Officer promotion prospects

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by spartan rm, Nov 4, 2016.

1. spartan rm

spartan rm New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi there,
    Sorry if this has been asked before. Are the promotion prospects still different for those with degrees? Or different types of degree? if not what are the timescales for each promotion?

@Ninja_Stoker perhaps you could enlighten me.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  2. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/salary-and-graduate-bonus-commando-vs-officer.95224/

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. spartan rm

spartan rm New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DD

DD Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    From what I've read on other similar threads, Corps Commission is difficult because you've got a much bigger pool of leadership talent (from trained ranks who've proved their worth in ops, etc) compared to civvie YOs. So I wouldn't imagine having a degree would give you an edge promotion wise.

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

A degree doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. There will be Marines in a Company who will have better degrees than the Officer in charge.

A recent King's Badgeman was given a Corps Commission and placed on this years YO batch. Chances of it happening in the near future? Rare as rocking horse poo.

There is the Senior Corps Commission which can be applied for once you have been promoted to SNCO. This is probably what you are referring to. The roles that SCC carry out are generally admin based, but provide a good career path up until the age of around 50 to 55? Happy to be corrected on this one.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Direct Entry Regular RM Officers

All RM Young Officers join as Second Lieutenant. After 2 years’ service and successful completion of Phase 2 training they are promoted to Lieutenant, three years after promotion to Lieutenant, direct entry officers are promoted to Captain.

Corps Commission RM & RMR (CC):

Age on entry to the Officer Corps. RM OR candidates must be aged over 17 and below the age of 26 for regulars, 30 for Reserves, on the first day of the month that officer training commences.

Other ranks promoted via the CC scheme will be awarded the same rank and seniority on entry as their Direct Entry officer counterparts in the regular service.

Senior Corps Commission (SCC) Regular RM:

WO2s and below join CTCRM as a Lieutenant with 6 months' seniority. Individuals are eligible for promotion to the rank of Captain on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Lieutenant (i.e. 2 years after joining the Officer Corps). On promotion to Lieutenant, officers are awarded an additional year's seniority and are therefore eligible to enter the Captain-Major promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Captain).

All WO1s (bar former Corps Regimental Sergeant Majors) join CTCRM as a Lieutenant with 18 months' seniority. Individuals are eligible for promotion to the rank of Captain on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Lieutenant (i.e. 1 year after joining the Officer Corps). On promotion to Captain, officers are awarded an additional year's seniority and are therefore eligible to enter the Captain-Major promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years seniority as a Captain).

Former Corps Regimental Sergeant Majors join CTCRM directly as a Captain with one year's seniority and are eligible to enter the Captain-Major promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Captain).

Pages 64 & 65 of the Armed Forces Pay Review Body gives exact rates of pay for Officers under the New Employment model, it's the same for regulars and reservists, regardless of age; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...9_Armed_Forces_Pay_Review_2016_Accessible.pdf

Basically a RM Officer currently starts on £25, 727
    Increasing one year later to £30,923
    Increasing one year later to £32,009
    Increasing one year later to £33,094
    Increasing one year later to £34,180
    Followed by Promotion and increasing to £39,629 for two years
    Increasing one year later to £40,879
    Increasing one year later to £42,128 etc., etc.

7. Rover

Rover Moderator

A number of years ago there was a lack of suitable Royal Marine officer candidates for the SBS.

It was noted that instead of trying to find/train suitable candidates via selection and then being mentored by the SC1’s, it would be far better to promote a number of SC1’s to officers.

Hence you now had officers fully experienced and qualified to command SB operational units.

Initial promotion being to Lieutenant rising in due course upwards to Lieutenant Colonel in at least one case.

This happened when the SBS came directly under control of the Royal Marines. Now being tri-service regarding selection there is a bigger pool to select from.

The SCC as Alan refers is still a valid option.......given time.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Caversham

Similarly when 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron was disbanded and transferred over to the RN, all SNCO pilots were promoted to officer. Better than being the MTO or Imprest Officer in a Unit!

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  9. blacky

blacky Member

Would the kingsbadge man of had the same qualifications as officer entry or would that not of been needed as he already had shown what he could do?

That will be 24 month continuous training for the man. Some serious commitment

10. Caversham

My guess is that he would have to have been educationally qualified, but he would have been selected for a CC solely on his leadership qualities. Interestingly and I stand to be corrected, it's a one way street. If he doesn't make the grade, or doesn't like the job then he's out. No returning to the ranks for him. Highly unlikely though.

As for 24 months at CTC, I'd had enough after 9 months! Must be a glutton for kit musters!

Alan

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. blacky

blacky Member

That is very true I thought that myself about you can't return very strange in his case as he has never been at a unit even. Would be very interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who has been through OR training then onto YO training.
    Very different expectations etc.

Should be more squared away with admin etc as having completed it all before.