Officer or not?

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wll i want to go o to uni and join the Marines as an Officer, but to be honest the green beret is all i think about and i cant see past getting one really. I am not niave enough to believe that injuries or faliure will never happen to me.

So what i am really asking does everyone else think it is worth risking my green beret just so i can be an officer?

Gazza_7

Reaction score
I'd be willing to risk it anyway ! But only you can decide for yourself the way I see it

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
much better money mate, if i wernt so thick i would go for it *text deleted* but its up to you, its alot harder obviosly aswell

Gazza_7

Reaction score
Wish I'd stuck in at school and had the grades, etc, to go for YO :sad2:

S

Sotiris

Why would you be risking it? You still earn the Beret at the same time during YO training as you do during RT. But the Commando tests are made more demanding.

From what I've learned and from what everybody has told me, if you can you should.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From what i have heard if you fail or get injured, thats it for you as a marine and no second chances ( im not 100% on anything as i have only really started to get very serioous about a career in the marines).

Please tell me if i am wrong, but for me the marines and the challenge are my main priority, pay does not fuss me because i would train to become a soliciter if alli wanted is money out of life.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i cant weather to go in as a recruit or officer becouse with officer within ten years time your usally sat behind a desk shuffling paper....n i dont want that

S

Sotiris

Something like 60% of the British casualties in the Falklands were Officers or NCO's. At least that's what the book I'm reading has said. "Falklands, Forgotten Voices".

You're not considered "valuable" enough to be taken out of the field until waaaaay up on the promotional ladder (from what I've learned from "Soldier" by General Sir Mike Jackson). And of course you do not need to accept a promotion if you feel that it will take you somewhere you don't want to go.

So if you're worried about not having a chance to get killed then be happy, the Corps will give you plenty of those as an Officer.

Dodo, I think the cut off point is during phase two of YO training.

JOEY

Reaction score
well my afco said to me that if you didnt have the grades to become an officer then it would'nt matter as you can work you're way up the ranking ladder and get there, or if you get two recommendations from people high up in the marines that they can in some cases allow you to do the officers course without the required grades and that is how 1 in 3 officers have done it.

Sometimes if you go in staright as an officer then you dont always get the respect that you deserve, where as if you have worked to get into that position then you do to a certain extent.

May not be all true but only forwarding what i have heard. :Wisper:

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you are injured there are plenty of second chances, that's why hunter company exists, as well as military hospitals and rehabilitation programs for people injured in the field.

I think you are getting it confused with a Corps Commission. That's for ratings who become an Officer, now if you mess that up then your out. But for civvies straight into YO training there are other opportunities. But you want to focus on getting there first, and not worrying about being injured.

I think if you get killed you are back trooped to hunter company but I'm not so sure...good for all the attention you get though.

JOEY

Reaction score
alright *text deleted* to be honest with you since joining this site ive learnt *text deleted**text deleted* loads about the marines etc that i never really thought about before or didnt kinow about.:nuts:

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers guys, all of you have been alot of help and have really put my mind to rest. Now i feel alot more comfortable with trying to join as an officer. I still have 5 years until i join but im not wasting that time (currently go running etc.).

thanks again, its a reall grat site and it really does help people accomplish their dreams.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think for a commission you need 5 A*-C's

It'd probably still be 180 UCAS points with any grade requirements, thats like what, two C's?

And yea JOEY, afco guy was right with the respect, experianced soldiers can get pissy if they get a fresh LT leading them. Hence why having an experianced NCO is usually vital.