By going through uni you gain a lot of necessary life skills and experiences that come with being a student. Such as leadership opportunities, good study habits etc. This is the sort of info that looks good in the selection process and interviews and gives you that confidence to show some examples of your experience in the likes of the AIB.

Cut a long story short! If you can show in your selection that you have gained a wide range of life experiences and leadership examples without going to university I feel this is just as good! and of course if you really explain to them what you did, how and when articulately and with confidence, puts the icing on the cake!

Anyway thats just my opinoion, I hope I have helped a little and I hope you lads figure out what you want to do. Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One thing that may well influence potential Young Officers at which educational standard they wish to join, in future, the AFPRB has recommended all direct entrant officers that career and pay progression within each Service will be harmonised.

What does it mean? Non-grads commencing YO training in 2013 will start on a significantly higher income, the same as the yet to be announced graduate YO entry rate.

Potential Royal Marines Officers, who do not require a vocational degree to become eligible to apply in any case, should be aware that in future the degree will no longer provide a financial or promotional advantage after this years intake.

The latest Armed Forces Pay Review Body 2012 Report can now be downloaded: http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm82/8299/8299.pdf

Historically Officers used to be paid different wages based on their age when they joined. Obviously this could be viewed as age-discriminatory, so starting pay was based on educational qualifications, for this next year non-graduate entry Officers pay increases to ?16,073 (Other Ranks increase to ?14,145). All pay grades over ?21,000 remain frozen, so graduate entry Officers remain on ?29,587 for this year's entry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9141811/Armed-Forces-pay-cuts-damaging-morale.html

byrney

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What does it mean? Non-grads commencing YO training in 2013 will start on a significantly higher income, the same as the yet to be announced graduate YO entry rate.[/url]
Any ideas on when this amount will be announced?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I didn't realise the recommendation has already been announced in the AFPRB report, there's another thread on this issue: prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/showthread.php?t=48213

Bish94

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice guys, I think I'll follow Ninjas advice first and get in touch with my afco about sitting a recruit test.