Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Officer pay and expenses

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Not_Real_Name, May 28, 2020.

1. Not_Real_Name

Not_Real_Name New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    I just wanted to start this thread to see if anyone had any more information on officer cost of living. Any information I can find is pretty old so I'm assuming is somewhat out of date.

I was wondering how much rent and food cost, both during training and after, and was there anything that you were expected or recommended you buy? like extra equipment?

I understand that a lot of this depends on personal situations and that I should be focusing on getting in first. However, it is still a job like any other and I was curious as to how much beer money I would have every month.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I will ask my lad next time he calls, currently deployed, but the pay is pretty good

You will, as training goes on, spend a fair amount on kit, takeaways and obviously your mess bill.
    Once you get your Green Lid you get about 5k a year extra, so for the last five months of training more spending money

Anyway best of luck

• Like Like x 3
  3. Flubberdog

Flubberdog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As @TheRents says, there seems to be no shortage of beer money!

When you start YO training you will be too busy to accumulate too much of a mess bill and as a commissioned second lieutenant the pay is pretty good. About £26k to start if I recall correctly.

Certainly some of the lads buy extra kit from time to time, but set against that there are no commuting costs! :D

Concentrate on the getting in part. It is a huge challenge and immensely worthwhile. Good luck with your application and the hurdles you will have to overcome!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

Wish I got an extra 5k a year! :D

5. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    You did!